[OMT] Manchester United at Old Trafford [PL] Mon 27th Aug 2018 20:00 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by pistols_at_dawn, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Cause good players get into good positions and get the most chances. Watch any other top player for a few full 90 mins and you'll realise they miss a lot of chances or they'd be coming away with hat tricks every game.
  2. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    Harry is on 3 in the stats alongside a few others including Salah.
    Main thing is he’s scored 2 in 3 games.

I worry more when chances aren’t being created, not missed.

Watched the game again today.

Really interesting watching Poch with the players after the game. Special attention to Lloris. Good stuff.

Great team spirit.

Mike
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  3. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    All strikers, no matter how good, miss plenty of chances - Greaves, Law, Best, Pele, Gerd Müller, Messi, Ronaldo, etc - it don't matter as long as they score plenty as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    Kane misses a lot of good chances, perhaps more than he should.

But his strongest attribute is putting the misses behind him. Soldado and Janssen had a mental block after they missed a few sitters. Harry misses one and it's like it never happened in his head.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -0
    Massive game. Glad I got to watch it live, even if it was on my phone. I have heard people say that the first 30 minutes was the most intense, most aggressive they've seen ManU play in years. In fairness, they completely dominated us for those early minutes and we needed a lot of luck for them to shank the ball a few times. Us playing like rubbish didn't help. (In fairness we did have a clear penalty not called) If they had completed their passes rather than give us the ball so many times they would have been terrifying. I understand there were more interceptions in that game than any other this season. A game however, is 90 minutes, not 30. Once we got settled in and adjusted to their tactics it was a different game. As in many times in the past, we absorbed their punches, bided out time, scored and curb stomped them once they became demoralized.

Lloris - Did everything asked of him and made some amazing reaction saves. Avoided his one brain fart per game. Got completely burned by Lukaku at the beginning but that was all down to Rose. Wasn't much Lloris could do besides try to clean up the mess and he did force Lukaku to go wide around him, thus giving him a bad angle on the open net, which he duly shanked.

Rose - 1st half. Ugh. 2nd half. Meh. Played like a man who has not played in ages, which to be fair he hasn't. Gifted them a goal which we somehow survived. Fred beat him a lot. I notice Lloris stopped rolling the ball to him after a while, almost as if he didn't trust him with it. It might also have had to do with the fact ManU kept an extra man on the right side to continually attack Rose. Later in the game he was bombing down the left side wide open and people still weren't passing to him. Hopefully he'll get a few more games to clear the rust out. Rotation is key with wingbacks and Davies needs help if we are going to challenge for cups as well as the title.

Vert/Toby - Showed why they are the tag-team champions. I did notice Toby on the left second half. Covering for Rose maybe? ManU clogged the right side a lot. Is Toby faster than Jan?

Trippier - 1st half was completely owned by Shaw. (My bad. I had initially thought it was Matic covering him. It was Shaw playing out of his mind) Perhaps that allowed them to put the extra man on the right? They already had us beat 1v1. 2nd half when we were on the attack he came into his own, got open and played like the Trippier we love.

Dier - I couldn't really see Dier do much on my phone, which must be an indictment. They kept blowing past out midfield in the middle, requiring the CBs to help. From that I can only presume Dier wasn't doing his job properly.

Dembele - Did a lot of fighting for the ball. Was up against it vs. Pogba but did much better this time around. I remember one scene where Pogba had the ball and was pulling a classic Dembele by stiff arming Dembele and waiting for backup. Dembele was trying to tear through him like a rabid putbull and it was all Pogba could do to hold him off and keep possession. Meanwhile no one in red came to his aid. Plenty of white shirts though saying "I'll take it!". Pogba ultimately passed the ball out of bounds and was absolutely livid with his teammates. Ah, good times...

Dele - Continues to show the drive of 2 years ago when he lit the Premier League up. Deserves the start again, even if he came up empty with his shots this time. He's starting to track back and take the ball back more, which is a very good thing, even if he loses possession too much.

