[OMT] Spurs Host Man Citeh at Wembley [PL] Mon 29 Oct 22:00 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by pistols_at_dawn, Oct 26, 2018.

1. K-Frost Active Member

K-Frost
    Ratings:
    +377 / 14 / -0
    Good try, better than getting battered. Truthfully though, we don't have enough quality going forward to challenge these top european sides. Laporte, Stones and Fernandinho basically just dealt with everything we had going forward.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dartspur Member

Dartspur
    Ratings:
    +27 / 2 / -0
    Another mistake punished yet again.
    Our finishing is pathetic, we simply do not convert chances. We did enough for a draw, however how can we be optimistic after another inept display!

Yes disappointed, this club needs a lift to get us fans upbeat. Apologies for the rant but I feel let down again.
    Time for bed
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    A moral victory. We should have won it. I hope Pochettino feels better in some way. (probably not) but we could have been beaten 6 nil. First time this season that City have looked mortal.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +875 / 22 / -0
    We need a PESSIMISTIC rating!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +875 / 22 / -0
    Meanwhile, Citeh had De Bruyne, Kompany, Jesus, and Sane on the bench. Wow, football needs a spending limit.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    People should be disappointed in the result for sure, but surprised? No way, we aren’t playing well for a start and it was going to take a fairytale performance to beat them, and as nice as that would have been, we would no doubt follow that up with an ass whipping against Palace, at least now we have to challenge the players to respond against Palace and as a result we might nick it...The big question is how do we even approach the West Ham game in a few days time?
  7. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    This isn't really true though, is it? We fluffed 2 very easy chances (Kane 1 on 1 vs the goalie and Lamela unmarked from 10 yards out) and had other good opportunities that went to waste (4 on 2 that Sissoko led comes to mind). Their defense wasn't able to contain us. We just missed some chances that we would normally convert.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    Thought we did well tonight but they never got out of first gear. It looked like they were pissing about tbh. We were definatly better when Winks come on.

Sissoko and Sanchez had very good games but the lack of technical ability in the middle is our downfall. We need someone who can pass properly. They had the two Silva's tonight. One of them would be a god send to us.

Really dissapointed with our front three. Did Kane touch the ball in their box? Lamela and Moura probably wont start v Wolves. Theyve not done anywhere near enough. Kane shouldnt either but he wont get dropped.

Our quarterbacks were shit as well.:whistle:
    Dave,
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0
    Really should have made them pay today, missed opportunity. If we could get our best 11 on the pitch I feel we would be better than that city side, in some ways I though we were better today anyway.
  10. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    I thought it was a decent performance, considering we played arguably the best side in Premier League history. We certainly competed well, and had it finished 1-1 you wouldn't say it it flattered us.

We definitely need a boost soon though, or else our season will fizzle away. We don't look like title contenders, and CL seems to be done.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. K-Frost Active Member

K-Frost
    Ratings:
    +377 / 14 / -0
    It is true. I'm mainly referring to the final point where we have to put the ball in the back of the net. The build up is good, but the quality of finishing is definitely lacking. 3 or 4 good chances today, 0 goals. Most of our wins this season have been by single goal margins despite averaging maybe 15-20 shots? Our goal difference is the weakest out of the top 5.
  12. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,314 / 31 / -0
    I didn't watch any post game stuff, were any of the players asked how the state of the pitch effected the game. Watching on TV it seemed as if the bounce of the ball kept catching the players out and the ball was bobbling when it was passed across the service. Two of the top sides in the Prem looked a lot like Championship teams at times. So many easy turnovers of possession etc. The pitch must have been the cause. I can see why Poch is frustrated. We are meant to be playing in our new stadium, but instead we are playing on a pitch that hosted an NFL game a couple of days ago. Though ironically I think it actually helped us today.
  13. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    Quality, just comes down to quality. They have more of it, than we do.

We did better than I expected tbh. And more quality from Lamela, maybe we take a point.

But again we gift a goal. We gift another goal, in another big game, and pay for it again. Ultimately, until we improve the team/squad, we're moving backwards of these teams.

Must mention Sissoko though, best Spurs player tonight I thought, and deserves a bit of credit...........COYS
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    We didn’t piss about. We were very direct and it worked. We had several good chances and just fluffed them.

Lamela and Kane both missed easy goals but besides that they were both really good. Kane’s hold up play was great and Lamela was the engine of our attack (along with Sissoko shockingly) and was critical in getting back and helping defensively.

We were definitely better when Winks came on for Dier, and Moura was not good enough. You’re right about that. Moura was a bad matchup vs Walker, who is his equal in speed and much stronger.
  15. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    Man City were pissing about. Not us.

Our attack was poor. Lamela was no engine lol. He huffed and puffed and when it mattered, fluffed. Mahrez, a similar type player, buries it and wins them the game. Thats the difference between a match winner and a good player. Kanes hold up play was ok but for what? Where was Moura and Lamela? Not that i'd blame them really. They're not strikers.

Leave the hard work to Sissoko, Dembele, Dier and Winks. The others need to get in the box and be a threat they're in the team for. We need to get Kane further forward like last season. We're just not enough of a threat with Kane deep, relying on Moura and Lamela to go beyond.

Our front three had something like 4 touches in Man City's box the entire game. How the hell is that good?

