Rio Ferdinand and Scott Parker Post #67

Discussion in 'In the Know ( ITK )' started by AmericanHotspur, May 21, 2011.

1. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    "rebrab on SC about Rio Ferdinand

Quote:
    Fergie will be buying another CB this summer, we will be bidding for Rio. Obviously doesn't mean we'll get him, but the feeling is (apparently) that Smalling and co. will take over Rio's position at Man U and he'd be happy to come rather than not be a definite starter there... guaranteed this will be hitting the rags soon enough, too big a piece of news not to really.

on another note, again I shall state that Arsenal AREN'T in for Parker (Parker himself has told the club this), I assume he has mentioned the names Liverpool and Arsenal to put off other London teams that will offer him first team football. Expect him to sign as has been said by plenty of people. Again, not sure how I feel about this"

Right, because our most glaring need is another old center back with no resale value. I understand that 'Arry wants leaders, but why do we need to bid for Ferdinand? What would he bring to our team that Gallas, King, or Dawson don't already? The fact that he has played for 'Arry before? I'd be fine with Samba, he's only 27 and he actually could replace King as a ball-winning defender, but I just don't understand why 'Arry thinks that buying these veterans will help us more than investing in some youth in a season where we have money available. Ferdinand is definitely a good player, but for how long? Gallas and King are arguably around his playing level and age.

Scott Parker has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and I don't want this thread to focus on him, but Harry appears to like PL proven mid-table (or in Parker's case, relegated) side players. So many examples (Defoe, Crouch, Keane, Palacios, Bassong, Kranjcar, Chimbonda, etc.) This worked up until about when we made CL. Scott Parker and Rio Ferdinand aren't taking us to the next step. Players like Sandro, Modric, Bale, players we took a chance on from abroad (Bale not so much I guess) those are the future of our club.

I love being linked with the young talent from places other than England. I like how 'Arry is in France today watching Gervinho and Hazard. However, while we are linked with a lot of players, we usually just end up signing a PL player. Maybe I'm overreacting to just one ITK but this is more of a post on a big picture scale, reminiscent of a bigger problem. Look at Porto- They have consistently signed young talent from different parts of the world and developed it into a world class side. Falcao was bought from River Plate, not for cheap, but for significantly less than the 25m we have said we would pay for him. Hulk was playing in Japan FFS when they signed him. Cissokho, Lopez, and also Benni McCarthy to an extent are players they made big profits on. They just bought a new Argentinian, Iturbe, who is showing signs of having Messi-like talent as well.

This is not suggesting I am a huge Porto fan and we should immediately copy their model, but we should look for some other talent. Sandro has been a huge impact player this season, and I would be happy with us bringing in a guy like Damiao over say, Gyan or Wickham. Sure it may not work all the time (Postiga, Ghaly, Mido) but I wouldn't have a problem with being more open with our transfer decisions. There is talent in other places than the PL, and Gervinho and Hazard are a step in the right direction. Ferdinand and Parker, however, are not looking toward the future and a step backwards.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,184 / 40 / -0
    Cor blimey, Gov, first Parker, Tomkins previously mentioned and now (maybe) Ferdinand. And not forgetting Defoe and Carrick.

Now, will everyone please join me in a chorus of Knees Up Mother Brown. I've got the jellied eels in.
  3. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    hmm very strange but in arry we trust.
  4. Eighteen82 New Member

Eighteen82
    Ratings:
    +962 / 0 / -0
    'Arry revealed we bid for him before getting Gallas as well...
  5. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Guys sorry for the rant in the last 2 paragraphs :07: it is a good point but I don't think it has anything to do with the ITK.
    Anyways, all Rio Ferdinand does these days is tweet and let Vidic be Vidic IMO. I wish 'Arry would stop trying for all these English vets.. one or two is fine but bringing in Beckham and Gallas is better than Parker and Ferdinand for veteran presence IMO. And cheaper.
  6. PunchInTheNutz New Member

