Ricardo Pereira

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by Shacklebolt, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,601 / 30 / -0
    Maybe there is a thread already but I couldn't find it.

We've been heavily linked with him, especially after Walker to Mancity seems set. The fee I've seen floating around for Pereira is around £22m.

I know nothing about this guy except what I've read in the papers. What intrigued me is that he has experience both as RB and RW. Anyone got some intel? What's he like as a player?

Ricardo Pereira could join Tottenham in £22m transfer | London Evening Standard
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jaggeh Active Member

Jaggeh
    Ratings:
    +231 / 4 / -0
    I did read one article that said Pep didn't want to risk getting Pereria (settling in etc) and Walker won't have any settling issues.
    So if there is any risk why would we be interested?

But then again, that was from some "news" paper site so it got auto-filed under "bullshit".

Apart from that, no idea.

Glad I could contribute :)
  3. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,601 / 30 / -0
    Yeah. I believe Pereira first and foremost will be second choice at RB, atleast to begin with. We have Trippier who's already settled in, while Mancity has no designated RB at the moment and desperately needs a first-choice at that position. So I wouldn't worry to much about the settling from our perspective.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jaggeh Active Member

Jaggeh
    Ratings:
    +231 / 4 / -0
    I still remember Trips@Burnley against us - those dipping crosses were f'ing lethal.

Hopefully, as first choice and with less defensive responsibilities (back 3) we can leverage that. If Pereria is a little more defensive (kinda like Davies is to Rose) then it may work.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,219 / 57 / -0
    Why are you looking at Trippier's performances at Burnley? He got plenty of minutes the last 2 years with us to know exactly the kind of performances we should expect from him.
  6. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,469 / 18 / -0
    This will be our Walker replacement
    • Like Like x 3
  7. spursfast Well-Known Member

spursfast
    Ratings:
    +274 / 20 / -0
    hope...
  8. KTM87 Active Member

KTM87
    Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0
    Can anyone tell me anything about this guy? I know a lot about european footballers but id never heard of him before we were linked. I know hes played bout 30 games for Porto since 2013 and the last two seasons he's been at Nice on loan but thats all.

For 20 odd million id of expected to know a bit about him. Id never heard of Nkoudu or Njie either but they were around the 10 mil mark.

I'd rather go try get Cedric Soares from Southampton tbh. What does Ricardo Pereira have that sets him above others and makes him worth 20mil?
  9. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +2,726 / 111 / -0
    Here's the quick guide to Ricardo Pereira....we will sign him with half the Walker money ( minus Sheffield Uniteds 10% cut) we will start a poll rating him 1 to 10, and after a few quick YouTube videos some will swear he's god and will rate him 10, others will go "WTF" and rate him between 1 and 5. We will conduct another poll this time next year and nearly all will rate him between 1 and 3, just before he is sold for half the amount we paid.....there it is, I give you Ricardo Pereira.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. KTM87 Active Member

KTM87
    Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0
    Thats what im dreading. And why id rather we go for Cedric. All i've seen so far is the hope that we get him but no one ever seems to be able to tell me the quality he has that makes him a worthwhile signing.

If this was a punt for 5-10 million i could understand, but if were gonna spend almost half of the walker money on someone untested and with nothing to justify the fee it worries me.

I trust Poch with mostly everything, the one thing he hasnt convinced me of is the unknown signings he makes. Everyone who's done well 75% of spurs fans had heard of.

Out of the 2014-15 season signings, the only one i hadnt heard of was Yedlin and he proved to be pointless tho he only cost 2.5m

2015-16 only one i hadnt heard of was N'jie, hes total guff

2016-17 was N'koudu and he has shown glimpses but not enough even for a first season.

Now theres this guy but for 22m. Only thing im hearing is "oh hes a beast on FM/Fifa" But in my FM Game Johnathan Callieri scored 34 goals for wet spam, then got sold to southampton for 35million, scored 32 goals, then Man C bought him for 65m....so FM knows f**k all tbf
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,399 / 42 / -0
    The fact he has been on loan for so long worries me, yet we want to pay £20m ??
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thyophelis Active Member

Thyophelis
    Ratings:
    +323 / 36 / -0
    wow lots of negative speculation here. The reason he s been on loan is that the top teams in Portugal don t have a 25 man roaster, they have over 40 players, because selling players for profit is part of the necessarie business. Ricardo always struck me as a player who wants to play first team, that s why he didn t renew his contract with Sporting one of the best academies in the country. At Porto he was always behind Maxi Pereira who s pretty much set at right back. Like with any team that is fighting for titles and playing champions league, it s hard to get chances for young players, you re either satisfied with a back up role or you go on loan.
    With Favre he s got an amazing good coach, he s the Swiss Pocchetino who regurarely gets his players into the national team.
    I can see why Pocchetino would like a fullback like Pereira, he s quick, a workhorse, technicly sound and has good vision. He s not the strongest but most man are not fully developed at 23 and gain some muscle in their mid 20 s. To be honest, I would be alot more exited to see Pereira play on the left then Davies.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,219 / 57 / -0
    I know absolutely nothing about this guy but this transfer doesn't feel right to me. Hard to put my finger on it but my spidey sense is tingling.

