Referees

Discussion in 'Players Lounge' started by BigDub, Feb 6, 2010.

1. BigDub Leg end !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +5,657 / 45 / -0
    I hope this is the correct place to post this. If not, my apologies.

Anyways, I was just reading through the list of referees for Saturday's games and started to think of who some of the better and worse officials in the league are. Figured I would pose the question to the masses and see what opinions were like. So who are some of your better-like reds and which ones do you hate to see come match day?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. The Sundance Yid Well-Known Member

The Sundance Yid
    Ratings:
    +1,053 / 7 / -0
    Unfortunately for the premier league, they are all as shite as each other. The standard of referee in the premier league is truly disgraceful. I'm not sure if there is a rule for referees to be home grown or anything, maybe someone can enlighten me on this? But in my opinion I think that to really take the crown as the best league in Europe the standard of referee really has to be stepped up. I think referees are given for too much benefit of the doubt and I think referees should be held accountable for their actions as much as Managers are for critising them. I think of they are held accountable it might improve their performances.
  3. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,509 / 25 / -0
    Sundance that's way to harsh, after SAF's last rant it was evidenced that referees run further in games than 90% of the players, this shows they are physically fit. Do they make mistakes, of course they do, but think on this, sitting in the stands on many occasions I would 'put my mortgage' on a incidents like a 'stone cold penalty' only to get home and see on MOTD the defender cleanly takes the ball.
    If I can't see things from my unobstructed view then how can I blame the ref who is trying to run, watch 22 players, the ball and time-keep?
    The truth is referees are probably of a higher standard than ever in terms of fitness and match experience, the other truth is players and managers have got away with disrespecting referees far to much, this is a 100% a no go area and cnuts like SAF should shut up or be banned.
    What can be done? It's obvious and despite the idiots at FIFA it will happen and that's the use of technology, that 'stone cold penalty' is easily verified by a TV replay, as are red cards and balls over the line. Will this delay the game? In most games you are talking about three or four incidents max, so if each one delays the game by a minute that's 2 minutes per half ..... less than Fergie time.
    The solution is not to berate the 'man in black' the solution is to help him do the job to the best of his and technologies ability.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Luke0405 New Member

Luke0405
    Ratings:
    +543 / 0 / -0
    Howard Webb is a personal most hated of mine. :(
  5. The Sundance Yid Well-Known Member

The Sundance Yid
    Ratings:
    +1,053 / 7 / -0
    I am not just talking about stone wall penalties and goal-line goals. If anyone watched the Liverpool -v- Everton game this afternoon you will know what I am saying. Atkinson was far to easily influenced by Liverpool loud mouth players and the Liverpool crowd. The premier league also seems to be having problems defining what the offside rule is of late and all the officials seem to have conflicting definitions.
  6. ParkLaneMal Well-Known Member

ParkLaneMal
    Ratings:
    +2,017 / 7 / -0
    Even from the Park Lane end Defoe's penalty appeal looked a certain pen, but no, yet again a ref dismisses our right for a penalty with a wave of his hand.
    If it had been at the other end we know what the outcome would be.
    It's gutting to see the lads work so hard and deserve 3 points and with minutes to go a definite penalty appeal is not given.
    Had this been Old Hairy Nose or Arse Whinger we all know what the outcome would have been.
  7. spurs liam 24 New Member

spurs liam 24
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Howard Webb= **** :finger:
  8. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    They even themselves out over the year we have touches go our way from time to time.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. kevfball63 Banned !

kevfball63
    Ratings:
    +880 / 0 / -0
    I would have to say that the Penalty given to Leeds and then the one denied to us yesterday is about as bad as inconsistence can get in our game today . Or was they both 50-50 and we got the worse end of both.........??
  10. ParkLaneMal Well-Known Member

ParkLaneMal
    Ratings:
    +2,017 / 7 / -0
    Don't feel anything like swings and roundabouts to me Punit :18:
  11. conor1 Last tango in Belfast

conor1
    Ratings:
    +5,284 / 75 / -0
    Bumping this baby lads and lasses.

