Premier League 18/19

Discussion in 'Players Lounge' started by AlabamaSpur, Sep 29, 2018.

1. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    We are in the mix with Arsenal and Chelsea.
  2. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    In the mix maybe, I can’t see any of the three teams going on such bad runs that they put themselves out of contention, so it will probably come down to a handful of key games between now and the end of the season, and because of that I’d have to favor those two.....I mean when is the last time we truly won a shit or bust game, a game where something was truly achieved as a result? Man City away to qualify for the CL under Harry Redknapp is when, 8 years ago....before that was Chelsea in the League cup final almost 11 years ago....yes we have pulled off some great results over the past few years, Chelsea away for the first time in the PL, Old Trafford for the first time since 1990, and throw in some great results against Liverpool, Arsenal and City in there too, but when it comes down to it, when it really really counts, like cup semi finals, make or break games in Europe, Leicester city at home in a title race, West Ham on the final game of the season to clinch top 4 etc etc, we can’t handle it...So at some point from now towards the end, we will most likely will face one or two of these games, and history doesn’t favor our outcome.
  3. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    You’re aware we finished top 4 for 3 seasons in a row right? In how many of those seasons were we nailed on for top 4 by early December?

I don’t know if we’ll get top 4 or not, but your post is silly.
  4. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    My post is an opinion based on what I see and what I can relate too from past experiences. The teams around us are much improved than teams from the last 3 years, which suggests when it comes down to results against them, which will ultimately decide the top 4, right now we don’t look like we can win enough of those games....We can probably rule United out, so of the top 4 rivals we have faced so far this season Chelsea (at home) is a great result, but Liverpool, City & Arsenal absolutely schooled us for 90mins, and that’s worrying!
  5. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    Must agree. We have played most of our games this season away from home, we have suffered higher levels of injuries than our rivals, the team was not strengthened during the last transfer window, our new stadium not being ready has been unsettling and we have not been playing at our best. We can add to this the low levels of expenditure on team strengthening over the past few seasons. Despite this we are currently level on points with Arsenal and just one point behind Chelski. Where is the crisis?

Poch and the players deserve great credit for achieving such a high position in the PL. The Arsenal result was a blip and I firmly believe that once we are ensconced in our new stadium, we will improve upon our current position. I look forward to a top four finish at this season's end.
  6. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -0
    We played Chelsea and Inter. Arsenal played Bournmouth and then left almost all their starters at home when they flew to Kiev for their dead rubber Europa game against some nobody team. Some of our players played 270 minutes in 7 days to Arsenal's 180. Is "They were fresher" allowed to be a reason we lost or must it be because we are rubbish without new players and therefore our season is doomed and we'll be lucky to stave off relegation despite starting better than we ever have in the PL? People whine that KWP and the other kids never get to play and will never improve unless they do, yet when Poch does they whine that he should bench the kids in favor of the established players I agree that if Toby was fit to play it was suicidal to not start him. If you want him fresh for Barca then play him vs Arse and rest him the other games. Since Jan stunk on ice hindsight would suggest Toby/Foyth. That was a tactical error, not a result of bad players or an indicator of the rest of the season.

Are Davies/Aurier/Sissoko good enough? Backup perhaps but we have so many injuries there is literally no one else unless you want to start the U23 kids. Do we need more players? Yes. If nothing else than so players can actually get a rest. Could we benefit from better players? Of course. Some of our players are either approaching their born-on date or have reached their potential and it ain't really that high. But that doesn't mean that our season is over.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    Further to above: we are now 3rd in the PL, above Chelsea and Arsenal.
  8. anderton46 Active Member

anderton46
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Thoughts on the 'world class' save from Allison? I mean, it was literally hit straight at him. Other than saying his positioning was good, there is nothing else about it that springs out that doesn't say its a bog standard save. I think the fact it was late in the game and meant Liverpool weren't knocked out has elevated it to some ridiculous level of praise. What other keepers spring to mind who you think WOULDNT have been in the exact same position as Allison?
  9. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +433 / 17 / -0
    It was a good save, not great. Loads calling it Schmeichel-esque as he made himself big. Well...he is a pretty big lad, so that helps.

With those sort of star-jump saves you just need a bit of luck and his was that it was hit right at him.
  10. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,362 / 60 / -0
    My son plays keeper, so we tend to watch lots of keeper highlights. It was good goalkeeping in that he came towards the player and really spread out, but its not like he used his hands as a quick reaction or anything. He was essentially in the right place and the guy hit him, which is what he was supposed to do. I guess given the situation it was a good save, but not one for the highlight reel.
  11. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -0
    You know what was a good save? That save on Eriksen's curling shot. Full stretch. Made it look easy. I've noticed something Barca does that most teams don't, us included. (maybe because they are one of the best in the world?) Often times the ball is shot straight at the keeper and you score because he zigged when he should have zagged or like Salah's goal yesterday where he went straight through the 5-hole (which is a really neat trick with something the size of a soccer ball) Messi, Coutinho and Barca in general seem to place their shots just inside the goal post. It makes it completely unsavable but if they are off they hit the post a lot. PL teams tend to go for curl or power and either miss the frame entirely or go straight at the keeper. I realize its not as simple as that since the keeper's job is to position himself where the ball is likely to go and to cut the angles so they miss the frame. You tend to overlook when the keeper makes a save and only notice when he doesn't. Still, am i crazy or have you noticed La Liga teams trying to shoot where the keeper isn't?
  12. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,362 / 60 / -0
    That was a great save. So was the one he had on Moura’s header. He had no business getting that one.
  13. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I said before that I think there is a tendency to fixate on the keeper and then unintentionally to ball goes straight at him. Good players don't look at the goal or the goalie. They know where they are! They watch the ball and the defender and aim for the post.
  14. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Keepers do not spread themselves to make themselves as big as they can like they used to imo , they tend to just slide in feet first which makes it easier for the player with the ball to score, the Cardiff keeper Etheridge is guilty of doing this for me.
  15. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
  16. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Ugh, Ajax just red carded. Less interesting now.
  17. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Muller red carded! 10 aside now.
  18. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Penalty! Ajax with chance to win group here
  19. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
  20. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Bayern has earned a pen now.
  21. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Equalized.
  22. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Gotta say since I put Abamayang in my dream team he couldn’t hit a barn door with a shovel.....Arsenal you really are fcuking shit, just can’t repeat the NLD cup final performance week in week out....mugs
  24. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    10 goals from 10 shots on target. Was never going to last. Can only be so blessed.
  25. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Are Liverpool that good or are Utd that bad??
    Turns out to be a great weekend for us with regards to the teams chasing us, only Chelsea kept pace, we have opened a 5pt gap to Arseholes and Utd look dead a buried in relation to top 4 now, and amazingly they sit 6th....
    Busy Christmas period coming up and a run of very winnable games, if we can open a gap between the two chasing us we can go into the new year with a clear run at the 3 cups (providing we get past the arseholes) and can maybe afford a gamble or two in the league if we have a big enough cushion....
    Top two are already sorted out, I think that’s fair to say? A cup win and a top 4 finish this season would be a massive achievement with everything going on considered....