Also, shouldn't this thread be in the Transfer News forum?
  14. ghostyhed Active Member

ghostyhed
    Ratings:
    +560 / 8 / -0
    i think 50m receive is not going to a right back. I have a feeling that Poch thinks that KWP is ready to step up, thus, that 50m in the bank will be for paying off the stadium + increase our scope a potential upgrade to our bench / front 4.
  15. StripiestPilot Well-Known Member

StripiestPilot
    Ratings:
    +4,972 / 77 / -0
    I can't see us spending anything close to £22m on a defender, we have never spent that kind of money on the position and we certainly won't when we already have Trippier. Toby and Jan barely cost more than £10m and all our other defenders were around £5m. We should try and get Adam Smith back from Bournemouth instead.

I'm not saying we won't sign Perreira but not at that price.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  16. NYYiddo1019 Well-Known Member

NYYiddo1019
    Ratings:
    +1,518 / 35 / -0
    @spursman18 always turns out to be right when it comes to transfers it seems. We'll likely sign Periera in the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Hazza Well-Known Member

Hazza
    Ratings:
    +1,366 / 19 / -0
    Pep is probably being a bit naïve. Walker has been a fantastic fullback for us and improved immeasurably under Poch, but Man City do not have our defence. Walker looks so great, because he had an element of attacking freedom, due to the cover he had from either Alderweireld, Dier or Wanyama. Man City's defence is atrocious, I can't see Stones sweeping up Walkers positional defensive failings in the same way as Alderweireld. Fernandinho and Toure don't have the positional discipline of Dier or the engine of Wanyama to be able to plug any gaps that might appear if an attack breaks down and Walker is high up the field.

Man City will be a good team to watch for the neutral next season, because there will be plenty of goals at either end. But they are far from putting up a title challenge in my opinion, with their squad as it currently stands.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,601 / 30 / -0
    Yeah. That Pep wanted Walker struck me by surprise. Mostly because Pep always seemed to prefer a very specific type of player. Good with the ball, versatile, tactically skilled and so on. I'm not saying Walker is rubbish at those aspects but he's always been more of an athlete than the typical 'intelligent' footballer.

There is no hidden tale behind why Walker has played his best the last 2-3 seasons. The way Pochettino wants the team to play and setup plays to all of Walkers strengths. We've already seen how Pep has struggled to implement his style of football in the EPL. It will be interesting to see if he persists with it the coming season. Walker has been excellent for us and I'm sure he won't be a flop at City but I'm not convinced he'll be as good as he has been for us.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,048 / 32 / -0
    I think Walker may "walking" into a difficult situation. He's his own fiercest critic and no one else will cut him any slack either. He'll be expected to be the veteran who puts things right, and he may not be up to it. Pep will need to handle him right or it could all spiral down.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,276 / 227 / -0
    With Spurs, Walker is usually the furthest wide player up field in the attacking zone. That is a position you want an expert crosser in. That's the way Poch plays. Crossing is the reason Trippier began to get starts towards the end of the season. Because that's what Poch needs out of his RBs. Even though Walker couldn't cross, the entire right side of the pitch is his when Spurs play. His pace helped and he had the freedom to at least run up an down the field on that side.

The way Man City line up, their RBs stay around the box in attacks and cut inward almost to a CM area. That's a tight space and requires very quick thinking, great decision making along with strength and dribbling ability. Walkers physical attributes will help him in this area. But I think his weaknesses will be exaggerated in this MC scheme. It's very possible that if Pep continues to use their RBs in this way, Walker could be in for a headache of a season. Or, maybe he will slip into it like a duck in water. I just think he is going to have some trouble, at least at first.

Now Pereira would be perfect for Spurs for the same reason Trippier is but also the same reason Walker is.

Pereira has a beautiful cross, which I think we can say is the primary aspect Poch wants from his RB in attack. Trippier isn't slow, but he's not as fast as Walker or Pereira. Speed would allow Pereira to play as Walker did with us shooting up and down the right side of the pitch, except when Pereira gets to the corner in attack, he can drop a beauty of a pass in. He also has a better shot than Walker who often reminded me of Townsend when he would cut inside to the box and just blast the ball wildly.

Summation, Pereira would be absolutely ideal for this Spurs team. However, I think we would be perfectly ok heading in to the season with Trippier and KWP as our main options.
  21. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,457 / 15 / -0
    If we get Pereira, I don't think we'll miss Walker at all.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. spursfast Well-Known Member

spursfast
    Ratings:
    +274 / 20 / -0
    if we wanted him, we would be well advanced with this by now , given that the walker situation was coming to conclusion,. the chances are either poch has another target or they have in mind not to replace/competition for trips
  23. Lucian Active Member

Lucian
    Ratings:
    +318 / 8 / -0
    There reports saying Juve want him to replace Alves

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
  24. LukeDanielHotspur Well-Known Member

LukeDanielHotspur
    Ratings:
    +397 / 21 / -0
    SkySports reporting Porto are playing hardball over us signing him
  25. Dginzu_Yank Active Member

Dginzu_Yank
    Ratings:
    +84 / 1 / -0
    Some people are swearing that Poch wants to go with Trippier/Walker-Peters... Thoughts?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +367 / 3 / -0

I don't blame em. They've just seen us take 50mill for Walker, and the crazy money being chucked about by the Prem clubs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +279 / 6 / -0
    With Levy negotiating this one aint gonna happen quick.
    If at all!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,265 / 22 / -0
    I hope so
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,457 / 15 / -0
    You know, I thought Levy would have this one wrapped up before hand subject to Walker being sold (or to a certain 'grace period')..
    This way, it wouldn''t be in the media as us having plenty of cash to burn.

Just my humble opinion.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,048 / 32 / -0
    That's why I said I thought Pochettino must have already given the seal of approval to KWP. We aren't going to be caught negotiating from weakness like that. We wouldn't let Walker go before already having his replacement.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1