PunchInTheNutz
    Ratings:
    +149 / 0 / -0
    I can understand the link with Rio Ferdinand. You have to put Harry in the context of his career at Spurs to understand why he wants proven PL players. This next season is probably his last at Spurs before he moves on to manage England. He has one final crack at winning the Premier League and I reckon he thinks he has as good a chance as any. This is why he seems to be indicating taking less risky bets in the transfer market. Rio Ferdinand and Scott Parker represent experience and leadership and that could well be what we need. I certainly think we could have done with a bit of extra leadership recently. It might have got us those few extra points we dropped against the likes of Blackpool and West Brom and the like. So I can understand both these guys coming to the Lane. It would make Harry a bit more confident in terms of resting and rotating players instead of having to play the same guys every week. This is something we didn't do much at all this past season so it could be big advantage to us.
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gareth Bale Is a Yid New Member

Gareth Bale Is a Yid
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Anyone saying that Vidic carries Ferdinand needs their head examined. He is still one of the best CB's in the world

Imagine what our CB grouping could be

Gallas
    King
    Dawson
    Ferdinand

Can anybody else match that?
  8. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,184 / 40 / -0
    Two of whom are invariably crocked.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. P UNIT 1980 Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT 1980
    Ratings:
    +10,170 / 38 / -1
    Ferdinand is a fookin crack head.

Good playa tho. When not injured.
  10. jerseyyid New Member

jerseyyid
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I can see the papers now, ferdinand and berbatov in a swap for mod
  11. steventhfc New Member

steventhfc
    Ratings:
    +683 / 0 / -0
    lolno [MENTION=7537]jerseyyid[/MENTION]
  12. ShaneOMac Active Member

ShaneOMac
    Ratings:
    +192 / 10 / -0
    I like Rio but I don't really want to sign him. At all.

If we're going for a CB, it should be Samba, Jones or BOTH OF THEM.
  13. stead_uk Active Member

stead_uk
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    how about scott dann or roger johnson?
  14. RandomHero New Member

RandomHero
    Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    I'd take Roger Johnson as a squad guy. No nonsense defender, and he's a threat from set pieces.
  15. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,690 / 15 / -0
    The thing that we don't really know, and harry probably does to some extent, is exactly what is wrong with Gallas's knees/calfs whatever. I personally am planning on him being another King by next season - which is not what we need. If it looks like he can recover and be consistent then thats great, but if not I am on the spend the big money for a CB partner for daws bandwagon..... and old Rio is not what we need. If Gallas is going to be fairly consistent and Harry thinks getting Rio will give him 3 top top CBs to pick from for very little money, then maybe it is worth it to pick him up and have yet another year to pick up a long term CB. But note that that strategy did not work well this season (with Gallas and King) as King was basically injured non-stop, that may become the case with Gallas as well.
  16. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,690 / 15 / -0
    Seems to me that King is done. When he does play he can hardly get through a game without injury. Pretty sure it has been a year since he had a run of games without injury, and even that was not all that long or certain. Like Gallas this season, he played injured a lot. Love the guy, but I am done counting on him to be there as cover - and honestly if both are relatively healthy right now - Gallas is better.

Naturally, King is not what he was a couple years back, I think we are having trouble coming to terms with that.
  17. Gareth Bale Is a Yid New Member

Gareth Bale Is a Yid
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Gallas better than Ledley?

Watch the Liverpool game.

Luis Suarez????
    Andy Caroll????
    Maxi Rodriguez????
    Dirk Kuyt????

Nowhere to be seen.
  18. thornton3 New Member

thornton3
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Vidic would carry almost any partner. He is by far the bigger contributor out of Rio and Nemanja.

OT: I know Parker would be a good signing, likely a barggain unless other clubs are interested. Rio isn't exactly a youthful player, but he could have a couple of years left in him. I also don't believe his place in the XI is about to be comandeered by Smalling.
  19. RandomHero New Member

RandomHero
    Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    I very much doubt Utd would sell Rio. Smalling is a good player, but he's not better than Rio just yet.