Todays performance by Taylor was poor. Simple as. But this particular subject has been eating away at me for a while now and I have no doubt that the standard of refereeing this season has hit an all-time low. I don't know whether the countless directives by which they do their job has made it almost impossible for them, or the speed of the game has a bearing on their decisions or what it is but the bottom line for me is that they simply get far too many of a games big decisions wrong. Take today for instance, I'm only doing that because it is freshest in my mind, and the 2 penalty shouts. As Kanes was not given why wasn't he booked for diving? It's a very simple question for a ref to be asked. The flip side tho is that Ledley made a meal of the challenge on him and effectively got Palace back in the game by duping the ref, also known as cheating. Its wrong and it is unfair. Now I appreciate that some people take the line that these things even themselves out but I'm not altogether sure that they do.
    I coach a local under 18 side and we play the game to win but primarily for fun, our lives and livelihood don't depend on it. We coach the kids from a young age to respect referees and their decisions but I tell you, it is very difficult to respect referees who consistently get basic things wrong and take an air of aloofness about everything they do and say during a game. Respect needs to be earned and its about time referees and the FA realised this. They should be openly asked after games for the reasons behind their decisions.
    I'm old school and am not sure whether the introduction of a working 4th official/video replays sort of thing is the way to go but something needs to be done about referees and their dwindling quality imo
    • Like Like x 1
  12. koppel Well-Known Member

koppel
    Ratings:
    +6,161 / 46 / -0
    I thought it was a stonewall penalty, but the argument 'why wasn't he booked then' is not a good one mate. It says clearly in the rules that there's a middle ground, you can go down in the box without being fouled or dive. 'Accidental obstruction' I think it's called, but even that is a thin line because so many accidental ones are given and branded as clear cut penalties.

I agree that the level of the referees this season has been shocking. I can't remember so many mistakes being committed, and for me the lack of a clear line in games is an even bigger problem. One minute someone flies in and chops a player down without being booked, but 5 minutes later a player is booked for a push in the back near the corner flag. Consistency is a big problem.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,132 / 76 / -0
    I've always thought that referees struggle if they haven't played the game. I didn't think any of the pen calls today where penalties. The Stambouli one was difficult to be fair because I bet a lot of us needed a few replays to see that Stam got the ball. Walkers wasn't even in the area and it still wasn't deliberate anyway. Kane's could have been given but again it looked soft. It doesn't mean its a dive either.

The obvious dive was Chadli. Why he wasn't booked, I know not.

The ref at Sunderland was also very poor. They are making huge mistakes every week. You cant learn the game solely in a classroom or on a computer. You need to play it as well.

One thing that will help massively is if 2 match bans are dished out for diving. Any blatant dive in the box needs punishing. Its hard to call sometimes when it happens but video evidence after the event, needs implementing.

Refs are poor at times but cheating doesn't help.
    Dave,
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. conor1 Last tango in Belfast

conor1
    Ratings:
    +5,284 / 75 / -0
    I take your point about the booking remark but it was not and could not even remotely be construed as accidental obstruction. Like you I thought it was a stonewall pen, he clipped him. Kane go down and if the ref thinks he has dived he should have booked him. I agree with @Dave tbf, Chadli should have been booked for a very blatant bit of cheating in the 1st half. Its a cancer in the game not helped by referees incredible inconsistency
    • Like Like x 1
  15. philthy Active Member

philthy
    Ratings:
    +400 / 17 / -0
    It wouldn't affect the outcome of the game, but retrospective 2 game bans could be given where reviews of the game identified a blatant dive. I doubt the FA would have the bottle to even consider a points reversal if a penalty won from a dive resulted in 3 points.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    Why would we even be talking about this IF technology got rid of the aspect of human fallibility.

Why would there be an need for a forum IF it was just robotic referees making clinical decisions.

We may as well put all of the players parameters in the FA's computer and see which one pops up as the statistical winner. Fcuk actually playing and allowing humans to controll/play/enjoy the spectacle of the same game we played as, and now with, our kids down the park with jumpers for goal posts, fcük that eh.......!

The wrongs for and against is what brings us here. It's what we discuss. It's what we have a beer about with the lads and rip the piss out of one another about when it's them and not us suffering.

Goal line tech, video refs, retrospective video decisions are all utter horse shit imo. I should be able to play the exact same game for the dog and duck as they play in the FA cup final.

The decisions generally even them selves out over the season and the amount of times we actually have cause to berate a referee is minuscule in comparison to the decisions they get right in hordes.

TECHNOLOGY OUT.....!
  17. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +14,573 / 46 / -0
    Look at the date of the op and I thanked it?? Marty 88 mph
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,132 / 76 / -0
    Most I agree with but diving needs punishing. That's nothing to do with football. Its blatant cheating by players who take the easy way out. It needs stopping.
    Dave,
  19. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    But we're talking about it..........

Have penalty box officials Who's job it is to spot this stuff maybe?

