[OMT] Liverpool H [PL] Sat 15 Sept 2018 12:30 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by AlabamaSpur, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Don’t think it matters what formation we set up in, we just don’t have the quality....When Kane isn’t at the races we not only struggle to score, but we can’t get the ball to stick in the opposition half, and by the time the fullbacks get up they are turning around and having to run straight back again, that’s how Trippier was caught out for the second goal.....Kane has been playing non stop now for 3 years and I’m gonna cut him some slack, but the Kane injured/suspended/tired/out of form problem has been at the club for the same 3 years and tight wad Levy has done sweet f-all about it, only offer Pochettino second rate cheap ass players....I’m nearly tempted to suggest not playing him in the league and keeping him fresh for the CL, at least until we get out of the group....Kane needs the rest and we need Kane....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Yeah I think we could do well having Lucas up top on his own. As ridiculous as leaving Kane out...I actually don't think it's ridiculous.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Don’t know what the answer is, weather it’s Lucas on his own or a combination of 2, or even that top class attacking player we “didn’t” buy in the summer....but if Kane is struggling now (and a blind man can see that he is) then what’s he going to be like when it’s 2 games a week for 3 months.....
  4. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    With Lamela Dele and Son all not starting we were impossibly thin up top.
  5. VASpur Active Member

VASpur
    Ratings:
    +322 / 13 / -0
    So from 5 games they are title contenders...... got it

I reserve judgments until after October when there is a better sample size and teams begin separating themselves.
  6. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    It’s not just the 5 games this season but last season too, they set out under Klopp to build a team to win the league and win in Europe, and slowly but surely they are getting there, adding piece by piece within their budget, do I think they will win it this season?, not sure, but I wouldn’t bet my last dollar they won’t....
    But surly contenders? yes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    Well that sucked. The whole team looked flat-footed and off the pace. Our legs just looked tired. The looseness of the passes was incredible. I hate to blame fatigue after the Int'l break, but it sure did look a bit like that. I have no idea what the solution is--people just have to play through it I guess. I do think we need to give a big middle finger to the Caribou Cup and just play our B team in it. Our A team needs the rest.

4 players for me have to be called out for a particularly poor performance. Dier was actually quite involved but that back pass was totally inexcusable. Vorm made some decent saves, but they were all ones you'd expect any PL keeper to make. He absolutely blew the punch on the first goal, and while the second goal wasn't really his fault, I 100% believe Lloris makes that play and doesn't let the ball fall through his hands. Winks was perhaps the most disappointing since he's considered such an important part of Spurs' future--he was basically invisible today playing a position where we direly needed him to contribute defensively and then get the ball upfield into dangerous positions. He did none of that. Kane did not look at all like the Kane of old. Liverpool did a very good job of marking him out of the game, but when you're the star of the team you have to find a way.

In terms of praise, Lamela certainly looked excellent when he came on. Moura also was good if you can look pass the sitter he missed (I can't). I thought Dembele's performance was much better than people on this forum are saying. He made some nice plays in the first half.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. lillywhite Active Member

lillywhite
    Ratings:
    +81 / 4 / -0
    Watched the highlights today, we looked worse than we did live yesterday. You wouldn't see a Sunday pub side make some of those mistakes. I know a lot will not agree but I'm sick of hearing excuses for Kane etc suffering world cup hangovers. He won possibly the cheapest golden boot you will ever see because the group was the weakest, up against any quality and it would have been different. It's not fatigue, the fact is he's not the player he was and needs a fair few games sitting it out on the bench. I'm not denying he gets into good positions and will score 1 out of two chances (though he does miss sitters too) but his speed is a big problem. I agree with those who say Moura and Son up front. Dier just doesn't cut the mustard as do a few others. I can't understand though why so many of our best players were a shambles yesterday, I worry that Poch can still blame World cup for that performance. I worry at his lack of ability to get the players up for such a big game. He keeps saying we will learn from our mistakes but never do. Yes we should have had a penalty but that would just paper over the fact we were totally thumped.
  9. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0
    I the last 3 seasons, the only player we have added to our starting 11 is Moura, whereas Liverpool have changed almost their entire starting 11. We also swapped out Walker for a bench player in Aurier.

