Ryan Mason

Discussion in 'Player Chat' started by berby999, Mar 15, 2010.

1. berby999 MODERATOR

berby999
    Ratings:
    +789 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering if our promising youngster Mason might be getting a run in the first team soon.

By all acounts he has done really well at Yeovil Town so i thought it was a little strange he is being recalled before the end of the season. Maybe Harry has plans for him.

Tottenhamhotspur.com - News Articles - Mason recalled
  2. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0

He is an attacking midfielder right? I just don't see room for a young attacking midfielder at the moment in the first team. I would guess that they weren't happy with his development there, and wanted to just bring him back in house.
  3. Enfield_spurs Well-Known Member

Enfield_spurs
    Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
    From our youth program always thought this guy was the pick of the bunch, a true future goal scoring midfielder, if i remember correctly his record in our youth team was fantastic, 28 goals in 30 games or something? however i have not followed his progress at yeovil so im not sure how many of those 28 appearences were starts, none the less 6 goals isnt bad from a midfield player so lets hope he develops into a real premier league force in a few seasons time.
  4. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,952 / 68 / -0
    A fair proportion have been starts.

However, a large proportion of his goals in our youth team came by playing him more as a support striker, just off of Obika. Yeovil have played him much more in a more conventional 442, but still as the CM with a bit more creative license to get forward and support attacks. He scored a 35 yard screamer whilst at Yeovil, as well as a couple long-range free-kicks which, altho demonstrating his deeper position, still proves he knows how to find the net!

I don't think he is yet ready for our 1st team. Yeovil's website say he has returned to "continue the next stage of his development". I reckon we might see him get loaned out to the Championship for the final few months of the season.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. THFC6061 Well-Known Member

THFC6061
    Ratings:
    +2,407 / 0 / -0
    Dare I say that the player Mason most reminds me of is a young Glenn Hoddle?

The lad has fantastic technique and natural ability, but needs to fill-out his frame a bit before he's subjected to the rigours of the Premier League.

Certainly one for the future.
  6. BigDub Leg end !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +5,657 / 45 / -0
    Agree, bass. I don't know if this was to add him to Spurs side or to send him elsewhere when possible. Certainly a player with a bright future, though.
  7. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    Another youngster out, have heard brilliant things about this kid hope he does well. Sore for a short post but saw this on sky while on my phone at work
  8. gary_human Well-Known Member

gary_human
    Ratings:
    +263 / 3 / -0
    I got big hopes for this lad, he looks real good on the ball, reminded me a bit of glen hoddle when i seen him, hope he does well here, i have heard doncaster like to get the ball down and play football.
  9. Gareth Well-Known Member

Gareth
    Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    He done very well at Yeovil Town, hopefully has a future with Spurs... 28 appearances with 6 goals, not bad from midfield!
  10. 1990Hotspur New Member

1990Hotspur
    Ratings:
    +241 / 0 / -0

He won't find a better team to help him develop. Doncaster play some really lovely football, very fluent, which is even more surprising seeing as though they are competing against some real cloggers in that league....
  11. Strikeb4ck New Member

Strikeb4ck
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I don't get the point of a one month loan. It takes like two weeks to get to know and somewhat gel with your team, then you have two games assuming you actually play.
  12. 1990Hotspur New Member

1990Hotspur
    Ratings:
    +241 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure how old Mason is, but if your under 18, your parent club has the option to re-call you after the first month. Parrett is on the same thing at Plymouth. i think both, if all goes well with us, will stay at these clubs for the whole season...
  13. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +1,018 / 7 / -0
    usually they will only loan for a month to see if the player fits in so they're not stuck with a player on loan that they wont play... so if he does well they'll extend his loan
  14. THFC91 New Member

THFC91
    Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    I thought there was a general loan players thread but I couldn't find it so had to make a separate one, sorry.

Link: Mason makes Rovers return - News Articles - Tottenhamhotspur.com

Ryan Mason has joined Doncaster Rovers on loan for the rest of the season.

The attacking midfielder spent time on loan at the Keepmoat Stadium earlier in the campaign, making five appearances for the Championship club before returning to the Club due to injury.

Ryan, who scored six times in 29 appearances on loan at Yeovil Town last season, will now return to link up with Sean O'Driscoll's side after opening the scoring in our Spurs XI's 9-2 friendly win over QPR earlier this week.

Ive heard he is a good talent so I hope another loan spell can work out for him and I hope to see him in a Spurs shirt sometime in the future.
  15. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    the thread is yids out on loan and it looks like someone posted this news already.
  16. THFC6061 Well-Known Member

THFC6061
    Ratings:
    +2,407 / 0 / -0
    Ryan Mason has signed a contract extension with the Club until 2013 and joined Championship side Doncaster Rovers on a season-long loan.

The young attacking midfielder made 15 appearance during two spells at the Keepmoat Stadium last season, having previously spent the 2009/10 campaign on loan with Yeovil Town.
  17. gary_human Well-Known Member

gary_human
    Ratings:
    +263 / 3 / -0
    whenever i have seen mason he looks class, i hope he does well at doncaster and eventually becomes a legend at spurs, he could take the mantle form modric if he ever eventually leaves.
  18. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    Spurs midfielder: AVB has reinvigorated me after Harry Redknapp snub

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tottenham midfielder Ryan Mason has hit out at former manager Harry Redknapp for not giving him any chances in the Spurs first team.

