Portuguese premier league

Discussion in 'Away team dugout' started by Rui Cardoso, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Rui Cardoso Active Member

Rui Cardoso
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Place team G V D L Golas Points
    1 F.C. Porto 16 10 4 2 29 - 12 34
    2 Benfica 16 9 6 1 26 - 12 33
    3 Sporting 16 9 4 3 19 - 8 31
    4 Leixões 16 7 7 2 17 - 12 28
    5 Marítimo 16 7 5 4 18 - 14 26
    6 Sp. Braga 16 7 5 4 16 - 8 26
    7 Nacional 16 7 5 4 23 - 19 26
    8 V. Guimarães 16 5 6 5 17 - 17 21
    9 E. Amadora 16 5 5 6 14 - 20 20
    10 Naval 16 5 4 7 14 - 16 19
    11 Académica 16 4 6 6 12 - 16 18
    12 P. Ferreira 16 4 3 9 20 - 28 15
    13 Belenenses 16 3 5 8 13 - 25 14
    14 Trofense 16 3 4 9 13 - 21 13
    15 º V. Setúbal 16 3 3 10 9 - 22 12
    16 º Rio Ave 16 2 4 10 10 - 20 10

Next Week Matches

Leixões | Trofense
    E. Amadora | V.Setúbal
    V.Guimarães | Marítimo
    Rio Ave | Académica
    Naval | Nacional
    Sporting | Braga
    Porto
    | Benfica
    P. Ferreira | Belenenses

Top Scorers

Nenê

Nacional

William Arthur

Paços Ferreira

Wesley

Leixões

Meyong

Sp. Braga

Liedson

Sporting

Hulk

FC Porto

Cristian Rodríguez

FC Porto

Oscar Cardozo

Benfica

Lucho González

FC Porto

Djalma

Marítimo
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. Seajay Well-Known Member

Seajay
    Ratings:
    +1,028 / 0 / -0
    Am I missing something or is there a point to this post???????????????
    :504::504::504::504:
  3. belondon Well-Known Member

belondon
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    i think the point is... looking at their top 3 teams, and looking at the EPL... there just as f&cking predictable as each other,
  4. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,471 / 38 / -1
    Mickey mouse league.

Any decent players come to the EPL.
  5. TottenhamOverArseholes Active Member

TottenhamOverArseholes
    Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Well Porto were CL Champs in 2004 and Benfica have won it in the past and the top 3 teams in Liga Portuguesa are legit teams in the CL. Don't write the league off so quickly. It produced C Ronaldo, Deco, Javier Saviola, Ricardo Carvalho, and Luis Figo. Don't write the league off so quickly. Players to watch and possibly be sold to larger leaugues are Hulk Joao Moutinho, Luisao, Bruno Alves, Lucho Gonzales, and of course Lisandro Lopes moved to Lyon but he was one. As for the post it is pretty irrelevant.
  6. AustrianYiddo New Member

AustrianYiddo
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't like those greasy Portugese cunts in general (especially Figo, Ronaldo, ...). They are snobbish arrogant wankers who think they invented the game. Call me short minded but I rather watch Yeovil play than any Portugese team.
  7. CorLuka Modric New Member

CorLuka Modric
    Ratings:
    +351 / 0 / -0
    I think he's trying to tell us... don't bother watching the portuguese league!
    Man does that look shite
  8. TottenhamOverArseholes Active Member

TottenhamOverArseholes
    Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I also don't like portugues players due to the theatrical side to their game but the league is not that bad.
  9. portuguese New Member

portuguese
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Football in Portugal is very important. It always was. In the 40's and 50's, Sporting had the lead and was the best club in Portugal. The "5 violinos" were some of the best players in Europe at that time. They are financed by the Lisbon's Aristrocracy, while poor Benfica was struggling to steal the force of Sporting over portuguese football. But then, in the 60's, Benfica became the major sports force of Portugal and one of the best teams in the World. Costa Pereira, José Águas, José Augusto, José Torres, Simões, Mário Coluna and Eusebio made history in the club, by winning 2 Champions of European Football. During the 60's we were on 5 finals (against Barça and Real, which we won, Inter, AC Milan and Manchester United that we lost) and won several Portugal Cups and League Tittles. In the 70's portuguese football were still dominated by Benfica but Sporting gained force and break a part of the dominance... Things changed because Portugal became a democratical country and the players from colonies would play no longer for the Portugal National Team. But there were also, a lot of important names such as Humberto Coelho, Toni, Nene, Chalana, Alvaro Magalhaes, Alberto...