Lucas - Accidentally kicked Jones in the face and escaped with a yellow. It was only a yellow but some refs are jerks and would give a red for that. Fouled in the box for an uncalled penalty by Jones. I suspect Jones did not appreciate said kick. He targeted Lucas a bit in the first half. I admit I had thought Lamela might be a better inclusion in the second half but was glad to be wrong. His pace proved lethal. 2 shots on goal. 2 goals. Nice. Was going to be subbed off for Winks on 82'. In fact they had already announced the change and Lucas had said his goodbyes when they realized Rose needed to come off. I presume that since Lucas had not physically stepped off the pitch and Winks on they could abort it. Quick subbed Davies for Rose instead and Lucas finished the game. Netted the security shot on 84' to put the game to bed. MOTM

Kane - Continues his "I can score in August" with a long rage blast of a header. Last week he looked ragged towards the end and was clearly not 100% match fit. This time he looked much more sharp and battled better. Missed what he did to get the yellow. Want to say these 2 yellows in a row is about what he normally gets in an entire season. Having 2 up top helps him since he isn't always double/triple covered. As the game wore on and we were able to make space he had a beauty of a pass to Lucas who raced for the goal.

Subs
    Aurier 76' for Trippier - We were up 2-0 at the time and I presume either Trippier needed a rest or we needed fresh legs to deal with ManU's subs. Had a relatively uneventful 15 minutes, which for him is a good game. Nothing spectacular, but nothing stupid. Would have preferred to see KWP get minutes but can see why Poch went with the experienced player in a game such as this.

Davies 82' for Rose - Was supposed to be Winks for Lucas but Davies came on for a cramping(?) Rose. Game was put to bed 2 minutes later so he didn't have much to do other than secure the shutout.

Winks 89' for Kane - Winks finally came on for Stoppage time minutes and to give Kane an ovation (perhaps rest. He was supposed to be subbed off for Llorente a week or two ago but had to finish when Dier came up lame). Game was long over by then. My feed died at that time so I never got to see him play.

We made many mistakes. Too many really, but we are still recovering from the World Cup. So were ManU and they seemed intent on making as many mistakes as us but we proved the better side. I expect both of us will improve as the season rolls on. We'll need to. Coming up next is surprise undefeated Watford and after the break unsurprisingly undefeated Liverpool. They both beat Brighton and Crystal Palace. Watford defeated Burnley (in Burnley) which is impressive considering Burnley's last few seasons and Liverpool crushed West Ham, which is always awesome. We meanwhile have gotten our Newcastle and Old Trafford games out of the way and won both. If we can win both games then Chelsea is the only team that can stay perfect along with us.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -0
    Kane's work ethic is sick. He wants to be the best in the world, and its like he uses failure as fuel to improve. Remember the Liverpool game last season where he got 2 penalties, missed the first and buried the second? After the game he just said you don't give me 2 chances. If he misses a shot he just figures he'll hit with the next. No biggie. As you said, some players can't get beyond that past failure.

I felt bad for Soldado. He tried so hard but just couldn't do it. Granted he was a poacher and AVB refused to use him as one.
  7. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Kane's yellow card was BS. If anything it should have been a foul on the other player. It's never called that way I admit. But it's a 50/50 ball. Kane got there first but because the other player stuck his leg in there, which he had no need to do (not even going for the ball), and got clipped on the follow through, it's a yellow.
  8. AJ201 Well-Known Member

AJ201
    Ratings:
    +917 / 25 / -0
    His mind probably tells him it was Eriksen that had the shot :)
  9. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    Ouch!

Mike
  10. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    It was a bad decision, which was also the view of Mark Clattenburg.
  11. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / 60 / -0
    Just watched a little ESPNFC analysis of the game. They all decided that we aren't really contenders and we won because United isn't on the same page o_O
  12. AJ201 Well-Known Member

AJ201
    Ratings:
    +917 / 25 / -0
    It's ok I doubt Harry reads the forum :) Frankly the ref was a bit shit, none of the first four yellow cards theirs or ours were really yellow, I don't think Jones actually got touched and if you put your head down that low there's a chance you might get kicked, there's a reason it's called football which Jones doesn't seem to have worked out yet. Moura also pulls out as soon as he sees Jones.

