Robbie Keane is a Legend

Discussion in 'Players Lounge' started by zander1983, Jun 22, 2011.

1. zander1983 New Member

zander1983
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    For some reason, Keane is almost universally despised by Spurs fans, particularly the ones here. Defoe and Pav, over the last 2 years, have been almost universally loved. This despite neither of them coming anywhere close to matching what Keane has done for Spurs. Check out this profile:

Robbie Keane: 14 Years of a Legend Being Taken For Granted (Part 1) « Back Page Football

I watched Keane over the last 2 months break the 50 goal mark with Ireland (hes on 51 in 108 games). Theres a chance that he will recover his confidence (as he did in 2006 when dropped to reserves by Jol) and start scoring again. Either way, i'd like to see him rightly referred to as a modern day Spurs legend and not constantly disparaged. Defoe and Pav dont belong in the same sentence as him. Sell Defoe and Pav, keep Keane and Crouch. This could be his come-back year
  2. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,661 / 12 / -1
    To old amd he has not been the same since his time with the dippers. He was ruined by the fat Spanish waiter.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    I agree...I love Keano - a bit less now than I did before his move to Liverpool, but I still do.

He is past it now though.

And trust me - Defoe and Pav are most certainly NOT universally loved!!
  4. Soulsseeker Active Member

Soulsseeker
    Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    I'm one of the people who always tolerated Keane during his time here after he came back from L'pool and always believed in him, hoping he will find his best form again. I remember being so genuinely happy in the 09/10 season every time he scored, thinking he will start scoring again.
    But now, we simply cannot leave things to ifs and maybes anymore. We cannot hope anymore that some individual will find his best form again. We miss out on top 4 this season and that's it, it's over, it's hello again mid-table.
    That's why we must sell Keane now and get someone that we know can step up and score those goals. I won't lose any sleep if they decide to sell Defoe also, I don't want another dry spell from him.

I love and respect Robbie Keane, and I thank him for everything he's done at this club, but it's time to move on.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Chivalry Well-Known Member

Chivalry
    Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Epic truth, well said.

Isnt it a horrifying thought.

On topic, i adored keane. His name adorns my 125 shirt. but this broke my heart

listen to the first sentance of that vid :eek:15:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Musashi Well-Known Member

Musashi
    Ratings:
    +997 / 0 / -0
    I still consider Keane a Spurs legend. However, his time is up and he has to go.
  7. tdw76 jaws music hee hee

tdw76
    Ratings:
    +1,239 / 2 / -0
    Keane WAS a legend. he's certainly not been anything close to one since he returned from the bindippers. I was more hurt by him leaving than by berbatov - at least we all knew that one was coming. I forgave keane and was so excited when he came back but he's never really been back to his best.
  8. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,089 / 21 / -0
    Will miss him so much, thanks to you Robbie and Berba.
  9. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +125 / 3 / -0
    I enjoy watching Keane play, I think he is still the only skillful striker on the ball that we have, sadly he can't find the back of the net anymore so he needs to move on. Defoe can't score either and needs to go. I don't think its past people by as much as you may think zander but it appears selling our unwanted players isn't as easy as some expected. We may have to accept either Defoe or Keane, maybe even both will still be here in September, we'll just have to wait and see.
  10. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +781 / 3 / -0
    He is a legend for Spurs but Liverpool did ruin him.. i mean since he's been back he hasn't been inform at all, he wasn't even able to start many games for West Ham, a team that was relegated, so he clearly isn't the player that is needed by our club, i want him to go to a team where he can play every game for his international benefit...
  11. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,284 / 5 / -0
    I think you'll find most people don't like any of our strikers. For me, at this point, Keane isn't worth the wages or the hassle that comes along with having him in the squad. I'd wish him well in his future endeavors but I'm not going to shed a tear when he leaves us this time.
  12. Enfield_spurs Well-Known Member

Enfield_spurs
    Ratings:
    +764 / 0 / -0
    Mate this statement blew me away. Keane is not despised, he just frustrates a lot of spurs fans. As for Defoe and Pav, there are small sections who are in love with Pav even though he is lazy and over-rated and has all the strength of a wet twig. There are also small sections who still believe Defoe is world class and the best finisher in the game despite the last year proving otherwise. However they are still better than Keane who is past it. Spurs fans still love him, but its for the betterment of the club if he never wears the shirt again because he cannot live up to expectations.

I'll always be fond of Keane and I was in favor of giving him a testimonial until "I love liverpool they were my boyhood club." Then "I love Celtic they were my boyhood club" then "Its great to be back at tottenham, I've always felt a special affinity with the club."

Well next year he could be at a club like Nottingham Forest (he probs supported them as a boy to).
    • Like Like x 2
  13. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    that video that was posted actually makes pav look quite good :p Keano is a true legend and hes a gent as well i see him round my local area and he'll always say hello even when he's with his wife and kids shame he's not good enough now. I always think if he hadnt have left us for liverpool then he would go down as one of the clubs all time legends as he stuck with us even when we were shite. Frankly i think his sale was actually the reason berbatov left as he saw we were going nowhere selling him.
  14. stead_uk Active Member

stead_uk
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    that video makes me think that players managers come and go but we survive and unearth new stars.keane i lost alot of respect when he signed back for us! should of gone to villa or somewere or just laid in his bed he made
  15. yidno1 Well-Known Member

yidno1
    Ratings:
    +1,787 / 47 / -0
    Hes past it why cant you see that? posting up vids and dining out on his 'past' contributions for the club makes you seem like your happy to settle for mediocrity where as most sane fans can see hes a busted flush these, did you even watch his performancers for the hammers and the absolute sitters he missed some of them were pathetic.