I don't like it either but it's part of the game right now
  20. conor1 Last tango in Belfast

conor1
    Ratings:
    +5,284 / 75 / -0
    Yeh agree but it still doesn't stop the horrendous decisions being made during a game be it regarding dives, handballs or whatever. I think something has to be done to improve referees performances. I do think one of the lads above has a point about current referees not having played the game to a decent level not that you'd ge too many ex-pros becoming refs. I think consulting a video replay fo decisions may be the only way to go but not sure FIFA or FA have the gumption or the balls to even trial it.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,132 / 76 / -0
    Not sure about have box officials. Those moby's stood next to the posts in European games do nothing. Isnt what they are meant to do?

I think the refs are already getting some sort of help through their earpiece. What, I don't know but like you, mistakes etc are part of the game and always have been. Its just the diving that the governing bodies have manufactured into the game that riles me. They must like it or they'd have done something about it.

I'm not sure we're in a position to moan too much about today. We have had a few strokes of luck this season. These decisions do usually even themselves out.
    Dave,
    • Like Like x 1
  22. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    NO NO NO NO NO.

When you coach those kids it was (fcukin goal line tech) the same game as they played in the FA, champions Legue, world Fookin cup finals FFS.

Don't make it a different game. Don't make football a two tiered game for the super rich to play at the pinacle.

Working mans game, for working men, anywhere in the world. Not just stadia, not just the premier league, not just the rich.

I hate the idea that my boy will never play the same game his heroes play. He won't unless he is a fookin sight better than his old man.

Rich football V Real football........ I know what I'd go for every day of the week Spurs or no Spurs.
  23. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +14,573 / 46 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. jamiendg Well-Known Member

jamiendg
    Ratings:
    +512 / 10 / -0
    I remember being at a Canadian national team game that had a large screen showing the game and instant replays, It was vs Honduras and the Honduran team was doing everything in the book to waste time. Whenever the ref made a decision there would be a replay on the screen. But when the ref made made a really bad call FIFA officials would quickly turn off the screen until play resumed just to save face. It happened allot during the game and frankly the officiating was pathetic as was covering up the refereeing mistakes seconds after the call. There is no reason why replays couldnt be used within seconds to clean up the human error involved in the game.
  25. Lilywhite74 Well-Known Member

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +5,249 / 12 / -0
    I'm always of two minds about this. The middle ground--goalline technology and retroactive action for diving and other offenses is probably as far as I'm willing to go without kicking and screaming.

And, of course, flux capacitors.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. boo Well-Known Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +7,475 / 47 / -0
    It's only ever the team that loses which brings up the debate aboot the ref lol! It was the dirty chavs last week, us this week, manure next week?
    boo,
    • Like Like x 1
  27. jamiendg Well-Known Member

jamiendg
    Ratings:
    +512 / 10 / -0
    Yeah I'm sure if I looked at my old posts over the years i would find the same tired statement repeated every six months.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +11,712 / 127 / -3
    I don't see why a video ref can't be used. They use it in Rugby and it makes fukk all difference to the flow of a game, I would really like to see a Cricket style appeals system brought in, the captain - who should be the only bloke who is allowed to question the ref (anyone else who screams in his face gets a yellow) should be allowed 2 challenges to be decided by the video official, if the challenge is wrong then it's gone, if not then they still have two left. It would take pressure off the refs and stop a lot of bad decisions like yesterday's which DID cost us the game.

I absolutely want to see an end to this infallible referee bollox where a referee's decision can not be looked at and dealt with after a game. A panel of experts should watch every game and if they find wrong'uns, then bans, points deductions/awarding etc. should be applied. The game is slipping into a swamp full of cheating fukkers.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Wotspur I'm Only a poor little Yiddo, .....

Wotspur
    Ratings:
    +1,473 / 8 / -0
    Last week two refs had similar decisions to make, in our game the ref got it right in that whilst the ball hit Jan's arm, it was ball to hand ......in the Leiceser v Dippers game the ref gave 2 pens, at best both were harsh......
    I dislike it when the ref gives 2 different decisions for the same offence in 2 different frames in any season, what I can not understand is how 1 ref in the same game can give 2 bipolar opposite decisoons in the same game that is just not acceptable, yesterday v Palace either were both pens or neither were
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Napoleon's Totts Active Member

Napoleon's Totts
    Ratings:
    +388 / 2 / -0
    It is not at all complicated. The ref wasn't watching on TV, and from his perspective on the pitch they did not appear to be the same. Who knew that one of 23 guys running up and down a football pitch nonstop for 90 minutes may not be able to enjoy the same perspective and time to contemplate the situation that a bunch of people above the action in the stands or watching a million replays on TV from their sofas have?

Until their is some additional official sitting in front of a TV screen, this is always going to be something that happens. It is literally impossible for the ref to have a clear view of every single incident that might happen in a match. It sucks when your favorite team is the victim of it, but that doesn't mean it's some great mystery how it happens.