The game was there to be won but we fell short again. We play within ourselves too often. It says it all when Sissoko was our best player going forward. He was very good. Just lacks quality when it matters.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Dave,
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +301 / 62 / -0
    ...an abject lesson from City in how to win the ball and control the midfield by moving one's feet, without resorting to cheap tackles...
    ...good to see Alli back out there...
    COYS
  17. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    Wembley must be sick, they require a brand new pitch after those cowboys with helmets lol

No wonder we have two .
  18. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    On the American broadcast through NBC they mentioned how they asked Dele at half time what he thought of the field. He mentioned that the main problem with the field wasn't the lines and patches of dirt, but rather how compact the surface was. Almost looked like we were at Wimbledon rather than Wembley the way the ball was bouncing.
  19. GlennintheUK Member

GlennintheUK
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    an abject lesson from City in how to win the ball and control the midfield by moving one's feet, without resorting to cheap tackles.

Umm, did you not notice City players having no problem with cynically bringing us down when we threatened to break on them. Fernandinho is a master of the dark arts.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  20. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    We also lack quality in Trippier and Davies. Both of them are decent enough PL players, but not if we have aspirations to compete at the highest level.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Up from Dover Active Member

Up from Dover
    Ratings:
    +192 / 6 / -0
    Cowboys weren't there it was Jaguars v Eagles. ;)
  22. Up from Dover Active Member

Up from Dover
    Ratings:
    +192 / 6 / -0
    Thought we did ok last night and deserved a draw. Sissoko had a very good game so did Sanchez, two players who have been under the spotlight recently.
    Winks made a big difference when he came on.

Hadn't realised how much narrower a Nfl pitch is compared to a football pitch! The bare patches on the flanks and the lines across the field made it look terrible and as for the surface- awful! Heaven knows what it looked like on TV!
    Relieved we have a 2nd pitch pitch for the Nfl games.

There was a flat feeling about the night. I was surrounded by lots of tourists who seemed to be enjoying the game judging from the number of photos they all took but contributed nothing to the atmosphere.
    A lot of familiar faces were missing. I know it was a Monday night but the weather wasn't that bad and it was Man City we were playing not some League two club!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. BC87X Well-Known Member

BC87X
    Ratings:
    +1,261 / 36 / -0
    Not really pissed at the result, but we certainly should have gotten something from the game make. Committing errors this consistently is just insane it reminds me of the one season with Kaboul and Dawson under AVB with out them we would be in a much better position not only in the CL, but the EPL as well.

City surrendered the game to us in the 70th minute with the Aguero sub, however we just couldn't take advantage of it. Had we scored we would have won that game. Having Kane and Lamela miss those sitters is criminal, we really couldn't have asked for better clear cut chances than the ones we got vs. City.

One thing I do have an issue with is the refereeing once again allowing the opposition to hack us down cynically with out any punishment especially Fernandinho, who is their main culprit and today's MotM. Had he been booked on the Lamela foul, which is a 100% yellow as he stopped a counter his aggression and dominant presence in the midfield would have been non existent, allowing us to dominate much more in the middle of the pitch. The amount of fouls and 50/50's he went in was crazy all due to not being booked and not being at risk of a sending off.

Winks really does look like the solution to our midfield he just needs to get some form where as Tripps and Davies simply aren't good enough to be our full backs really can't wait for Aurier to take over that RB spot.

In these sort of game it comes down to very small margins and in this game we just weren't ready for it nor lucky enough to get a result.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +301 / 62 / -0
    ...but those "cynical" challenges weren't being called, were they? So not "cynical" in the eyes of the ref, apparently...
    ...if you move your feet, you're more likely to avoid having a foul called (i.e. "the dark arts")...
    ...Dembele and Lamela are too obvious and argy-bargy about it...
    COYS
  25. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    The whole things feels post Bale at the minute...with him playing the way he was the team always had a chance to get something from any game and the confidence that brought made average players better...Kane took over that batton, but he has seriously hit a dip (expected) and there isn’t the same intensity throughout the team, so little mistakes creep in and we don’t have the weapons to turn games around without an inform Kane.....
    The problems:
    To much weight put on Kane.
    Lack of proper quality signings.
    Team has got stale and comfortable.
    Pochettino has all but thrown in the towel, just not official yet.
    Levy is a complete dickhead.
  26. lillywhite Active Member

lillywhite
    Ratings:
    +81 / 4 / -0
    Not clinical enough, shocking miss from Erik and Kane was no better. Trips had a very poor game, just not good enough but Winks superb. The result was fair and even though they have the class they unusually missed some very good chances too. I thought 3-0 to them before the game and the piss poor start enforced that belief but we did fight and even though the difference in quality stood out we did push them at times although they never really looked that threatened, how many saves did they make to ours. A couple or three additional quality players is what we need to keep up with the top sides and Poch knows he's not going to get them from Levy. He knows he's gone as far as he can with what we've got and may just be tempted to move on with Real if they come knocking. Not a good season I think and the gunners will retake their spot above us once again.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  27. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    I don't blame Erik for that miss. When you have to guess at the height of the ball it's going to happen. It was a great effort on our part and just as good as when we beat them. We could have had a 5 to 1 victory out of that. But, yes, this looks like a cross roads doesn't it. It's hard to see us getting any higher. It has the look of a rocket at it's height, trying harder but not going up any more.
  28. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +372 / 8 / -0
    Agreed, I think Moura should have swapped flanks and ran at Mendy ( who is fooking awful...so awful , he makes Sissoko look like Maradona)
    • Like Like x 1
  29. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +875 / 22 / -0
    I could actually see the opposite. I think we went toe-to-toe with them - with a few of our main players not available to start - should have come away with a draw, and could have nicked a winner with a little luck. We showed heart, determination, and grit after a lousy start, and were the better team in the second half.

I expect - or at least, I HOPE - this leads to a purple patch of good form. We'll find out tomorrow, won't we? COYS
  30. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    Well I agree we could have beaten them. And it was a bit of bad luck more than anything that we didn't. But what I am saying is, where is the room for real improvement in this squad?