His legs are gone and so has his clinical finishing, hes does well for the Paddies because the international game is a lot slower.

Wont be forgiven for leaving us for his other boyhood heros and then had the cheek to come back to Spurs and moan about his form at the club.

He was great first time around but he has togo in the summer, we do not want to see him next year in a Spurs shirt or we will fail.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mattyvw Well-Known Member

mattyvw
    Ratings:
    +529 / 1 / -0
    was a great player 1st time, i still feel if he had been given the same amount of game time as any of the other fw's then he would of contributed more. But thats not saying much. My favour keane goal is the blackburn goal.
  17. gazza Well-Known Member

gazza
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 3 / -0
    he betrayed the club and returned and was rubbish so there is not much to love, also he was only good with berbatov who was more magical
  18. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    no ones saying that he's the answer now but people are just appreciating what he's done for the club which im sure you'll agree in the last 10 years him and king have stood out as greaat servants for the club. Did you forgive klinnsmann when he left? Or is he a traitor as well? This is more of a keane tribute thread mate not a keane is the clinical striker we need thread.
  19. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    can you remember anything past the last 24months of life?
  20. gazza Well-Known Member

gazza
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 3 / -0
    yes i did not think he was too great, some magical goals but also many dissapointments! i liked berbatov more because he was capable of a moment of magic, keane seemed more random honestly, not as consistently magical, and not in as large quantity! i like steed more than keane. even paul stalteri
  21. heathspur Active Member

heathspur
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I think Robbie made a mistake going to Liverpool , he had great partnership with Berba and with him gone he would have been main man up front . Will always remember goal v Birmingham poor keeper he was the only one in the ground who did not know were Robbie was, hope he gets a move that suits him
  22. mattyvw Well-Known Member

mattyvw
    Ratings:
    +529 / 1 / -0
    we're on about contribution to the club Keane was class, noone is doubting berba was more talented. Keane helped for a period of years in the same way sheringham did. In the 90's we had him and mabbutt in the 2000's we had keane and king.
  23. zander1983 New Member

zander1983
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I preferred Keane far far more to Berba. In fact, after one season at Spurs, I wanted Berbatov gone. It was clear in his debut season that he was an expert at scoring 4 versus the likes of Reading or Blackburn, but hopeless in the big games. Berbatov was anonymous in 90% of big games at Spurs. Hes been anonymous in 100% of big games at United. Keane, on the other hand, always contributed an astonishing work rate, even when not scoring. Even now, in friendlies for Ireland, he runs more than anyone. Keane had a far far greater impact than Berbatov. To say otherwise is nonsense.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. thfcshady27 shady!

thfcshady27
    Ratings:
    +4,041 / 0 / -0
    he was never world class....him and the bulgarian complimented each other to a standard we could never have imagined......one went to he mancs one went to the dippers and neither has been the same since!
  25. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 33 / -0
    ohh yidno1 used to love robbie,but the love affair went bad lol
    • Like Like x 2
  26. yidno1 Well-Known Member

yidno1
    Ratings:
    +1,787 / 47 / -0
    Oh im sorry to all those having a go at me saying this is purely an appreciation of his past work for the club well let me point you in the direction of what has been high lighted above, clearly the OP wants to see this mug put back into our first team ffs, talk about blind faith!
  27. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    well the general consensus has been that it's more keano appreciation i agree that he isnt good enough for us now and that's what the majority have been saying. I think people are ignoring that point because it's a ridiculous one although i would keep crouch but i know you're not a fan ;)
  28. yidno1 Well-Known Member

yidno1
    Ratings:
    +1,787 / 47 / -0
    I think we have some major issues up front, Harry has a big task to get it right his season and to conclude Keane aint the friggin answer but nor is Crouch either.
  29. zander1983 New Member

zander1983
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Its a bit of both. I would like people to appreciate more what he has done for Spurs. But also after seeing his last few games for ireland in the celtic cup of nations, i think we should keep him. hes only 30. he has been in this situation before (in 2006 he was training with the reserves) and came back to captian the club. Given we have limited money for wages and transfer fees, keane might be part of the solution. I mean look at Defoe. The man has been deperate for 6 years IMO yet he is still considered a world class finisher (at the end of the season before last, when we went on our run that brought us 4th, defoe was subbed in 13 of the last 14 games and only scored once, from the penalty spot). I rejoiced when he was sold off and he should have stayed sold. Yet, from what i can see, hes still highly regarded despite being RUBBISH for practically his entire craeer. The adulation afforded to Pav is inexplicable. Useless useless player. Keane's a modern day Spurs legend, the hardest working player at the club, and deserves another chance.
  30. yidno1 Well-Known Member

yidno1
    Ratings:
    +1,787 / 47 / -0
    Oh bloody hell mate i ask again did you see him at west ham??? and did you see Pavs goals v Brum, i know which one has more to offer and it aint dream chaser!