[OMT] Watford A [PL] Sun 2nd Sept 2018 4:00 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by AlabamaSpur, Aug 31, 2018.

1. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +432 / 17 / -0
    I hate the international break. No chance to rally and bounce back. The disappointment as a fan just lingers. Meh
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +372 / 8 / -0
    I cant believe that Dier was dropped to the bench in a game where he is suited, Watford are bullies and its Diers sort of match
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Love losing to these inbreds hamburger eating cunts. Now to listen to Mayor Deeney scramble together an incoherent sentence about heart and passion fruit.
  4. NYYiddo1019 Well-Known Member

NYYiddo1019
    Ratings:
    +1,611 / 43 / -0
    How the f**k do we lose to these worthless mugs who’ll probably finish 10th? Bad result overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. kayat Well-Known Member

kayat
    Ratings:
    +481 / 12 / -0
    Not sure there's any coach teaching them how to defend free kick?
    Dembele can't solely play on the defensive midfield area,
    His abilities regressed a lot after the world cup, Dier/ WYM should play with him.
  6. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Forget who we did or did not sign in the summer. It also doesn’t matter if Davies or Rose started. It doesn’t even really matter if Dier played or not, nor does it Lloris or Vorm...Bottom line is that team should have been more than capable of winning that game, Watford are pure crap, and they showed that for 65mins....
    The reason we lost that game (and deservedly so) is mentality...How the fcuk do you go to Old Trafford and blow Utd away 3-0 and follow it up with that shit there? And that’s what it was, shit!!.....the energy level was walking pace, the attitude when fluffing a chance was “never mind I’ll get another one soon” a good team, and by that I don’t mean we’r a bad team, but a good team who win thropies, blows that lackluster Watford team away early and then eases off, or at the very least stays strong, we folded like a deck of cards.
    It’s not as if Watford were pumped up for the game and came flying out of the traps and we had to ride it out and get a grip on the game before taking over, no, they were abysmal, the stadium was like a library, and we just took it for granted our goal would come and job done.....Complete mental weakness shown yet again when it matters, and even tho Watford deserved the win, they didn’t even have to do that much to earn it.
    I’d rather lose 5-0 to a good side than lose to a Watford because we have some kind of mental problem when approaching these type of games!
    Nuff said, but watch the intensity we now show against Liverpool, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we beat them....which in a way makes these kind of results even worse!!
  7. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +301 / 62 / -0
    ...it's tough when our "game-changing" subs include Llorente and Winks...
    COYS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    What a difference a week makes. Bad performance, bad result. Slow, sluggish, and a little devoid of ideas. Our goal pretty much summed up our performance.

Didn't like Dier on the bench for this game, or the Rose substitution in the 88th min (at the very least do it at the same time as the Llorente change). Not sure changing the defense every week helps either, especially as Sanchez had a shocker in this game last season.
    And Mace, had the f**kers got the stadium built on time, we wouldn't have been playing this f##king game at Vicarage Road in the first place (so f##ked off at the moment though, I'm looking to blame any body).
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BC87X Well-Known Member

BC87X
    Ratings:
    +1,261 / 36 / -0
    Something just feels weird with Poch even though his press conference have been normal and he hasn't really spoke about any dissatisfaction his pitch side demeanor just doesn't like look like how it was in pass seasons. It seems as if though he has retrieved himself more and isn't showing the same energy that we have become accustomed from him.

The performance clearly wasn't there from the players and you could see it in Poch as well. We certainly didn't deserve the win, but we should have been able to get something out of it. We just got to make sure we show up vs. Liverpool after the international break we are still quite a bit ahead of last seasons start.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. K-Frost Active Member

K-Frost
    Ratings:
    +377 / 14 / -0
    Watford are crap yet have won every game this season... OK. Maybe it's more we are not as good as you thought.

Problem we had is a similar mentality to that though. You approach the game not willing to fight against the opposition or write them off before the match has begun, take ages to get going, get lucky with the lead and still let it slip away... To me that's classic Spurs if I ever saw it.