Toby and Jan did end up on the wrong side but I don't think it was a tactical switch it just came during turnovers (twice that I saw).
  13. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    It’s hard to disagree. Our team is strong at GK, CB and at attacking positions but not good enough at fullback, DM, and maybe CM. Top 4 contenders sure, but a PL title challenge would be surprising.
  14. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I agree about the other yellow cards, but Moura was lucky he wasn't thrown out. His foot was over his head and he missed whoever it was, Jones?, by about a half an inch. If he hits him in the face, there's blood and Moura is thrown out no question. Makes you realize how small a thing a season can turn on. If he goes out we probably loose the game, and he's suspended, with Son gone and Lamela injured. Instead he stays in, and we win, and Moura is the next great thing, and we've got a full head of steam and are off to a great start. All for a half an inch.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    Accidents happen with high feet normally unintentionally as this was. They should not be red cards whatever the outcome. I would argue that Pogba over the top on Moura when ref gave free kick to Pogba was worse. Far more likely to cause career threatening injury.
    Jones couldn’t get his foot as high as Moura because he’s not athletic enough. It was an accident.

Mike
  16. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    It was unintentional of course.
  17. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / 60 / -0
    It wasn't about if we'd win the PL. It was more like Spurs are worse than last year and ManU is in dissary
  18. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    I don't think we are title contenders, but FOOK ME WE JUST WON 3-0 AT OLD TRAFFORD!!!

I feel like our fans have become spoiled. We need to take a moment to realize what we just witnessed.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +376 / 8 / -0
    Just imagine whats gonna happen when we play well for 90 mins ;)
  20. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    Instructions to referees are that in the case of a high foot, only if it results in serious injury is it to be a red card. Other than that a yellow must be issued.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    I disagree agree on a few points.
    Are we strong enough to put in a challenge to win the PL? Yeah, personally I believe we are. Can we actually do it? That I don't know but IMO we're gonna be in the mix.
    Citeh are a huge force & if we're gonna do it they are the team we're gonna have to finish above,also there's no doubt that Liverpool are a strong team too but then so are we. We'll be about IMO.
    In Trippier, Davis & a hopefully once playing regularly, a fully rejuvenated Rose I think we've got 3 top FB's. Only Aurier fulls into the bracket of 'not good enough' IMO.
    DM wise I think we're definitely strong enough, we have 2 very good ones.
    I love Eric Dier & yeah u guessed it he loves me, ok he didn't have one of his best games the other night, but for me on the whole he does a great job playing the role Poch asks of him when screening our defence. Victor Wanyama is also a beast in that position too. DM? sorted for me.
    Lastly I'd partially agree that in CM we could be stronger. Added to what we have we probably should have bought 1 quality player in.
    The Moose is a top top player, as good as anyone else out their in his position when fully fit. There in lies the problem though, his body often lets him down. If we manage him well this season minute wise & if he stays relatively injury free he could make the difference.
    It was interesting to see on Monday night how deep he played. Much deeper than normal with very few surges forward with the ball at his feet into the United half. Is this how Poch is going to manage him? Cut down his charges forward & play him in a deeper role meaning less running up & down the pitch.
    With Lucas, Sonny & Lamela to fit in further forward I think we could well see both Dele & Eriksen playing CM roles in the side & lets not forget we have Harry Winks, a player I rate highly, to come in too.
    I'm not saying we have the best side in the world & I'm not saying we'll win the PL this season but I really do think we are strong enough to have ago at it.
    COYS!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    I was pleased to see Winks on the field against Utd, even though it was for just a few minutes. I trust he doesn't incur any further injuries because he has great potential.
  23. Tott_BeBop The poster formerly knows as T.K. Massive

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -0
    Can't wait for Son to get back, and hopefully on the high of being exempt from the military. If he and Moura and can link up as well as I'm sure we're all hoping then we could have a incredible attack. For me it's time to look in to another solid CDM.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +876 / 22 / -0
    Ya Ya on a free, playing on half his wages, with a huge chip on his shoulder!
  25. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Pressing? I can't see it.
  26. Tott_BeBop The poster formerly knows as T.K. Massive

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -0
    Lol wasn't Yaya in London for some medical?
  27. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    yeah, suppose to be going to Olympiakos (not sure why he's had a medical in London)
  28. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / 60 / -0
    I heard Jose needs a midfielder...