On the 80's Benfica were (again) the best club in the country, the most sucessfull.... We were in 87 Champions Final against PSV which he lost on penalties... Our great Captain Antonio Veloso failled to score the penalty and we lost. This decade were better in terms of Europe for Benfica but worse in national terms, comparing to the 70's... Antonio Veloso, Bento, Sheu, Rui Aguas(son of the Great José Aguas), Magnusson, Mozer were the best names of this decade... Sven Goran Eriksen was a very sucessfull coach were. He leaded the 82-84 generation(one of the best of our history).

The 90's was a turn in portuguese football. Porto start to gain the dominance. Pinto da Costa, their chairman, an almost 80 years old man(who is now dating a 25 years girl) is one of the most corrupt man in Portugal. He protected Yuran(a Porto Player) from going jail, when he had kill a man. He bought refs to help them win leagues and cups... hookers were hired by Pinto da Costa to paid to the refs... Jacinto Paixão said he was intimidated by dirigents of Porto if he doesnt help them on the pitch. Carolina Salgado, Pinto da Costa ex-wife, wrote a book "Eu, Carolina", where she confess all of her ex-husband crimes. Obviouslly, Benfica and Sporting were not competent to stop this, and they both start to fall..
    And more, it was a jornal, controlled by Porto, that set their fundation date to 1890, to be considerated the older portuguese club...

For example, portuguese football is still not "clear". the guy who used to pay the hookers for they services with referees, Fernando Gomes, is now the major candidate for the Portuguese Federation of Football, and he will probably win.. In the last decade Porto continued to win, however, with a lower difference... While Benfica(2) and Sporting(2) won together 4 league tittles, Porto won 6. Lets see from now on...

League tittles:
    Benfica - 32
    Porto - 25
    Sporting - 18
    Belensenses - 1
    Boavista - 1

European Tittles:
    Benfica 2 (1961 and 1962)
    Porto 2 (1986 and 2004)

In recent years, after the Bosman law, things changed a lot. Some mid table clubs declined, Estrela, Marítimo, Varzim... There are a lot of brasilians playing here. Fact which I'm against. But the football itself is improving. Actually, Portugal have one of the best leagues in Europe... It's very technicist and fast. Not as fast as English, and not as technicist as Spanish, let's be honest.

English
    Spanish
    Germany
    Italien
    French
    Portugal
    Russien
    Ukraine. I think this is the current FIFA's top... And i agree with it.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  10. portuguese New Member

portuguese
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    This weekend we have a Sporting-Porto which can be very usefull to see who is going to win. If Sporting wins, they are coming back in the race for the tittle, if they don´t, Porto will continue to share the lead with Benfica.

I want my local rivals to win lol
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,557 / 16 / -0
    Lets go Sporting!

[​IMG]
  12. portuguese New Member

portuguese
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Onyewu scored the equializer yesterday for them lool. He is probably going to the bench because they signed a new centre back from Sao Paulo, Xandão. :) "Captain America" is not impressing here!
  13. portuguese New Member

portuguese
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Sporting 0 - 0 Porto FT'

The winner with this result is Benfica. :)
  14. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,557 / 16 / -0
    Captain America did his part.

[​IMG]
  15. Van Dijck Active Member

Van Dijck
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Is Onyewu having a good spell at Lisabon? He was really one of the best defenders in the belgian league a few years ago.

Hope he's all right even if I still support an other team.
  16. portuguese New Member

portuguese
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Meaning super heroes.

Scum Record at it's best. Let's see at 3 AM what the covers of today's newpappers say about the game...
  17. portuguese New Member

portuguese
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    One of the bests today but he is not doing that well. Carriço and Rodriguez are injured.
  18. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,557 / 16 / -0
    I don't follow Portuguese football at all but I do follow the USMNT and it's players. I've gotten opinion from a wide range of Portuguese fans, you're one of the only ones who's been negative on his performances. I don't think he's been brilliant but he sounds like a useful squad player. That's what I've been reading anyways, I haven't watched the Portuguese league since we were linked to Hulk and Falcao.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  19. portuguese New Member

portuguese
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Onyewu is a decent centre back. Strong, good in the air, knows where to be, but he can't play with the ball in his foot, which is not good to organize the game. But he is not, by far, one of the best's in the league lol He is only playing because of the injuries from Carriço and Rodriguez. But, IDK, if Sporting Coach is happy with his performances... Maybe when they get back he will continue in the XI...