We have stood still and persisted with this squad, who now look like they have nothing left to give. They blew the 15/16 season and the 16/17 season should have been ours as the squad was at its peak.

This squad wasn't good enough at its peak, and now in decline we run the risk of dropping out of the top 4. Moura is a welcome addition; but we desperately need a new midfield; with Wanyama long term injured, Dembele on decline and Dier/Winks simply not the level required to challenge for a title.

I was hoping Poch had some genius plan for this season; but it seems its more of the same. It really would not surprise me to see him drop Moura in the next game and tot kane's poor form down to Moura's movement.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Del Boy N17 Active Member

Del Boy N17
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -0
    I’m really disappointed that Poch & Levy genuinely thought we’d be ok with standing still, we look shattered already, & there’s no shame in losing to Liverpool, however the manner in which we lost is simply not good enough, I’d personally think about taking Harry out of the spot light & give him a much needed rest & stick Son or Moura as our striker, also hoping Wanyama can get back to near his best as Dier for me is not good enough in CM, & Poch has to play Gazzinega because Vorm is shite, it’s a shame because I honestly think we’ve got a long hard season ahead of us :(
  11. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Looking at the last two performances tells us all we need to know, not just the fact they were defeats but the manor in which they happened was embarrassing. Watford are a poor side and then Liverpool should have absolutely hammered us, infact getting beat 2-1 yesterday is probably the most flattering result we will have this season.
    The club will continue to dish out the excuses and a lot of fans will gobble those excuses up as fact and we will go merely on about the season still fcuking dreaming about competing for thropies....
    At the end of this season I will fully understand if some of the top players want away, normally In the past I wouldn’t, and just put it done to greed or ego, but now I just think if I was fed this “project” crap for 4 years and yet no real ambition was shown to improve the quality I would be on my bike too....Levy just wants more and more out of everyone, the manager, the players, the fans.....
    This stadium was supposed to not effect our team, well obviously when your only target in the summer was a 15m smash and grab championship player it obviously has effected it...a 400m project turning into 1bn is gonna do that I’m afraid, and that’s on Levy!!
  12. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    Of course playing non-stop for a year is an excuse. Or at least a reason for dozy play. You only have to note how much better Lamela and Lucas are playing than the others to see the difference. And then there has got to be a general depression over the stadium. It's a big distraction for all no matter what is said. And doubts have crept in about the future of the club. The question is, what can be done? I think solutions are hard to find. I don't like panic buying, but hitting up the owner for a big wad of cash and buying a couple of dominant midfielders at midseason might be the only way. Near term I would bench Kane for a month.
  13. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    Totally agree about HK - send him on holiday for a couple of weeks or so and use Son and Moura. On its own, I'm not particularly concerned about the failure to sign anyone in the last window, it's just the whole policy over the past few years and I wonder how much longer Poch will stick with us. If he gets a job offer where he will be properly backed by a club then he'll be gone and who can blame him?
  14. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    I can imagine the exchange after the match.

Klopp: Good game Mo!

Pochettino: You're one lucky SOB!
  15. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,789 / 49 / -0
    One angle I am looking at is the difference in the togetherness of the players that was so strong last season, doesnt seem to be there in the same way, and I think this is down to MP changing the team round a lot this season.
    He keeps changing the starting eleven which is unlike last year when it was pretty much the same settled team , which had a strong bond between them and I"m not sure its working this time round, with players who were expected to leave this summer now getting back in, for me there is a physical fatigue but I think it could be a mental fatigue issue as well.
  16. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +372 / 8 / -0
    I THINK ITS THE FORMATION THATS FOOKING THE TEAM UP, WE PLAYED WELL FOR 3 YEARS WITH kANE UP TOP WITH 3 BEHIND AND ALL OF A SUDDEN HE HAS A PARTNER
  17. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +372 / 8 / -0
    oops caps....