Ross Barkley

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by RKen, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Barkley just represents talent at a good value these days. When you consider a comparable player like Siggy who is 5 years older is going for 50m these days. Barkley is just going to be a very low risk medium reward buy. Comparing him to one of the biggest talents in the entire world in Alli is a waste of time. If we only signed players who we have reason to believe could match Alli we'd be sitting on our hands for decades. We would never have signed signed Alli himself with this attitude.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,767 / 32 / -0
    Precisely. This is why I always get a bit surprised when I see some people frowning upon players like Zaha and Barkley. We already got a first eleven good enough to win the PL and go past the group stages in the CL. What don't have is decent squad depth / competition for every position / quality at the bench - or whatever you want to call it.
  3. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    For what Zaha will cost, he is a big risk imo, for what Barkley could cost he could be a real bargain, and he is more a similar type to Eriksen than Deli, Deli is comparatively unique.
  4. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    If we get Barkley for the proper price in January (5 million pounds max plus an expensive salary), then I think we’ve gotten a bargain for a squad player. Probably more likely we just wait til the Summer and get him on a free though.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    What ?!? That part in bold is as wrong as it ever can get.
    No one has suggested that we should only buy players we are sure WILL become better than Alli. I say we should look for the ones WHO MIGHT become better. And no, Barkley at this age and stage of his career will never surpass Alli, we pretty much know he WILL NOT grow into that statue, and so I'd say we should not consider him as potential Alli replacement as someone suggested previously. That actually is why I mentioned that Alli thing. I am okay with the transfer if we get him cheap and take it as a gamble - if he turns good, great, if not, we'll survive. But never for replacement of our current bright star!
  6. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    I didn't say players who WILL be better than Alli either so why are you acting like I did? Looking at Alli when we signed him did we reasonably think he would ever be a 20 goal a season midfielder in the premier league? Also you haven't a breeze the kind of player Barkley could turn into so I'd advise against the use of such definite statements.
  7. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    You said "If we only signed players who we have reason to believe could match Alli we'd be sitting on our hands for decades." - WHAT is it saying then? "We have reason to believe could match Alli" is saying that with different wording. This sentence is suggesting something like that. NO we did not know WHAT EXACTLY he will become. But YES we brought him because we saw immense potential in him.

And about the 2nd part - well, sure. Ofc we live in land of endless opportunities and there is a chance that I meself, being 26, out of shape and without any footballing education can theoretically become better player than Alli as well, right? You cannot say that it is impossible!! But yet somehow everyone knows it is ridiculous assumption to make.
  8. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    It means MIGHT like you said yourself. We wouldn't sign you cause we have no reason to believe you'd ever better than Alli.
  9. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    Id be quite happy if we spent 50 million on both Barkley and Zaha. Both very good players and both significantly boost our bench. Also, both players should be hungry enough to try and cement a first team place.

We need a few players who can run with the ball and take players on. They can create and score. Potential game changers. Either or both are no brainers for me.
    Dave,
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Like we don't have reason to believe Barkley ever will.

I cannot quite repeat myself enough but - when we talk about players such as Barkley (very soon 24) and Zaha (25) then we are talking about midtable players who are past the age where the progress is the fastest. Sure they can take a step or two up, but in order to be even comparable to likes of Alli (who by the way is already THERE 2.5 and 3.5 years earlier, we do not have an idea how much he might progress even more by then, and remember we are making hypotesis of Barkley/Zaha getting near his current level) and Eriksen (so to push for 1st team places) they would have to climb the whole latter up. And it is very rare that people make such progress at such age anymore.
  11. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Why are you arguing against a point nobody is making? I've never said I believe Barkley will be as good as Dele. I said only signing players we believe can be as good as Dele is now is stupid. He's an immense talent. When we signed Dele no one expected him to be as good as he is, I'd imagine the scouts would have been happy had he become a Barkley level talent. It's pointless to use him as the standard for future signings as it's very unlikely we'll sign anyone like him for another generation.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Okay, then we just live in different universes.
    In mine we should aim for such talents. And in my universe we should aim to improve. It is possible that we fail in that and out of the 10 5-10 mil players no one will get close to Alli. But this should still be the aim.
    Ofc if in yours it is fine to accept that "we will never find anyone as good or better for the generation and next 20 years we should settle for medicore talents like Barkley" then it is fine. Just different expectations.
  13. ghostyhed Active Member

ghostyhed
    Ratings:
    +571 / 8 / -0
    I am of believe that barkley will surpass alli potential and also would not. I also believe that signing barkley is good value for money and also, would not.