Luisao>Rolando>Garay>Otamendi>Maicon(even this season he is playing in the right back)>Polga/Onyewu
  20. portuguese New Member

portuguese
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
  21. portuguese New Member

portuguese
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Finally I could overcome the humiliating way of how Benfica lost this league...

Let's see now what the summer brings.
  22. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +666 / 2 / -0
    Right now I have a 10 W streak going on the ESPN streak for cash. Anyone familiar with the Portuguese La Liga enough to give me some help? I've looked up the form of both and it seems like it will be a draw but might as well see if anyone knows more than I about either clubs.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +666 / 2 / -0
    [MENTION=10607]gazza10[/MENTION] want to help out?
  24. gazza10 New Member

gazza10
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Haha i'm not following the portugese league. My mother is portugese but ive lived my whole life in Germany :p
  25. tikitaka Luke New Member

tikitaka Luke
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Classic match between Benfica and Sporting for the Cup. Jardim is making a wonderful job with a limited squad and virtually no budget. Another great header by Slimani and that makes to great goals in 2 matches, coming from the bench, he's someone to watch.

Cruel to lose in ET after recovering from a 3-1 score, but the team is growing and hopefully Portugal can have 3 big teams again soon.

Do yourself a favor and watch the highlights:

ÐлькаÑар - Ñмотреть онлайн видео лучших Ñпортивных моментов (highlights)
  26. DragonSpur Active Member

DragonSpur
    Ratings:
    +243 / 0 / -0
    Considering our difficulties in assimilating 7 new players last season, I though this would make for a talking point.
    FC Porto have just signed 12 new players this summer (all under 25yrs of age), with several players leaving. In essence they've just rebuilt their whole first XI, including goalkeeper. The players have come from various different leagues, with 6 coming from Spain (from 5 different clubs), 3 from Portugal (all different clubs) and the others joining from Italy, Belgium, Holland. To top this off, they also have a new manager, and his only experience was managing the Spain U21 squad... Also, the latest news also states that they're getting a 13th player from Colombia.

Will they struggle with gelling, like Spurs did last year? Or do they have a miracle formula to get them playing together?
  27. davemustaine Member

davemustaine
    Ratings:
    +25 / 2 / -0
    The manager has experience managing U21, U20 and U19 Spain squads. In this 12 new players, 3 are just loaned (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, 1 each).

The manager looks promising. He's great even at flash interviews but coaching a team from a different league/football can be difficult. But, at least in friendlies, the team is looking good. As a FC Porto fan, I obviously hope this team can bring the titles the last year we failed to achieve.
  28. LakewoodSpur Well-Known Member

LakewoodSpur
    Ratings:
    +581 / 2 / -0
    Out here in Seattle, we are very interested in following the exploits of our hero -- Fredy Montero of Sporting. He scored a boatload of goals for us -- some very memorable ones -- and even married a local Seattle girl. We're excited to see Sporting in Champions League and hope he has a great campaign.
  29. davemustaine Member

davemustaine
    Ratings:
    +25 / 2 / -0
    Last season, Montero started as a great finisher but, after Christmas break, he did not score any goal (almost sure) until the end of the season. And Sporting have Slimani too who is pretty good striker and took Montero's place in a lot of games.

As a portuguese, I hope Sporting has a good campaign in CL too but they normally can't get the results necessary to. Hoping it will be different this time.
  30. DragonSpur Active Member

DragonSpur
    Ratings:
    +243 / 0 / -0
    Just got back from my holiday in Portugal... and was fortunate enough to get tickets (and took my son) to the season opener Porto - Maritimo.
    Porto seem to have some really promising players, Oliver Torres (on loan) and Brahimi look really classy, but the most impressive is Ruben Neves... for a 17yr old he has an amazing vision, reads the game well, great passing and shooting. Definitely a star in the making!

Overall I was pleased with the way the team is playing (considering it's early on in the season), however, the one area I would like to see them improve is in passing the ball behind the defense, and speeding up the passing and build up. The few times in the games (Maritimo and Lille) they tried the throughball behind the defense, they created great chances and looked extremely dangerous. Ricardo Quaresma was a little disappointing, and his movement on the field resulted in limited space available for Danilo, ending in the ball being passed back or lost.
    Over the next couple months, I expect the ball to be circulated with more speed, and the players to understand each other, with more effective movement off the ball.

Looks like it will be an interesting league this season.