The biggest worry for me today were our options on the bench. With Son and Lamela out we had 0 attacking alternatives that we desperately needed. Hopefully things will look better squad-wise after the international break. Absolutely deserved nothing out of that game.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Looking at the first 4 games is something that probably shouldn’t be done, or as people say don’t look at the table until 10 games, and that’s pretty much true enough...But what I can tell (only my opinion of course) after 4 games, is we are still the same Spurs I have known pretty much all my life. We frustrate, then we see signs of hope, and then we start to think about what if, and then of course reality hits, and it fcuking hits hard.....
    On our day, like last Monday night for example we were astonishing, but the hard truth is, we can’t produce 38, or at least the 30 “on our days” that it takes to achieve glory.....it might sound like an overreaction after one defeat so early in the season, but we are all big enough and wise enough to know where we are after that showing today...we just don’t have the right ingredients it takes..
  12. Hiccup99 Active Member

Hiccup99
    Ratings:
    +87 / 3 / -0
    Also Davies inability to kick the ball with both feet seriously limits our attacking options and makes us weaker in defence, I appreciate his work ethic but In my opinion we really need a left back that is not so transparent. Having said that he was not the worst player today and Eriksen & Kane need to review today's game and see why they were so ineffective. Eriksen couldn't make a key pass today and even simple passes he failed to do on numerous occasions. Don't get me wrong I think the world of these players but something went wrong today whether it be overconfidence, difficulty adjusting to a new formation or just one of those days. I don't know, but we need to learn from it though to reduce the chances of it reoccurring.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    I'm sure you noticed the shot of him sitting with his eyes shut. He looked like he had a migraine or something.

The worry for me above all is Kane. He gets chances and he can't get off a shot. Normally he gets a look and before you know it it's in the back of the net. But now for no apparent reason, nothing happens. And what happened there towards the end when he had the ball on the left with an open look and he tried to pass to Moura? I just don't get. I'd say that he can't strike with his left foot anymore but I saw him do it last week, so I don't know. I want the selfish Kane back.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    We've played a back three twice this season, and looked poor on both occasions. We were struggling against Fulham, until we changed to a back four, and it turned the game around. Obviously we've used it before to great effect, so I dunno, we did have Walker and Rose (before injury) that season.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    The whole lot were garbage. Including the manager.

I was surprised we messed about with the formation and player selections. The United game was a perfect platform to continue. Watford did nothing either until we scored. It was just a very poor game all round.
    Dave,
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +301 / 62 / -0
    ...thought 3 at the back was unnecessary - Dier should've started - the midfield was wide open for them and Eriksen had too much defensive responsibility...
    COYS
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    I'm guessing the lack of Dier was due to us having an extra central defender, so not feeling we needed so much defensive cover in midfield.

They were playing two strikers, so I suspect that was the thinking behind a back three. I don't think the extra defender was needed, but a couple of seasons back we looked impressive playing that formation. I guess Walker and Rose really were the best wing-backs in the league back then, because that the only thing that's really changed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    We were due to be brought back down to earth at some point in the next couple of games, glad its this one as opposed to after the break.

Last week was a game where if most of had to be realistic that a win wasnt likely so this game and last basically flip flop for me.

Dier was missed, as was Lloris as the spine through the team is very key for our performance and when we miss more than 1 of those players (Lloris, Dier, Eriksen, Kane) we struggle
  19. Thyophelis Active Member

Thyophelis
    Ratings:
    +326 / 37 / -0
    I must have seen a different game. I tought we played some really dominating football. Watford could not get to grips with how we played and 2 of our 3 centre backs were basicly playing as midfielders. But the first touch in the final third was often not very good, specialy Moura. Dele had a really good match I tought and Ericksen was running the show. Ben Davies is an issue, just very limited. reminds me of Kyle Naughton and just should not be our first choice left back. It would be very easy to upgrade on him.
    But we do really need to work on set pieces... it just can t be that they score 2 out of 2.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Shouldn’t really matter what personal was out there today, we should have destroyed them, they are one of the worst teams we have played in a long time....they looked like they set up to limit the damage and move on to the next game, their fans looked/sounded like they where there to enjoy a Sunday out with the family to watch an exhibition game....until we become ruthless against these teams we are never going to make that final step....bottlers is a tag we have inherited from pundits, the media, opposition fans etc etc, and we hate it, I hate it, but it’s given to us for a reason!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    what?

they havent lost a game yet....i know its early days but they've looked a better team than they have in years past

teams will look to set up to limit the damage against us as were a top side....

