[OMT] West F*cking Spam A [PL] Sat 20 Oct 2018 3:00 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by AlabamaSpur, Oct 15, 2018.

1. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +376 / 8 / -0
    Son for Moura , fast fresh legs
  2. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +376 / 8 / -0
    Weird choice of sub IMO
  3. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / 60 / -0
    Kane....
  4. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +876 / 22 / -0
    Sissoko, best game in a Spurs shirt
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +302 / 62 / -0
    ...we needed Lloris to be sharp today...
    COYS
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +376 / 8 / -0
    phew
  7. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +876 / 22 / -0
    Hugo MOTM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / 60 / -0
    Hugo MOTM for me
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    We keep churning these results out.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +376 / 8 / -0
    shades it over Lamela for me
  11. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    That was a tough 2nd half to watch, not many chances I can recall but plenty of nervy moments.
  12. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    There is definitely some voodoo at work this season, because it sure ain’t performances....
    Now can Huddersfield cause a little upset???
  13. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Its got me beat.
  14. NYYiddo1019 Well-Known Member

NYYiddo1019
    Ratings:
    +1,612 / 43 / -0
    We won that's all that matters.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +476 / 4 / -0
    Great 3pts, difficult game. W'e're managing to win some of these games somehow, and still with key players out. But we wont somehow wangle a good result against City a week Monday, if we can't up our game. Still getting bogged down in the middle of the pitch, and still inviting too much pressure.

Lloris, Lamela, Moura, Sissoko, all good today......COYS!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    Shelvey played 19 long balls today and 12 were accurate. Dier and Winks played 2 between them. I really think we need a conductor on the middle of the park, who will spread the play. So many of our players have a habit of picking up the ball and running with it. We've got decent pace with Lucas and Son. I want to see some Huddlestone and Carrick style passing from the middle. Spreading the play quickly, so we are a threat at all time.

Mahrez played 8 long balls for City. That means the ball is going from one flank to the other in an instant. The only people who play long balls for us are defenders. Our midfield and attackers are all dribbles or short passes. We need to mix it up a bit, with some cross field and quarter back style passing in my opinion.
  17. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Right about now you put Kevin de Bruyne in our team we win the league, you put Luka Modric in our team and we win the league....So find us the equivalent of one of them two who’s valued at 15m but their club would take 14m, and we are good to go!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    I'm still recovering from Sissoko's performance. Actually looked like a...well, not a £30m player...but like, an actual footballer nevertheless.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    You have been banging on about Shelvey for so long now that I actually believe you are right haha. He does seem underrated and let us be honest for a second, his price makes him more of a valid contender than anybody else I can think of.
  20. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Looks like Newcastle will go down again, so we can still get Shelvey if we want.
  21. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    To be honest I'm more into Hojbjerg these days.
  22. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Gutsy performance. Some people on this forum thought we should be stomping West Ham, which was hard to fathom given the recent form of both teams and how up they and their supporters get for this match. I am sure West Ham think they deserve a point, and truth be told they aren't completely wrong, but we sorta deserved all 3 as well. A fair result in the end.

Toby was massive, especially in the first half. Sanchez played well too. Lloris was great. Lamela played really well, and Winks was good. As mentioned above, this was the best performance in a Spurs' shirt for Sissoko....which is to say he was fairly unremarkable but was generally involved, made no major mistakes and had one fantastic play that led to the goal. Dembele put in a crucial performance as a sub.

Moura just isn't big or strong enough to be successful in this kind of physical game. Kane was completely MIA, and it's a miracle we won with him completely marked out of the game like that.

We still aren't handling corners very well....it helped that the Hammers shanked a few of them early.

Atkinson is a top notch referee, but I thought he let the play get a little too physical in this one. That's West Ham's game, and I'm proud that our boys were up for it and were just as physical as West Ham was.

It was definitely a white knuckler at the end when West Ham had all the possession, but our defense held it together as they did all game.

