[OMT] Manchester United at Old Trafford [PL] Mon 27th Aug 2018 20:00 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by pistols_at_dawn, Aug 22, 2018.

1. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / 60 / -0
    We'd better sign some players. Cant win with this transfer philosophy
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -0
    Good thing Rose pulled up lame or Lucas would have gone off for Winks. Now we can do the sub
  3. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -0
    Winning in Old Trafford is only one of the hardest games this season. No way we can win it without new signings. Good thing we have some, right?

Now if only we had a place to play our home games....
  4. Tott_BeBop The poster formerly knows as T.K. Massive

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -0
    Oh how the times have changed. Couldn't put it any better than the Guardian. [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    What’s the song they’re singing about Lucas?
  6. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +876 / 22 / -0
    Dembele was a THE REV RIPSHER!! MONSTER today. 9/10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tott_BeBop The poster formerly knows as T.K. Massive

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -0
    One Lucas Moura?
  8. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +876 / 22 / -0
    I apologize to the lads for doubting them! Clean sheet it is!
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +476 / 4 / -0
    So proud of em'. Kanes header amazing, Moura just outstanding, and Tobys the best CB in the Prem. Just hope it don't kick us in the arse - Mourinho gotta be on borrowed time, and you know exactly in what direction Utd are gonna be looking. Poch more important to us than any player.

Fantastic 3pts.......COYS!!!!
  10. MichiganStateSpur18 Active Member

MichiganStateSpur18
    Ratings:
    +179 / 4 / -0
    This is the result that can happen when you don't strengthen your rivals in the transfer market.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I love the way Moura's first instinct with the ball is to take a extra five yards. It's like having an extra man on the field.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    It's crazy how Toby looked out the door, and now he's back alongside Vert, bossing the game like nothing happened. It's obviously tough having to leave out Sanchez, when he has been brilliant and not done anything to get dropped apart from not be as good as Toby.
  13. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    [​IMG]

COYS

First goal was key and the Lucas show

Mike
  14. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / 60 / -0
    It'll just give us really good rotation for the CL and FA
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Alright I will be a little bit of a wet blanket but not too wet...just damp.

I thought we were just OK today. An awful first 25 minutes, and then played pretty well but not great after that. Man U certainly should've been up at least 1-0 if not 2-0 at the 25 minute mark, and the game would probably have gone very differently if that were the case. We probably would've been lucky to draw if down 2-0 at 25 minutes.

Man U, on the other hand, were very strong in the first half, but with every goal we scored in the 2nd half, they played dramatically worse. The real difference in the teams right now is that we are mentally strong and they are mentally weak.

The performances were a mixed bag.

The good: Moura was clearly MOTM. A decent first half followed by a great second half. Loved how he scored our 2nd goal taking that pass from Eriksen beautifully and the last goal was just an absolutely incredible run and individual effort. Vert was our strongest defender in H1 and then Toby was fantastic in H2....overall a good showing from our CBs. Kane's holdup play was really good--one of the bright spots of H1--and his goal while being fully marked was a thing of beauty. Lloris did everything asked of him.

The meh: Dembele didn't do nearly enough in H1 but was better in H2. Not one of his vintage performances though as we got bossed in the midfield early in the game. Eriksen didn't get on the ball nearly enough and was fairly invisible for large chunks of the game but did make a few brilliant passes. Dele didn't convert in a couple of key goal scoring situations, but I thought he worked really hard out there. Trippier got totally dominated by Luke Shaw in the first half. But we know this about Trippier--he's not a great defender. In the second half, when we started dominating possession, Trippier unsurprisingly started playing much better since he was being asked to do offensive things instead of defensive things. He was really dire in H1 though--I had him in the Bad bucket but decided his better second half gets him into the meh bucket.

The bad: Have to start with Rose here. His back pass should've put us down 1-0 and probably would've cost us the game. He played better the rest of the half, but then made a couple more errors when playing more centrally in H2. Didn't do anything offensively. Clearly the worst player for Spurs, but I'm glad he got a run out--we NEED Rose to work his way into good form if we're going to have a great year. And then finally Dier was bad the entire game. Missing tackles, getting the ball taken off him. I really think we are going to struggle in midfield this year--we just don't have the options we need at DM or CM.

