[OMT] PSV Eindhoven H [UCL] Tue 6 Nov 8:00 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by AlabamaSpur, Nov 5, 2018.

1. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0
    Have you considered the fact that keepers are trained to stand in the exact spot where the ball is most likely to be hit based on the positioning of the attacking players?

Also, a keeper probably occupies about 25-30% of the goal within their reach, without diving. Add to that closing down the angle of the shot; the striker probably has 5-10% of the goal left to get it in.

So the chances of hitting it straight at the keeper are very high indeed!
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    Exaggerating of course, but I know I see awful lot of strikes that would be saved by a wooden cut out.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +875 / 22 / -0
    Just rewatched the highlights here: Tottenham Hotspur vs PSV Eindhoven Highlights & Full Match

Moura, Dele, Winks, Gazza all EXCELLENT. We should've won by five. None of this pity for PSV -- they didn't deserve that first draw with us and they certainly didn't deserve anything from today. Onto the next.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    We don't just need to beat Inter, we need to secure the tiebreaker against them. That means winning by either 2 goals or by a 1-0 score.
  5. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    Winks was excellent. We'd recover the ball and he'd have it forward in about five seconds. And Dele has played some of his best ball in the last couple of outings.
  6. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +302 / 62 / -0
    "...El Grupo de la Muerte..."
    COYS
  7. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,789 / 49 / -0
    Any win is good for morale, including this one, however I"m not sure this victory has done us any favours.
  8. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0
    So, are you suggested we should forfeit our chances of staying in the champions league in favour of increasing our changes of being in the champions league.

My head hurts just thinking about that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    I tend to agree. Despite his two goals, Kane is certainly not performing how he has done in seasons past. He seems to be dropping very deep, which has had a negative impact on his goal scoring and the creativity around Alli and Kane is also not like it was previously.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    There is a reason he drops deep. When he is double teamed down low he moves out or back and tries to draw defenders away or get lose. At least that is the explanation I heard. It makes sense to me. The fault is that is that others can't take advantage of the extra attention he gets.
  11. taffy55 Member

taffy55
    Ratings:
    +34 / 2 / -0
    Aurier and Davies are not up to it, neither can cross a ball. Did you see Aurier let the ball run out for a corner!!! Kane way off his usual standard, yes he is scoring but he's not 'at' it. Eriksen as usual went missing in a important game.
  12. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,313 / 78 / -0
    Not sure what to make of that tbh. We deserved to win, that's not in doubt. Great attitude towards the game. Glad Llorente made an impact. He was the only sub that did. The finishing needs to be sharper though.

The Crowd starting to get discontented with some of the decisions from Poch. Not surprised. but the use if the ball at times was abysmal. Eriksen in particular was awful. God knows how many crosses we just smashed at a defender.

We have to invest in a proper technical passer. I'm not on about 20 yard safe passers sideways. We need defence splitting ability.

Good to see Alli looking good. Winks had a decent game but he didn't come under much pressure. Keeper was solid again. Poor Aurier had a mare.
    Dave,
  13. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    Unbelievable how some people can criticize that performance. Just goes to show how spoiled our fans have become.