I like barkley and want him here to be honest. Will be a useful player.
  14. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,555 / 25 / -0
    I'd remind you that at 23/24 Gareth Bale was deemed a failure, it wasn't until '12/'13 that he came good .... and there are many more players who come good at 25+ .... not saying they will become 'world class' they most likely won't but they will significantly add to our squad depth, at the ripe old ages of 23 and 25 it's not like we won't be able to sell them and get our money back in a few years time ....
  15. AJ201 Well-Known Member

AJ201
    Ratings:
    +917 / 25 / -0
    Huh? He was immense at the back end of the 09/10 season and won (rather fortuitously it has to be said) PFA player of the year in 10/11, sure he started being a monster in 12/13 but he'd already more than paid for his transfer fee before then he certainly wasn't deemed a failure unless you count his very early days when he was what 19?

Not interested in Zaha he's far too wasteful for the money he'd cost, I'd take Barkley for a knock down price though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Bale became the player he is because he eventually igmored the coaching that was restricting his abilities, and played his natural game instead, thank god.
  17. RaleighSpur Well-Known Member

RaleighSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,300 / 37 / -0
    pretty sure it's eriksen, not dele.
  18. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,555 / 25 / -0
    Not sure about that ... Barkley at 6'2 is an ideal player to play like Dele breaking into the box late and scoring goals, he's been likened early in his career to a young Rooney, pace and power plus an eye for goal .... he always looked a far better player at Everton when on the front foot than on the back ... whilst he has, as Xavi once said, the physical and technical skills of a La Liga player, he doesn't have the vision or passing skills of Eriksen .... who does ...

If we do buy him I would like to see him developed as an out an out AM ... even a number 10 ....
  19. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Barkley has the vision and a pass in him .
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    Seems we've ended our interest in Barkley, which I find surprising and a little disappointing tbh. Maybe the severity of the injury has put us off. We better have other options though, because as last night showed, a player who can do something a little different and unlock defenses is a must.
    Chavs apparently sorting out deal with Everton.
  21. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Cant believe we are letting this happen , dont see why the chavs would want Barkley, unless they truly think he"s a missing link or something of that ilk , meanwhile we allow a player we have courted for months on end to go to a rival . The only hope, is we are in for a similar type to challenge Eriksen but will end up with another George Not a Clue..
  22. Del Boy N17 Active Member

Del Boy N17
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -0
    Pretty disappointed, I wanted him & thought he would be a very good addition, oh well
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    I read we're going to concentrate on other targets, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
  24. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,300 / 24 / -0
    Well it only took us 1 year trying to sign him so im not suprised
  25. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Not that bothered, never thought he lived up to his hype or the expectation. If all we wanted was better than Sissoko, sure, but we can probably do better than Barkley.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  26. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,142 / 35 / -0
    I don't think Barkley is that good and never really wanted him. He will just sit on the bench at Chelsea to make up their English quota. having said that, if we have no one else coming in I will be disappointed. I would rather have Barkley than no one, and he's certainly better than Sissoko, even if he's injured.
  27. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Player of higher calibre better be coming in the summer. We've had this creativity problem for years.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    For 15 million or whatever he was certainly worth a go. But I doubt whether he would ever have been a standout player for us, or will be for Chelsea. The only reason that I can think of that we didn't get him is that he wanted more money than other players who would be ahead of him. That wasn't going to work. Let's hope that there is a better midfielder in the pipeline somewhere.
  29. finchbee Well-Known Member

finchbee
    Ratings:
    +1,479 / 66 / -0
    Bullet dodged !!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    not for the wages he'll be on....over 5 years they've probably just paid out 40 million for him
    • Agree Agree x 1