I'm definitely looking forward to Eriksen getting back into the starting lineup. We miss him badly.
    • Like Like x 3
  23. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Agree that it was a better performance than it looks on paper. West Ham played well.

Not sure what to make of Moura. I think everyone needs to get their timing down when he makes those runs with the ball. THere's a magic moment when he needs to pass it and it's being missed. I'm not sure it's entirely his fault.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. BC87X Well-Known Member

BC87X
    Ratings:
    +1,261 / 36 / -0
    Some really good performances from our players. As many have mentioned Sissoko, Lamela, and Lloris all had great games.

In regards to Lucas I actually think in a fully fit squad he can be our Salah. Every game he has 2 or 3 great passages of play that either should have ended up as assists, goals, or hockey assists that is on top of some of his insane runs that wreck havoc in the middle of the pitch. He just hasn't been able to find his position on play it consistently. First he was a striker then a right winger followed by left winger and yesterday as a left winger slash #10 behind Kane and Lamela. He has been our jack of all trades and in my opinion has done a great job. I honestly think he and Toby this season have been our stand out players and we would have been much worse off with out him.
  25. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -0
    West Ham is a London club and they seem to believe this is a derby game. Grinding out a 1-0 away win is a decent result. (I'd feel safer with 3-0 but it is what it is) Remember, we lost in Wast Ham last year so we're already ahead of the game.

Lloris was immense, and avoided his 1 brain fart per game. MOTM
    Toby and Sanchez did what they do best. Not score because they are defenders, and not allow anyone to score on us for the same reason.
    Trippier and Davies put in a shift. Not particularly brilliant. Considering how much the game went through the middle I'm surprised they didn't spend more time going down the wings.
    Winks keeps improving with each game. He's one of the smallest guys out there but you wouldn't notice. He's also been taking lessons from Dembele/Lamela with the "do the Flamenco around the ball" trick.
    Dier didn't suck this time
    Sissoko had (gasp) one of his best games ever. What I find funny is the news sites had stories about him where he varied from Worst. Player. Ever. to Best. Game.Ever. Obviously some people didn't actually watch the game and just posted based on prior experience.
    Lamela is a beast. I read that he claims he cannot train at 100% due to persistent issues with his hips. That means he has to be treated like Dembele and used more strategically rather than 90' every game. Well, whatever they decided in training works. As long as he keeps banging in 1 goal per game he can play 10 minutes for all I care. It's working.
    Lucas confuses me. West Ham had 10 players in the middle for the entire game and where does he go? Through the middle every time. In his defense, he had some really good runs (including that one time he dribbled past like 6 players), but the outcome was never in doubt. Were we told to play through the middle? Were the wings too covered to go wide? This aspect of the game frustrated me all match. The announcers even mentioned early how West Ham were playing super narrow and leaving their wingers stranded yet we kept going through the middle even though we were outnumbered. Dembele for Lamela only served to plug up the middle but again we ceded the attack by doing so. Fortunately we were able to hold on (unlike @ Inter).
    Kane was neutralized, which is never a good thing but we got the win anyway.

Good to see Dembele and Eriksen on the pitch. We need them vs PSV. We are all out of dropable points and have to basically win out now.

The game is over and we got the 3 points we needed against a London rival. To be fair, West Ham deserved a point. Life isn't fair though. Our defense stepped up more than their attackers, so we deserved the 3 points more than they deserved the 1.
  26. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    So does everyone, apart from possibly you!
  27. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Lamela's hip issues are over as far as I know after multiple surgeries.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    There was an article quoting Lamela saying that he can't go 100%. A bit cryptic because of his English but it certainly sounded like he was not 100% sound. He did also say that his hips feel good so who knows really.
  29. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
  30. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    He can go 100% sometimes, but not all the time. Or not as much of the time as he would like, or maybe as much as other players. Sounds like we'll see him start occasionally, come in as a sub sometimes, and sometimes not at all. Whatever he can offer I'm grateful for
    • Agree Agree x 1