Even if we don't make it out of the group, I'm glad to have been able to witness that game. It was brilliant...so proud of the players.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,789 / 49 / -0
    Try this then , I cant get away from the belief that sooner or later we are going to hit the wall and fade in the second half of the season, which is purely based on tired players after their hectic schedule the past year or two, meanwhile there is a distinct possibility we will play in the EL which is going to stretch this squad to its limits with the extra games, should we progress.
    I cannot see us progressing to the latter stages of the CL as things are, and I dont see the EL being a priority for MP even though he will play as strong a team as required , because he simply has to push for a top 4 place again, as that is what Levy will demand of the team , thats how I see the season panning out.
  15. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,789 / 49 / -0
    If that game had been played at the Lane, new or old, it would have had a much greater atmosphere, and received much higher praise..
  16. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    If we've seen anything from the past two/three years its that our squad gets better as the season goes on, even with the extra game the EL brings. We've played as many in the past two/three seasons with the good runs in the CL so its no big issue.
  17. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Is it the fault of the fans tho to be so opinionated this season tho? The fans have witnessed some excellent football and league positions in the over the past few years (3rd,2nd,3rd,3rd) under the current manager, so no matter how long we have followed the club the recent history is all that counts right now, we can’t compare a 2018 Spurs side to a 1998 team or a 1968 team for that matter, nor can we compare a Sanchez to Gary Docherty etc etc....frustration from fans doesn’t mean they are spoiled or blow in new fans who don’t really understand the really bad times of yest a year...
    But your right, last night has no room for complaint, we won, we played well and we lived on the edge, the Tottenham way....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,313 / 78 / -0
    Nah nothing to do with being spoilt. We won, deservedly so but it took a double deflected header late on to win it. There was plenty of good stuff but the crossing cannot be swept under the carpet. It was fooking woeful all game bar one or 2. We havent even got a player who can take a sodding corner properly.

We also conceded from another headed goal and very nearly a second. Plenty of good but also some bad against a pretty poor side. The massive bonus was that we dug in and stayed patient,
    Dave,
  19. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,789 / 49 / -0
    Ive said it for years how in general , the quality of crossing the ball into the box has somehow deteriorated , for reasons I cannot explain exactly, and the only assumption I can attach to it, is that there are more FB"s/WB"s taking them than genuine wingers were in previous times.
    The winger usually would beat his man , look up , to pick someone out with a pinpoint cross , now its a case of failure to clear the first defender or the ball being overhit, and last night was ridiculous in the amount of wasted balls in and around the box , the frustrating thing is that when we get it right it produces , not just chances but GOALS !
  20. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    The obvious criticism should be the fact that again we conceded at the very beginning of the match. We simply cannot allow for that against Inter or Barca if we want to progress.
  21. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    That I can agree with. It was a ridiculous corner to concede, should've been a pretty easy clearance by Toby.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Yeah a poor timing from Toby and it was originally Dele marking de Jong but then he wasn't concentrating for one second and lost his marker.
  23. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    Was that an illegal pick used against Dele? Or are those actually illegal. I thought they were.
  24. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    I think that's a gray area because technically he's not setting a screen, he was just standing his ground waiting for the incoming corner. But obviously we know it wasn't just coincidence the two teammates were next to each other, that was a routine they practice. Go figure since it's a team managed by Bommel, a very intelligent player in his day.
  25. LukeDanielHotspur Well-Known Member

LukeDanielHotspur
    Ratings:
    +444 / 21 / -0
    Winks was excellent as was Gazza and Moura, my problem is our full backs at present, Davies has been off it this season and Rose is injured, Aurier had a real chance to try get a first team position nailed down with Tripps season not exactly going great (defensively) but failed in that game although he did look to try, and is it me or does Toby just not seemed bothered again?

All in all we deserved the win
  26. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +187 / 4 / -0
    There was an article saying that Lamela is the master of the dark arts. When he was "warming up" one of their players had a throw-in near our box and he needed a long throw. So Lamela stopped his warm up in the exact spot the guy needed to back up into to make the throw and then started stretching. "Sorry. Don't mind me. I'm just warming up. Nothing to see here." He was out of play and outside the pitch so technically it wasn't interference. The PSV guy had no choice but to take a short throw and we got the ball back.

Lloris is still banned for Inter, so Gazza needs to step up again. PSV is no Inter but he delivered and I'm much more confident with him than Vorm. Which is unfortunate. Vorm has been a fantastic servant to the club but all those years ridding the bench has stunted his skills and we need to use the player that gives us the best chance to win.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    It looked like an illegal pick even in basketball to me because the guy moved into Dele. I can't see what Dele could have done to stay with his man. Oh well.
  28. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    I’d say the more likely culprit in Vorm’s decline is his age. He’s 35, which isn’t ancient for a GK, but one will certainly lose athleticism by that age.
  29. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Maybe I'm being too critical, but it looks like de Jong gets ahead of Dele too easily before the pick occurs.
    • Agree Agree x 1