[OMT] Spurs v Watford (H) - MK Dons Stadium - Carabao Cup - 20:00pm BST - 26/9/2018

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by MichiganStateSpur18, Sep 25, 2018.

1. MichiganStateSpur18 Active Member

MichiganStateSpur18
    Ratings:
    +179 / 4 / -0
    Gazza hero!!! Two PK's from the local boy! Bring on the next round!!
  2. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    Gazzaniga showing them how it’s done!
  3. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Gazza the hero!
  4. LukeDanielHotspur Well-Known Member

LukeDanielHotspur
    Ratings:
    +444 / 21 / -0
    Such a poor excuse of a team tonight, first half we couldn't get a single attempt on target, pathetic showing for their first goal, bad defending and I personally think Gazza should of saved, near post and all but he redeemed himself, our second was a great goal all round really but then such poor defending leading to their second, we need to stop conceding late goals, not sure what Poch was thinking with the starting line up, wasn't sure of the formation but a wins a win and onto the next round.

Anyone see Hazards goals against Pool? Amazing!
  5. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    Go buy a Chelsea shirt and F*ck off if you’ve got such a hard on for Hazard.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    Hahaha! What a reaction.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. MichiganStateSpur18 Active Member

MichiganStateSpur18
    Ratings:
    +179 / 4 / -0
    What team would you have played?!
  8. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    It was a good side to select. We're through and thats what mattered. Some players got a rest which was massive. However, theres too many players not staking a claim to start more matches. Its another rubbish game.

No idea why Llorente isnt starting though. May as well get rid. We might well need him but hows he going to be ready if Poch wont pick him? Pretty poor show imo.

Hopefully we get a good away draw so none of this begging to play at other grounds.

Great pens btw. Also, Aurier is looking a better player.
    Dave,
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    Well happy to go through, amazed we got though - very UNspursy winning the shootout. Unfortunately, Watford leveler very Spursy (Ben Davies never turn your back), Capoues shot was going about 5yds wide.
    Terrible first half, better second, Son made a difference I thought, and Lamelas goal is what we are capable of, and was a classy goal. I did think though, not playing Llorente from the start was a mistake. If he doesn't get a start in the early rounds of the League Cup, then when? I don't think it can help his motivation, and we desperately needed a CF especially in the first half.

But great to be in next round, and can't get too down about the performance - we won a f##king shootout! England now Spurs in the space of 3 months - shocking!.......COYS!
  10. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    Man how good has Lamela been lately?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Didn’t get to see the game, it was underwhelming by all accounts? But good to get through all the same...
  12. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    The first half was definitely underwhelming, but the second half was quite thrilling towards the end when all hell broke loose.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Up from Dover Active Member

Up from Dover
    Ratings:
    +192 / 6 / -0
    He continually goes up in my estimation.
    I remember when he first arrived he seemed a bit of a Fancy Dan type who loved to dribble and shoot but would only pass when it suited him and never tracked back or got stuck in.
    Thanks I believe to Poch's coaching that's all changed to the extent he's put in some very aggressive challenges over the past few of seasons!
    Still a bit too reliant on his left foot for my liking though!
  14. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    Played a bunch of our important players (bad), and then had the misfortune of winning (worse) so we have to keep competing in this crap competition.

*Dons fire retardant suit*

Flame on!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    Its a case of when it works he looks good , I dont think coaching has had any influence.
  16. Del Boy N17 Active Member

Del Boy N17
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -0
    His reverse pass to Alli which won us the penalty was top class, considering he was facing the other way & running at pace, brilliant vision, personally still think his energy & dynamic approach is better coming off the bench, that said he’s in good form so long may it continue
  17. Dginzu_Yank Active Member

Dginzu_Yank
    Ratings:
    +102 / 1 / -0
    A few thoughts..

Aurier - thought it was one of his better games and had some good quality crosses into the box. Shame he went off injured
    Wanyama - not sure on his overall game but was watching his passing very closely (as that is where Dier has been terrible lately). Thought his passing was very crisp and fairly aggressive
    Lamela - love him.. enough said
    Son - can really change a change when he comes on
    Davies - really regressing
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +187 / 4 / -0
    Gazza did what you expect a 'keeper to do: catch the bloody ball when it's shot at him. Watford got several shots in but it always seemed directly at him. Perhaps that was luck or perhaps he just anticipated. But he did what he was supposed to. He didn't punch it or try to do something clever (Read: stupid). He just caught it. Got beat on the first goal but nothing he could do on the second. It was going wide and ricocheted off Davies into the far post. I'm not against Ka-Pow scoring but how was that not an own goal? Plus, 2 penalty saves that he made look easy. This kid has potential.

Aurier had a decent game, which for him is excellent. Refused to take Success down in the box, which led to him scoring. In the past, he would have hacked him down and conceded the penalty. Not sure how I feel about him staying on his feet in hindsight. Limped off at the end of the game, reducing us to 10 men. Poch said after the game it was his quad. If damaged he could be laid off for a bit. Which I'm strangely ok with since it means KWP will get game time.

Watford was disciplined and pressed hard most of the game. Once again we had difficulty playing out of the back. One good light was Toby, who was excellent in picking out the wingers with long balls.

Wanyama wasn't as impressive as usual, but he's been laid off a long time, so its mostly about getting the rust out. Same with Winks, who had a better game than last week. Unless I'm mistaken he got shifted to RB after Aurier left.

Lamela is a new man this year. I feel confident with him starting, knowing Son or Lucas will replace him, or playing super sub to run at tired legs. We finally have some quality depth at that position.