Thrilled we got the points and Man U are in such a terrible spot. I still think this team has some weaknesses that make a title challenge near impossible, but obviously 9 points from 3 matches is as good as it gets.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  16. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0

Trippier had one assist from a corner and should have had two if Kane had stuck the second header. As I've said before, scoring from corners has been our greatest area of underperformance, so that is great to see. I hope we will see reason to play a back three from time to time so Trippier can be more involved on the attacking end and less on the defensive.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Trippier's corner on the first goal was good, but surely 90% of the credit has to go to Kane, who was fully marked but still beat his man. I mean, Trippier did his job--he put a good ball into the box, but that still fails the vast majority of the time. On the flip side, Kane missing that easy header was criminal....was that from a corner? My recollection is it came from the left side not the right.

I certainly love Trippier's crossing and he absolutely makes the team better with it. I agree on the back 3....I still think it's our best lineup, given how weak our defending at the RB spot is (whether it's Trippier or Aurier). And our defending at LB hasn't been great this year either.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    Fook's sake Toby was so good, one of the most polished and classy CB performances I've ever seen.

If he plays like that all season, I don't care if we sell him for pennies this summer, I'm just glad we've got him one more season.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Anyone notice the TA and JV reversed positions? I didn't myself but read that they did. Anyway, I can't recall that happening before.
  20. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    I did not notice it, and think that's really weird given Jan is a natural LCB and Toby a RCB.
  21. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I wonder what the thought was?
  22. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Never interested in performance, stats or if onlys when playing a top 4, title rival, whatever it is called at their ground...3pts end off!!
    • Like Like x 1
  23. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +433 / 17 / -0
    Come on lads, it's just 3 points against a mid-table team, can't get too carried away.

Besides, the real test will be the top of the table clash next week....at Watford :p
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +376 / 8 / -0
    Diagonal balls to Moura maybe?
  25. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    We were fortunate during the first 30 minutes, but from there on we played well and took our chances.

What has struck me during this early part of the season, is two things. The players who had some success at the WC seem to be showing a slightly better attitude than before, which is probably a confidence thing. Secondly, is that Poch is talking tougher in public about what is expected from the team. I believe that these two things are responsible for an excellent start to the season. If we beat Watford, well, who knows....?

I just wish that DL/Poch could do the necessary to get Toby (and Eriksen) to sign new contracts - Toby showed last evening what a superb player he is. If Man Utd had signed him last night's result could have been so different.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    Unusual game and although Utd were on top earlier in it was in a headless manic manner. Main chance they had was very little to do with them but rather a bit of a brain fart from Rose. We should also have had a pen.

As always in a tight game it was the first goal that unlocked them and from then on we produced some great stuff.

Rose coming off instead of Lucas resulted in the third goal and that was it.

Roll on Sunday.

Mike
  27. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    The performance was almost perfect. Second half was the biggest show of dominance I've seen from a Poch side. It's alright doing it at home but winning 3-0 at Old Trafford is as emphatic as it gets.

Pace kills. Moura was looking unplayable. It's hard to fault anything really. Even Rose recovered well. Again the threat of his pace pegged them back second half.

First half we were our own downfall really. Eriksen too negative and Alli too indecisive. As soon as we started hitting decent forward passes, they couldn't cope.

That's a right statement of intent. What's the media going to pick at now?
    Dave,
  28. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    So listening to the “day after” thoughts from sky sports and you’d swear it was Utd v Utd last night, don’t think they mentioned Spurs doing anything positive the entire time...not surprising of course.....
    Then there’s the spitting dolphin (who let him back by the way?) saying Utd need to spend 200m to really challenge the title....ok maybe a fair point there Jamie as they do need about 3 new defenders and they ain’t cheap, but that’s seriously your expert opinion, to spend more money? Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that good coaching plays a part too and this “special one” we hear so much druel about is perhaps after all, a complete fraud??
  29. anderton46 Active Member

anderton46
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else wonder how Kane manages to score so many goals and also miss so many good chances?

Last week he missed 2 sitters and then had 1/2 more today that you'd really expect him to tuck away.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0

Not true as far as I could tell. They lined up like normal. Maybe Toby was just over on the cover a few times, but his starting position was RCB.