We play against a team in good form, and we didnt turn up, thats why we lost.
  22. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    They are poor, gonna say they won’t be in the top half of the table come May....however they have won their first 3 games, 4 now, which actually betters any start to a season we have had in the premier league era. But we also won our opening 3 games, and when it comes down to it we should be beating Watford regardless of their form...we need to seriously man the fcuk up if we are ever going to challenge for titles which Pochettino said he wants to do.
  23. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    That Man U result gave us the wrong impression, the performance yesterday shows that, we just went through the motions and when we went one nil up, we thought it was enough as we were in control, the two set pieces were poor, to me it was typical MP, looks brilliant one game and lost in another.
  24. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0
    Its a sad state of affairs when we have 3 center backs on the field and conceded from 2 set pieces.

Spurs have to learn to disrupt the game when the other team has their tails up. It was clear Watford was going to score the equiliser for at least 8 minutes. Spurs players were tripping over their own feet and looked to have completely lost their shape. It's moments like this when you need to fake an injury or play keep ball for a bit to disrupt the momentum.

Dissapointing game for Kane. Looks really off the pace and his movement was poor. On another day he would have scored the 3 chances he had.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    Too much tippy tappy sodding about in the first half, Trippier to Toby to Jan to Sanchez to Triipier to Sanchez and so on - what a yawn, I almost fell asleep. We need to get the ball forward quickly and by that I don't mean constantly trying to hit long balls to Moura. Spurs created virtually nothing and Watford kindly gave us a goal, but still our team didn't press forward with any intent and then we just folded. Watford deserved to win and we got what we deserved. The team needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    Davies as the LWB with a back three is just not on. He is completely lost in the role.
  27. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    It doesn't matter what you think of the opposition, this is the Premier League. If you turn up and just go through the motions, bad things will happen. We're a good team, but in no way good enough to just rock up and expect a result. If you don't compete, you'll lose - lets just hope it don't happen again this season.
    Christ I hate the Int. break after a loss.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  28. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Pochettinos statements today back up most of the above criticism directed at the result/performance...never heard him criticizing the players so publicly before.
    He truly believes his squad are good enough to challenge/win the title and paid them the biggest compliment he could this summer by not replacing a single one of them (that’s the official public version of course) but a performance like that yesterday only proves we are not even close to making that step and we know we are staring at 5 Pochettino seasons without a trophy, so how much longer can he keep convincing the fans, the players and even himself that our “project” is working?
    We know we will never spend the right money it takes to buy top class players, we all need to get over that and stop thinking we will, so the only alternative is to keep doing what we are doing, and have been doing for as long as ENIC has been here. Granted, Pochettino has been the best manager we have had at working within those strict guidelines...
    So my question really is, at what point does the penny drop with Pochettino that this is the hardest, most demanding league in the world, and no matter how much blood, sweat and tears he puts into it personally, that alone will never be enough?
  29. Hiccup99 Active Member

Hiccup99
    Ratings:
    +87 / 3 / -0
    I respectfully disagree with Eriksen, I thought he had one of his worst games I've seen him play, he couldn't buy a pass, with him and Dembele giving the ball away in midfield on numerous occasions it was like I'd entered the twilight zone. While I agree a couple of Moura's first touches were not good, IMO however he was the best player on the pitch and was the only one looking like he would create something. I agree Dele worked hard and made some great runs which were either not seen by Eriksen, Dembele or other players, or they just didn't have the skill to make the pass, a very unusual game indeed. Totally agree with Davies comment, great attitude and work ethic if only he could mix it up a bit by using his other foot, as you say very limited, and translucent. Left back was not a position I was too worried about at the end of last year, but with Danny looking like he wants to push through a move I don't see Davies as a suitable replacement for the wing back role if that's what we are looking to play now.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  30. Dginzu_Yank Active Member

Dginzu_Yank
    Ratings:
    +102 / 1 / -0
    In this case, I am glad for it. Lamela should be back, Sonny will have another week of rest, and Lloris should be back (not that him missing the game made the difference. However, having Lamela and Son to come off the bench last game would of made a HUGE difference)
    • Agree Agree x 2