[OMT] West F*cking Spam A [EFL Cup] Wed 31 Oct 2018 19:45 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by FLYank, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    Yeah the last five winners were Man City, United and Chelsea. Which proves nobody is bothered.

We should just keep getting top 4, not winning owt, getting the money, then not spending or committing to some trophies, just so we can have a better chance of getting top four again. How exciting. Our top players must love not winning anything.

I guess some people just don't understand and never will o_O
    Dave,
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +187 / 4 / -0
    Winks is trying to replace Dembele as our technical midfielder. Sissoko on the other hand is vying for replacing Dembele as the beast on the pitch and I have to say he plays much better when he's pushing people around and refusing to be tackled.
  3. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +187 / 4 / -0
    Sunday's game was the last of the year for NFL in London. Of course we drew Arsenal away in the quarters so it's irrelevant. Semis are in January so I expect we'll be in our new stadium by then. God, I hope we will.
  4. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    I will not be in the least surprised if the stadium is not ready until next season. It's a complete clusterfcuk.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +432 / 17 / -0
    Does it carry as much prestige as the League or CL? Of course not. Nor the FA Cup. But it is still a major trophy.

3 wins is all it takes. I agree you play your youth players early on and see how you go. But once you are in the position we find ourselves in, with a NLD in prospect after which, if we win, we would be in the semis, why wouldn't we go for it with our first XI?

Success breeds success. Just look at the United years under Fergie and that belief that coursed through the players. Our players reach semi finals most years and fold when the going gets tough. We haven't got that mentality to get over the final hurdle, and yet, surely luck will mean we get through one of those close games eventually...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    The fact is , the domestic competitions have been in existence in this country since the year 1871 for the FA Cup and 1960 for the League Cup, they are part and parcel of the very fabric of the game of FOOTBALL in these islands , as each of the four countries has its own cup competitions
    The whole history and tradition of these cups is based upon giving every eligible club, whether they be amateur or professional , the opportunity to compete against each other , that means small town clubs from up and down the land that exist on very limited resources, being paired against the big city clubs , with the chance to win in true David and Goliath fashion .
    All very romantic sounding, but until you experience a giant killing that has affected you, personally, or not so, and the positive affect it has on whole communities, then @Dave is right, some people dont understand and never will.
    However, its the reason these competitions are so popular with football fans here since they were introduced all those years ago, so the very idea that a few newbie fans cannot find the respect that 150 years of our culture deserves , and have the temerity to want to change what is part of our history can fook right off !

Thank you very much .
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    I agree about the history of the F.A. Cup. Especially from a personal perspective, because my first season supporting Spurs, we won it by beating Forest in 1991.

The League Cup, doesn't really have the historical significance, but for anyone to say that they don't care about seeing our players lifting it, seems utterly ridiculous to me.

It's not even about understanding the history and dynamic of cup competitions, it's about winning things. In what utterly THE REV RIPSHER!! bonkers world, does anyone involved in sport not care about that?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    So then does the international champions cup we won this Summer matter if we’re just interested in winning things? Nobody seemed excited about that.

The reality is that the quality of the competition matters and the League Cup isn’t a worthwhile competition. The PL teams don’t take it very seriously and play their second stringers for the first couple of rounds. It doesn’t pay any meaningful money. It provides no real glory to the players. Nobody is going to stay at Spurs or come to Spurs because we won a league cup. Teams price the matches low to encourage anybody to show up and watch. Calling it a major trophy is laughable. The FA Cup—a crap competition in its own right—at least has a long and storied history. The League Cup doesn’t even have that really.

Someday, I hope, the LC will fade into oblivion.
  9. Mandy Well-Known Member

Mandy
    Ratings:
    +311 / 0 / -0
    Who are you to judge glory in English football, where does your experience of that come from?
    And why support an English football team if you think 150 years of English footballing tradition is crap?
    You're just trolling for a giggle surely?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +432 / 17 / -0
    PL teams take it seriously from the quarters onwards, and so should we.
    It doesn't pay much? Nor does the FA Cup really, but who cares.
    No real glory? It's a domestic trophy. You can't even begin to compare it with the international champions cup. One is pre-season, one is the actual season. Sports is there for the buzz of winning. And I for one would go nuts if we won it. Would i rather we won the League? Of course! But let's be realistic...
    And personally i think that if we win the league cup it could quite easily lead to some senior players delaying a decision to leave in the summer and give it one more season to build on that success. We have talented players who can win things elsewhere if we don't give them that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. GlennintheUK Member

GlennintheUK
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I was at Wembley when Spurs beat Chelsea to win their last trophy - the humble league cup. I was lucky enough to get up close and personal - at that time, I was the medical pitch team supervisor - and you can't tell me that the reaction of the players and fans didn't justify going all out to win it. At this stage, I'll take any competition win!
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    Try telling guys like Ledley and Robbie Keane that winning that trophy didn’t matter (this is not directed towards you)

The reaction from Keane when he lifted it with Ledley looked like he was going to cry because he was so happy
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    If the LC does fade into oblivion, our only hope of silverware fades into oblivion along with it:eek:
    Seriously tho, the LC may not be top of many players wish lists at the start of a season, but as the season unfolds you need to cut your cloth to suit, and right about now we don’t have enough cloth left to make a swim suit for a supermodel...so why not challenge the players & manager to mentally navigate us through the remaining 4 games of this thing?
    I mean what else is there to worry about? League? No. Champions league? No. FA cup? Maybe, but who knows who we draw in that, any decent side away in the 3rd round and it’s goodnight for another year..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    fixed that for you.
    a man can still dream right - just not about winning the LC apparently.
    lol
  15. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    I’ll also add that of this current squad many players apart from Toby, Jan, and Hugo none of them have won any major silverware. I reckon it would mean a lot to them to win a domestic trophy no matter which one it is
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    The International Champions Cup is a pre-season friendly tournament, and not even slightly comparable, and I'm pretty sure you know that.

Provides no real glory to the players? I have no idea how you could actually know that. Manchester City won it last year, the same year that they walked the Premier League, and they looked ecstatic when they lifted the trophy.
  17. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +436 / 10 / -0
    Normally back you to the hilt with your posts, but, on your own with this one, still a piece of recognised silverware to be won!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rev John Ripsher Super Moderators

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +5,687 / 28 / -0
    Just 3 games to win a cup? What's not to like?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0
    I think the semi is still 2 legs.
    • Informative Informative x 1