[OMT] PSV Eindhoven A [UCL] Wed 24 Oct 2018 17:55 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by USspur, Oct 22, 2018.

1. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    I am not arguing that we played a mistake free 90 minutes.

But we scored 3 goals to their 2. We were clearly the better team. We should have 3 points next to our name with the exact performance we put in. Don't let the referee off the hook by deflecting any of this onto the team.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    I cant believe you are thinking its as simplistic as that. The 'offside' goal gets given, the game pattern would change.

Your point would be valid if the disallowed goal made it 3-1 but it never. We equalise and how the hell do we know Moura makes it 2-1?

Its not Football Manager 1986 for the Spectrum.
    Dave,
  3. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,142 / 35 / -0

What the actual f**k is wrong with you? If anything have a go out our comical brain frats, but attack Harry? Jesus, bud.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    We were clearly the far better team over 90 minutes. So if you want to talk about performances, we deserved to win on that basis as well.
  5. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    We have played so badly this season and there seems to be little sign of it changing - tippy-tappy, crappy football with players seemingly afraid to venture into their opponents' half of the field. I believe that some of this is the result of the lack of investment in the team over the past few years, which has finally caught up with us. We are now out of the CL and if we fail to get into the PL top four then some of our best players will be off to pastures new. Eriksen looked completely shell-shocked at the end of the match.

How did we let such a poor team as PSV into the game? God help us against Man City.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Up from Dover Active Member

Up from Dover
    Ratings:
    +192 / 6 / -0
    Ok so the ref was poor but that's two away games now where Spurs have been bossing the match with only 5 mins or so to go and they've let the other side score.
    Add to that their failure to take chances at the other end and kill the opposition off, and Spurs are left with 1 point when it should have been 6 from two away games.
    So frustrated!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +476 / 4 / -0

No you don't. :thumb:

Its not about results, its about continually making stupid, ridiculous mistakes in big games costing us.
  8. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    The ref did not make Toby or Lloris do what they did, nor was he responsible for the players not killing the game off when they had the chance at 2-1 , there is a distinct lack of belief/togetherness in each other that was so prevalent last season.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. lillywhite Active Member

lillywhite
    Ratings:
    +81 / 4 / -0
    Harry has not been the player he was for a good while now. OK he's marked heavily but other natural scorers get the same treatment and still find a way. Harry is not fast and that is a heavy burden when your a striker. Don't get me wrong he's a brilliant passer and holds the ball up well but he's no Aguero. He's an important part in our side but we still lack a top striker.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    If I was leading up to a game against Spurs, I'd be showing my team film of our build up, and working on pressing our defenders. Not only do we absolutely force this playing out from the back, we're pretty predictable while we do it. Toby's mistake, was something I'm waiting to happen every game we play. I see it's advantages, but when you force it as much as we do, you're asking for trouble.

Overall, the performance was good, though. We responded well to the first goal, and were doing fine until Lloris flew out like a maniac, and got himself sent off. He didn't need to do that in my opinion, but erratic decision making has always been part of Lloris' game.

It'll be incredibly tough to qualify now, and if we end up in the Europa League, I personally hope we make a real go of it.
  11. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    3 of our best 5 performances have been in the CL but here we sit with 1 point.
  12. aimson Active Member

aimson
    Ratings:
    +227 / 9 / -0
    Ok, but lets turn it around then. They have two players in offside position for their 2-2 goal. That should have been disallowed by the same assistant ref that disallowed Sanchez' goal, if he was consequent. Makes it 2-1 for us!
  13. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +433 / 17 / -0
    Over the past few seasons we have been able more or less to go toe to toe with City and Liverpool. Those are teams that would have battered PSV,I'm positive of that. Liverpool played us off the park earlier this season. And I'm terrified about Monday when we play City. We have stood still,if anything taken a step back this year. We have been fortunate in the league to date. In the CL we have been made to pay for our deficiencies which are pretty evident in my eyes
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    What's particularly sad about this, is that by the time the return fixture against PSV rolls around, many folks on this forum and Poch himself will have convinced themselves that we're still in it, and we'll put out a strong side against PSV despite facing an away match vs Crystal Palace just days later. In the quite likely event that we win that fixture and Inter drops points to Barca, we will then say "oh! we are only (2 or 3) points shy of Inter" and play a full strength squad against them on Nov 28 right before we play Arsenal. And then if we win THAT match, we'll all have our hopes up as we run full force into playing Barcelona at the Camp Nou while Inter plays an eliminated PSV in Milan. It's really set up for us to screw up our PL season while having our hearts ripped out in predictable fashion on the last day.
  15. lillywhiteyank Well-Known Member

lillywhiteyank
    Ratings:
    +436 / 11 / -0
    This game reinforces my feeling that this is a year of transition. The board has not wanted to spend pending the results of having the new stadium. Poch has made it pretty clear he expects spending, and I think it is coming. He did not seem all that disturbed at the end of today's game. It was like "now I can demand what I know we need". Have faith, good times await. ( I hope :whistle:)
    • Like Like x 2
  16. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0
    I don't understand how 1 team can make so many individual errors. Toby made to look like a Sunday league footballer unable to kick with both feet. If he can't play on the left, start Dier as CB.