The 21-year-old featured against Lazio in the Europa League last week and is expected to face Carlisle in the Capital One Cup tonight.
    Mason found first-team opportunities limited under Redknapp and endured an ill-feted loan spell at Millwall last season, making only six appearances due to injury.

“The way Villas-Boas does things is a lot different to Redknapp,” he said.
    “I’ve been training with the first team for the last few weeks and that wasn’t the case under Redknapp.
    “I was out on loan a lot and when I was back I didn’t get a chance to show what I can do.
    “It was a bit disappointing because I was a senior member of the development squad and I wasn’t getting a chance.
    “Hopefully things will change and I will get an opportunity to show what I can do. I’m confident I will do well.”

In defense of ol'Arry, Mason has been injured off an on for the last 2 years so its been difficult for him to be "involved" with the first team. He's been one of the better players for our academy side but always seemed to get injured while out on loan. A lot of people who follow the academy are glad to see he's fit because from what they've seen at games he could really push on now that he's being involved with the team.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  19. StripiestPilot Well-Known Member

StripiestPilot
    Ratings:
    +5,042 / 77 / -0
    TBH pretty much every player we sold, with the exception of VDV and Modric, has said the same things about Harry being an obstinate old codger who didn't speak to you if you weren't in the first XI.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    Also....and this is something I hated seeing under Harry.

Why would you have 2 keepers on your subs bench when there were players like Mason (using him as an example) that could have easily come up from the development squad, been on the bench and gotten some good 1st hand experience on a match day.

Kudos to AVB for having some faith in our youth players who havent gotten a sniff since the Ramos days.
  21. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    Windy ‏@WindyCOYS He's a classic number 10 who can also play deeper and wide. If he can put his injury problems behind him he has a big, big future.

Windy raaavvveeeeessss about him.
  22. Jemdt Well-Known Member

Jemdt
    Ratings:
    +454 / 3 / -0
    How's he doing at Lorient?
  23. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    hasnt yet played.....(i think).
  24. StripiestPilot Well-Known Member

StripiestPilot
    Ratings:
    +5,042 / 77 / -0
    I'm surprised so little has been said about him. I think he's been extremely good this pre-season and looks like he could have a role in the first team under Pochettino. Very impressive passing in the 3 games so far and a good reading of the game. He looked a lot more assured than Tom Carroll.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  25. KING-11 Active Member

KING-11
    Ratings:
    +192 / 33 / -0
    Maybe he fits Pochettino's system and going to be in our first 11.
    Just like Bentaleb was in Sherwood's.

Mason is very talented, but has had several injuries.
    Would like to see him in EPL
  26. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,182 / 31 / -0
    Players that aren't fast or physically imposing should be given much longer to establish themselves in my opinion. People say Lallana has only had one good season, but his ability was always there. I remember way back when Oxlade Chamberlin was being linked to all the top clubs, the Saints fans were saying Lallana was the more talented footballer, even though he had achieved less and was quite a bit older.

If you game is about brains and technical ability, then it can take years to develop, as you have to work so hard to start seeing things more quickly and improving the speed and accuracy of your distribution etc. It's the total opposite of players like Lennon, Babel and Lukaku. If you aren't a technical and intelligent players, then once you know how to use your physical attributes, which is usually at a young age, then there isn't usually a great deal more to come.

Mason might already be 23, but he's shown he has vision and can pass the ball. If he was to leave he'd only go to a League 1 club, so what is the harm in matching the wages he'd get there and loaning him out for a couple more years. I'd be happy to give the likes of Mason and Carrol until they are 25 to prove themselves. Whilst I'd have let Obika go years ago.
  27. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,952 / 68 / -0
    He's been very impressive on this tour & stood out in our midfield against Chicago. There was a lot of hype around Mason when he was a kid, particularly after his 1st loan to Yeovil where he looked real star quality but he seemed to stall a little just as hew looked capable of breaking into our 1stXI.

He's a local lad, 100% Spurs born 'n' raised, & I've always wanted him to succeed. Finally he's looking as though he could make his mark, but when he was scoring goals for fun alongside Jon Obika in our U18's I never saw him as a deeper CM!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. PhillySpurs Active Member

PhillySpurs
    US (From Philly area live in Martinsburg, WV)
    Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -0
    I like him, and think that he should find some playing time off the bench, in Europe, and cup matches.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  29. Lucian Active Member

Lucian
    Ratings:
    +325 / 8 / -0
    He's very similar to T.Caroll. Both weak defensively, not eager to move with ball, good ranged passing. I like Tom's field vision more. It was said already, but Mason looks more assured because playing with Capoue. But yeah, looking forward to see more of Ryan.
  30. RaleighSpur Well-Known Member

RaleighSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,299 / 37 / -0
    Mason was very, very good defensively against Chicago.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3