I knew Lucas was good (and fast) but I didn't realize how good of a dribbler he was. At one point i think it was Dele threaded a laser pass to him on the edge and I thought "Nice pass but that's stupid. He's triple covered. Where the hell is he going to go?" Well, Lucas turned around and dribbled right through the three of them before working back into the middle of the pitch. Was he always that good or is Watford just that bad?

Dele got a surprise Christmas Present. Captain in a game at his old stomping ground in his home town. Poch really indulged him. Fortunately he had a good game and got to score the winning penalty. I read afterwards that some claim he dove for the penalty. When I saw it on my phone it looked like his ankle got caught, which makes it a penalty. He probably oversold it after the contact, which is why people whined. Sour grapes. Considering he's fought to stay on his feet all season when he used to go down I'm not going to complain.

Son changed the dynamic of the game when he came on, but one could argue that so would Lamela if Son had started and Lamela came on later.

I assume Dembele came on because we were chasing a goal and needed more control in the midfield. Not particularly happy he played in that he needs a rest.

As some have already said, if Llorente can't get a start here, when is he ever going to play? Did Poch decide speed trumped strength in this game? If so then I can understand. It was purely tactical, right or wrong. Otherwise he simply doesn't trust Llorente and we should have sold him over the summer and put one of the kids in.

Key players rested: Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Dier (if you still consider him key). Rose, Trippier rotated out.

I can't help but notice that we are playing a lot of players that are either out of contract next year (Dembele), have yet to pen a new one and must be sold if they won't (Toby) or are considered misfits (Rose). I wonder if Poch is trying to convince them all to re-sign by giving them a run out. I swear, sometimes I think Poch is playing football manager. It would explain why he never loans out potential first teamers. Due to game mechanics they train faster if they get tutored and get 0 playing time than if they play 50 games on loan to a team with inferior training/coaching. Its counterintuitive but there it is. Then if you complete a promise to a player (let them play games) they become happier and are willing to discuss a contract again. Of course if he was, he'd understand you have to buy the player before they are 19 so they can become home grown, like what Arsenal did with Bellerin. Otherwise we end up with too many foreign players, which is our current dilemma. Ironically I would have been perfectly fine if the only business we did this summer had been signing a couple kids.
  19. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    Lamela's the bionic man on his new legs. Seems very much more straight ahead now. Of course it's changed his mentality too. And he still has those super dark eyes that make him look like a psycho. He must be terrifying on the pitch.

I don't know much about Brazilian football, but I do know that Lucas and Neymar were considered to be the No 1 and No 2 risings stars a few years ago. And guess who was No 1?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +187 / 4 / -0
    So there is this article suggesting we might have been better off losing this game due to congestion next month.

Oct 29 - Wembley - Man City - Moved to Monday due to NFL game Sunday. Therefore cannot move again and 2 days in a row on the pitch means no using it for a few days.

Oct 31/Nov 1 - League Cup games

Nov 3 - Away - Wolves - Moved to Saturday TV coverage due to CL game on Tuesday, therefore unmoveable? I'm confused about how fixture moving rules work.

Nov 6 - Wembley - PSV - CL so good luck moving that one.

If these dates hold we'll be forced to play 2 games in 3 days, and 4 in 9. We'd have to field our rookies for the League game regardless of opponents. Although drawing ManC in the league game could prove interesting since they'd be in the same boat. It'd be a battle of starting XI followed by U-23's.
  21. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    There can never be a game where losing is the best option. I'd be embarrassed if a club like Tottenham ever took that attitude. Even if losing won Arsenal the league, its still not an option.

I think the fixtures are very kind, apart from Man City. We have three or 4 players at the moment who can fill in quite easily due to some of the first XI not performing.

Id say our best eleven is probably ;- Lloris, Rose, Trippier, Toby, Vert,Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Kane. Its probably fair to say that Rose, Trippier, Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Kane and Moura could easily be left out based on their performances in the past 4 games.

The amount of games isnt the issue, its the level of performance at the moment.

Judging by the reaction of the crowd and the players when the goals went in, they wanted to beat Watford badly. A great mentality to have.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Dave,
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +875 / 22 / -0
    Man, I really wish we could convert Lamela into a CDM. Having him on the pitch in place of Dier would solve all sorts of problems.
  24. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    Of course we were better off losing this game. It's the League Cup. Who cares??? I realize some people do, but honestly there's not a lot of prestige in it. It's not going to be what makes this team a success. And all winning that game did is get us into the final 16--we are still unlikely to actually hoist the trophy.

And now we have fixture gridlock around games that really DO matter. I can only hope Poch comes to his senses and trots out a C team in the next match.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. AJ201 Well-Known Member

AJ201
    Ratings:
    +917 / 25 / -0
    Apart from the fact that he looks about 10st wet through?

Heurelho Gomes?
  26. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +187 / 4 / -0

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
    ?
  27. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    will gladly eat crow after conceding that we would lose after we gave up the opening goal.

happy to be through to the next round
  28. Up from Dover Active Member

Up from Dover
    Ratings:
    +192 / 6 / -0
    Maybe not coaching but I reckon Poch has had a chat with him. He gets involved a lot more now compared to when he first started at Spurs.
  29. LukeDanielHotspur Well-Known Member

LukeDanielHotspur
    Ratings:
    +444 / 21 / -0
    Youth team, at least would of looked like trying, fact is out team isn't good enough, we have a brilliant first team but nothing behind that