Spurs failure to put away chances has put us out of the CL. We dominated Inter and PSV; and have 1 point to show for it.

We seem to have an inability to defend as a team. Every time the opposition builds an attack the players look like they are not sure who to mark or where to stand. What was a couple of seasons ago the best defence in the league now looks a disorganised mess.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. BC87X Well-Known Member

BC87X
    Ratings:
    +1,261 / 36 / -0
    If it unfolds like you predict, which I too believe will be the case Barca will have easily locked down 1st place and will probably give a few bench players a run out in the last match make it a bit less difficult. Also by that time we should have all our players fit to really give it a go as a win would guarantee us progress to the next stage no matter the out come between PSV v. Inter.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. lillywhite Active Member

lillywhite
    Ratings:
    +81 / 4 / -0
    Poor finishing, that's why
  19. GlennintheUK Member

GlennintheUK
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I know it's pretty much heresy to criticise Poch in the eyes of some on here but I'm starting to thing a lot of this malaise is stemming from him. He has two faces during a game - slightly cross and slightly bemused. What does he do to influence the game, very little (second half against ManU notwithstanding). This season, we've had some bemusing team selections, poor tactics (has he seen the way Liverpool play?) and even worse substitutions. For the last couple of seasons at least, we've wasted chance after chance. We persist in playing out from the back no matter how tight the press and we go from the edge of the opponent's penalty area to our goalkeeper in three passes at the drop of a hat. That's after we've usually taken 27 passes to get to the opponent's penalty area in the first place. WTF? Poch dictates the tactics, no-one else. Time to step up.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    Good points.

Yesterdays post match interview he was moaning about the team playing too slowly etc. Yet Poch and the other hangers on just sat there not saying a word.

We fold under pressure and that starts at the top. No wonder all the other clubs call us ''bottlers'' because thats what we are. Still, blame the ref.
    Dave,
  21. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    The folding under pressure and not being able to kill off games has always been in the clubs DNA. It's nothing new to us
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    Folding under pressure was not in the club's 'DNA' when I started supporting Spurs and quite honestly, it's nonsense. Different managers, different owners, different players - how can they all be affected the same way? It's a matter of not buying enough players of the right quality to be able to compete at the very highest level.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    So whilst you're moaning about fans criticising the team last night, basically you're advocating we throw another competition. What sort of mentality and ambition would it be to play weakened teams versus PSV and Inter because we MIGHT get beaten by Barca?

We can still qualify. Infact we could be second place before the last game, like you said. How the hell are we supposed to grow as a club if we starting resting players because the odds aren't in our favour?

It's like you're putting all the emphasis on finishing top 4 so we qualify for the CL. Then when we lose a few games in the CL, Chuck it in so our chances of qualifying next season are improved.
    Dave,
  24. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    It's fatigue. Mental and physical. It shows up most late in a game.
  25. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I probably should know, but which games will Lloris have to sit out.
  26. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Very unfortunate last night to be honest..But is anyone really surprised that we can’t compete in CL level? even when we were flying domestically back when this team peaked, we still couldn’t compete in the higher echelons of European football, never mind right now when we are limping through games in the EPL, so nobody should be overly disappointed or shocked with this CL campaign.
    To put a positive spin on it, the last time we blew out of the CL early we finished second in the league....but if we are to repeat those heroic ‘s then it needs to start on Monday night...2-0 Spurs!!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Really , we have changed the squad numerous times in recent years and MP has instilled his own mentality and methodology into these players for the past 4 years, so HE is not blameless.
    He has not handled the Lloris situation very well as he has got issues which were shown up again last night.
  28. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -0
    Home vs PSV for sure. (cannot be appealed)

Since it was a straight red, UEFA can increase it if they felt it was for violent conduct. I don't think it was since it was simply last man take down, but its their call. If they add to the 1 game mandatory he could miss any of the following:

Home vs Inter
    Away vs Barca

Dele missed 3 due to his knee kick in the Europa game. That translated into missing the Dortmund/Madrid games the following season.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    It’s the culture of the club (inside the last 20 years)

There’s highs and lows and for some reason we struggle to kill games off. It wasn’t really the case recently ie the last two years but this season it’s been an issue

Going further back it was a huge issue under redknapp but that was most likely down to him playing the same players every week
  30. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    Which is what I’m saying...

You can change the players and manager but it’s going to be an issue

Porch has somewhat changed it recently but it seems like the squad lacks a game changer