Player Contracts

Discussion in 'Player Chat' started by River, May 11, 2007.

1. River Founder Founder

River
    Ratings:
    +4,576 / 10 / -0
    Just read that Dawson has just signed a new contract until 2012 and Berbatov is now in talks over his future too this can only be a GREAT thing , the club showing commitment to the players and showing the fans we are not selling.

Lets just hope the players show the same kind of commitment

2. MadSue New Member

MadSue
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad that Dawson is staying for a while :45:

I like the fact that Berbie TURNED down a pay increase because he wants to stay at the club.
  3. spurslady New Member

spurslady
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am really happy about it too think Dawson has been a rock this season . Berba saying he is going nowhere and wanting to help get us up with the top 4 teams is brilliant :1:
  4. taylor New Member

taylor
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I just can't get my head around the ridiculous bad business clubs operate whilst writing contracts. It's obvious the only thing that has stopped Ramos getting the boot is the vast compensation Levy is dreading parting with, only then to pay another manager an extortionate amount.

So my question is this; Why is there not a clause written in the contract that dictates if a win ratio drops below a certain unacceptable point for an unacceptable amount of time. (EG: Ramos league record at Spurs) then the manager can be released with a dramatically reduced compensation package.

These are supposed to be world class businessmen and yet the foresight is so so limited.

It baffles me.
  5. thfcshady27 shady!

thfcshady27
    Ratings:
    +4,041 / 0 / -0
    unfortunately levy was so convinced ramos was the man to take us into the cahmpions league he would have given him anything he wanted! i would imagine ramos gave his demands and levy bent over and let him take watever he wanted!
  6. taylor New Member

taylor
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Yes mate, you're right. Commoli obviously convinced Levy and he took his word and ran with it. £100.000 a week? Haha, you got to laugh. The Win ratio clause should definitely be a mainstay in any contract however.
  7. ParkLaneMal Well-Known Member

ParkLaneMal
    Ratings:
    +2,017 / 7 / -0

And me... If your a Manager in business and you don't achieve your targets your sacked with no compensation.
    Ramos is well past his final warning.
  8. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    We should review all the players contracts and put a similar performance related clause in them too.
  9. ParkLaneMal Well-Known Member

ParkLaneMal
    Ratings:
    +2,017 / 7 / -0
    Ramos and Gus and Commoli sacked
  10. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,886 / 28 / -0
    I cant take credit for this, but for those of you who are interested in our players contracts or any other squads' this is a fantastic spreadsheet showing you what you need to know.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...c3NzhfQVVoZGc&hl=en_GB&authkey=CNnN2a4C#gid=2

He doesn't include our 2 year options- e.g. Modric signed a 5+2 year contract to 2016 and Bale and vdV are on 4+2s which take them to 2016 as well. Similarly Gallas is on a 1+1 etc.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Luke0405 New Member

Luke0405
    Ratings:
    +543 / 0 / -0
    Good bit of reading.
  12. Scarlotti Well-Known Member

Scarlotti
    Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for posting this - great for those of us with a "Statto" mentality!! :eek:16:

Is it something that gets updated frequently or just at the start of a season etc.?

Good to see most of our squad are signed up for at least reasonable periods! (Although what does a contract count for these days????)
  13. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,886 / 28 / -0
    I think the guy has made it at the start of this season, I dont know if he'll keep it updated.
  14. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +6,166 / 16 / -0
    I was just about to say what about Modric......then i read the rest of your post! lol

Great read mate.....
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Scarlotti Well-Known Member

Scarlotti
    Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    Cheers spursman!

Very interesting information to have!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rev John Ripsher Super Moderators

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +5,670 / 28 / -0
    What do the small yellow triangles mean ? when you put the curser on them it comes up "desouzaj"
  17. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,886 / 28 / -0
    No idea Rev
  18. woody Well-Known Member

woody
    Ratings:
    +590 / 0 / -0
    good to see how long our players are tied down for
  19. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +1,018 / 7 / -0
    is Harry Kane on there? or am I just blind and couldn't see him???
  20. Harry Hotspur Banned !

Harry Hotspur
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    that is who adds the comment to the actual xls document. i.e. the Author. Must say on reading that xls i did wonder exactly how much spare time some people have!
  21. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,886 / 28 / -0
    No he's probably done this for players who have either been in the team or played for us since preaseason.
  22. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,886 / 28 / -0
    Bumping this as I've seen a few of us asking about contracts of our players......

[MENTION=6472]boo wills[/MENTION]
  23. boo Well-Known Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +7,475 / 47 / -0
    great link! cheers for that [MENTION=5155]spursman18[/MENTION]
    boo,
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Craiglistee New Member

Craiglistee
    Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    Now that I scared off most of the people on this forum who wouldn't open my post in lieu of a boring rant about contracts, I am writing in appeal of those who are actually in the business of managing or involved in player's employment contracts.

I am most interested in the Carlos Tevez case where he is refusing to do anything that his employers have asked him to do. What is governing legal rights that Man City is allowed to pursue? A few components come into play I would think:

1) Carlos Tevez's employment contract
    2) Carlos Tevez's visa for right to work in the U.K.
    3) Carlos Tevez's rights to his commercial image and intellectual property or trademarks

For 1)
    I think most employment contracts indicate the employer's rights to terminate the employee by serving a notice. The employee on the other hand has to similarly serve a notice in writing if he tenders his resignation. For sports, where the player is a commodity, it should be more complicated in that, does he have the right to quit? If so, what compensation does he have to submit to the employer? I suspect there is such a clause or recognized in law because Ronaldo (the brasilian one) bought out his inter milan contract to join Real or was it his Barcelona contract to join Inter. So his new club gives him 30 million for example and he pays to the club, effectively buying out his contract and being free to leave the club. Given that Tevez has not gone down this route leads me to think that the buy out amount is too large and no players in the market are willing to do so.

For 2)
    I do not think Man City would want to cancel his visa as that would legitimize his refusal to go to training etc. For now, given that he has refused to return to the UK and play a certain number of games, I am not sure if that is in violation of any UK visa laws.

For 3)
    I think in Beckham's case where the player's rights are worth a lot of money, he negotiated his own DB7 company to own his own brand, thus all commercial rights goes to his company (managed by his wife I think?). In this case, if there isn't such a deal, does a player's commercial rights belong to himself or the company (Man city)? If it belongs to Man City, then the club could potentially do something damaging to the player such as cutting off all commercial monies entering Tevez's bank account? I am not certain of this.

Anyways I am in no way qualified to answer any of these questions, I have only seen financial institutions, corporates and real estate/construction contracts. Sporting contracts appear quite different and if someone can get a sample copy to post onto this forum I would really appreciate it.
  25. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,568 / 46 / -0
  26. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,731 / 14 / -1
    Fixed the bad England for you ;)
  27. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,731 / 14 / -1
    Isn't Gallas out of contract now and Gomes has an extra year?
  28. Lilywhite74 Well-Known Member

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +5,249 / 12 / -0
    Shit, we need to hurry and get Jenas's contract sorted before next summer...
    • Like Like x 1
  29. crackerman New Member

crackerman
    Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Bloody hell David Bently has another 2 years left. No one will buy him so he will be sat there picking up a wage for two more years, probably playing 1-2 games a season (if that).
  30. juergensdive Well-Known Member

juergensdive
    Ratings:
    +228 / 0 / -0
    I think Levy should step up his efforts to re-sign Bennie & Azza.....both on dangerously short contracts!
    • Like Like x 1