[OMT] Southampton H [PL] 14.15 Sun 19 March 2017

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by hrytn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. hrytn Well-Known Member

hrytn
    Ratings:
    +1,498 / 79 / -0
    Tottenham Hotspur host Southampton at White Hart Lane on Sunday 19th March 2017 (KO 2:15pm) in the 28th round of Premier League matches for the 2016-17 season. 10 matches left to the end of the season.

Spurs come into the match in 2nd place in the League on 56 points, while Southampton are in 10th place on 33 points. Spurs won the away fixture on 28 Dec 2016, 4-1 with Delle Alli scoring twice and goals from Son Heung-Min and Harry Kane who also missed a penalty on the day and the saints had a man sent off on the 57th minute while score was 2-1.

Last 6 matches:
    Spurs: DDWLWW
    Saints: LWLLWW

Expected Rose, Lamela and Kane out for this match through injuries. Also expected Lloris, Dembele and Walker back in the starting XI after being rested in the FA cup quarter final 6-0 home win against Millwall.

Predicted Line up:
    LLoris
    Dier Toby Vert
    Walker Wanyama Dembele Davies
    Eriksen Dele
    Son (or Janssen)

About Southampton: They are a good team this season, they have a good striker in Gabbiadini so we need to stop him.
    They have won 2 matches and lost 3 in their last 5 away games. Scored 9 and conceded 9 so they can score but can leak goals as well. Their main defender Virgil van Dijk was injured in January and ruled out for a long spell so expected to miss the match on Sunday.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,000 / 26 / -0
    Big, big match. Have to get all three points. No screwing about.

-----------------------Lloris--------------------------
    ---Dier---------------Toby-----------------Vert----
    Walker-----Wanyama---Dembele-----Davies
    Alli--------------------Son-----------------Eriksen

Tell the front three they are free to go where they please and let's run this team off the pitch before we bring Janssen on. COYS!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hrytn Well-Known Member

hrytn
    Ratings:
    +1,498 / 79 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,015 / 29 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. hrytn Well-Known Member

hrytn
    Ratings:
    +1,498 / 79 / -0
    Because after the game against Everton, lots of fans on here praised Lukaku and wished if we could sign him. Lukaku rejecting a contract means he is likely to be sold this summer. He is worth £50 - £70m but in football everything is possible.

PS. Most players like to live in London (where is he now?!) plus he has 2 Belgian national team mates and he is close friend with Sissoko. Salary of around £100k is payable by Spurs. Also as our manager Pochettino says we are a big club so why not.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. AussieSpur11 Member

AussieSpur11
    Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0
    Because he doesn't want to be sitting on the bench playing FA and league cup games!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. hrytn Well-Known Member

hrytn
    Ratings:
    +1,498 / 79 / -0
    Start both players.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Airfixx Well-Known Member

Airfixx
    Ratings:
    +1,768 / 30 / -0
    What in real terms does that even mean?

Yet he's widely reported to have just refused £140kpw...

If we're going 2 up top then they're too similar.... We'd need a contrast of styles.
  9. Airfixx Well-Known Member

Airfixx
    Ratings:
    +1,768 / 30 / -0
    [dupe]
  10. lillywhiteyank Active Member

lillywhiteyank
    Ratings:
    +261 / 6 / -0
    Well, I like this lineup, but I have a real question about Dier. His form has been very bad lately. Does Soton pose no threat on that side? (I don't know their players, just asking)
  11. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,000 / 26 / -0
    Wile Dier may be a bit shaky at times, who do we have that is better? As far as I'm concerned Poch needs to stick with a back 3 for the rest of the year keep the consistency week by week. No more screwing about. As far as Soton's attack, I don't think it's anything our backline can't handle. We should not be giving up many goals the rest of the season. If we can keep the ball out of our net than we will finish top 4 regardless of Kane's return.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 117 / -0
    I really don't get this Dier is shaky noncence at all, we have the best defense in the country and the lad has played almost every game, and even gets picked for the bloody league cup too. I mean what are we comparing him to? Alderwierld? Well he's world class, or Verts? Who is as good as any second CH in the league....c'mon people seriously, Dier is a fantastic player who by the way would walk straight into Liverpools, Arsenals and Man Utds back 4, and right now probably City's as well!!
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Billywhizz Well-Known Member

Billywhizz
    Ratings:
    +790 / 8 / -0
    I don't think he's had a particularly stellar season but that maybe harsh, because all I have to judge him by, is his outstanding season last year.

He's been bailed out a few times this season by the speed of Walker and the positioning of Toby as well as the outstanding shielding of Victor. It's nitpicking at best but for me, my biggest gripe has been his passing this season. He was a joy to watch last season spraying the ball to inch perfection but his radar has been a little off this season, again it's nothing more than nitpicking.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Airfixx Well-Known Member

Airfixx
    Ratings:
    +1,768 / 30 / -0
    Think he'll improve as RCB just he did at DM & RB and think the criticism he's received has been overplayed.

Personally, still buying the notion of him being the next Scott P and being a fantastic captain for club and/or country.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Del Boy N17 Active Member

Del Boy N17
    Ratings:
    +526 / 13 / -0
    Lloris
    Dier Toby Vertonghen
    Walker Wanyama Dembele Davies
    Eriksen Dele Son

With the front 3 interchanging & Alli & Son being the more central forwards I'm hopeful we will still have enough, a comfortable victory will do everyone the world of good & lift the Kane injury cloud, a loss or draw & I can see everyone writing us off & this place going into meltdown ....... me included ;)
  16. Airfixx Well-Known Member

Airfixx
    Ratings:
    +1,768 / 30 / -0
    Not gonna say "must win" but a win would be psychologically massive before the int. break and also show the boys that they needn't panic without HK.

Biggest quandary for me is Jansen (and who should sit) or no Jansen... His wasn't some in-off-the-arse-effort; it was a quality finish which should rightfully feed his confidence. Thinking back to Soldado's mirroring scenario also... When these guys FINALLY get the monkey off their back they need the chance to seize that psychological momentum. Then again, to start him and sub him off after 60m could shatter him also.... Then there's Son's 'un-timely' hatrick. LOL

I guess the pragmatist in me opts for:

- - - - - - - - - - - Lloris - - - - - - - -- - - - -
    - - - - - - - - Dier / Toby / Vert - - - - - - - -
    Walker / Wanyama / Dembele / Davies
    - - - - - - - - - - - Eriksen - - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - - - - Son / Dele - - - - - - - - - -

Essentially; still 3-4-3, but sit Eriksen in slightly deeper to pull the strings and let the other two feed off of him and the WBs. Praying we can talk a healthy hold on the game and bring VJ in for a good 20m and keep him in the mix.

COYS!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  17. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / 36 / -0
    Lloris
    Dier Toby Vertonghen
    Walker Wanyama Davies
    Eriksen Winks Son
    Dele
  18. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,015 / 29 / -0
    So you did not answer my question, did you?

WHAT HAS THIS ANYTHING TO DO WITH SOUTHAMPTON GAME? This is transfer news and should be in subsequent thread as it has absolutely nothing to do with Tottenham nor with Soton nor with the game between those 2 sides. Please and thank you.
  19. SpursDK Active Member

SpursDK
    Ratings:
    +165 / 6 / -0
    Spurs v Saints build up | SaintsWeb

Saints fans seem generally optimistic that they can nick at least a point at the Lane, and they're over the moon with Harry's absence (justifiably I reckon). I don't know why, but I really think we're going to take a hard fought but ultimately secure 2-0 win here. For the longest time I've been dreading these upper-mid-table encounters, but this year I'm feeling an optimism I didn't even feel last year.. not that we're gonna overtake Chelski, but still, this season feels good!

COYS! 2-0 winners, Dele and Eriksen with the goals!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,756 / 32 / -0
    This is by far our most important of the "Harry-less" games.

Anything but a win and our fans and players will be thinking we can't get it done without him. The players need to prove to themselves that we can still perform, especially since we're at home.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. moe888 Well-Known Member

moe888
    Ratings:
    +4,088 / 52 / -0
    To me its his defending thats very erratic. In many games, there is at least 1 or 2 moments where his mistakes could have gifted a goal to the other side. The other players around him thankfully cover it up very well.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Billywhizz Well-Known Member

Billywhizz
    Ratings:
    +790 / 8 / -0
    Yup, he does look a little clumsy at times.
  23. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +424 / 5 / -0
    One thing I have noticed from Dier is that he is uncomfortable handling the slow moving aerial balls, especially when being harassed by the opposition's forward. That being said, I still like Dier in a back three and feel he contributes from that position.
  24. Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Zarathustra
    Ratings:
    +4,674 / 61 / -0
    Dier is decent in a back-three, but not good enough if you really want to compete with the big boys over the course of a season. I hope we stick to this 3-4-2-1 and sign a defender of the calibre of Virgil van Dijk in the summer (who's got pace, is strong and solid defensively, great in the air and a good passer of the ball as well).
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +857 / 19 / -0
    Totally agree - our defence is already mean, but a player of van Dijk's calibre would take us up a notch. If Toby doesn't sign a new contract we will also need a replacement. I like Dier - his attitude is excellent and he always gives of his best, but he makes some costly mistakes in a back 3. I feel he and the team would be better if he were competing with Wanyama and co for a position in front of the back 3, where he looks more comfortable.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. hrytn Well-Known Member

hrytn
    Ratings:
    +1,498 / 79 / -0
  27. hrytn Well-Known Member

hrytn
    Ratings:
    +1,498 / 79 / -0
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  28. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +857 / 19 / -0
  29. Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Zarathustra
    Ratings:
    +4,674 / 61 / -0
    There is actually zero doubt in my mind that Toby will sign a new contract, which unfortunately doesn't guarantee anything, but I wouldn't worry about it as a Spurs fan.
  30. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,000 / 26 / -0