Ryan Sessegnon

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by spursman18, Aug 20, 2017.

1. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    £50m? No, thank you.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    He"s just scored against Wolves, cant see this boy playing a defensive position though.
  3. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I have only seen him in highlight videos, but he seems pretty technical to me in those. And they're some chock full videos too. He's pretty much two footed, which is something Pochettino seems to especially like. I do get your point about fast developers topping out quickly. And it's a bunch of money, I get that. True he may not be the best value around. But he may be a solid bet. And I'm not ready to say he can't get a whole lot better.
  4. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    If you take a look at his game from mid week you'll see what I'm getting at. No matter how positive people try and be about him, there is just no way we are dealing with a major technical talent here. He's no Jadon Sancho or Marcus Edwards. There is just nothing special about him when he's on the ball. But what he certainly does have, is that natural instinct to be in the right place at the right time, much like Dele Ali. So many of his goals are as a result of intelligent running off the ball so he arrives in the box at the right moment. Just like in the clip below and for his goal today.

I'd be happy to take a punt on him at a decent price as he's clearly got the X factor in front of goal. Ali showed the same in League 1. The difference is they want insane money for Sessegnon, as if he's already proved himself in the Prem. Liverpool paid £40 million for Salah and apparently Fulham want more than that! For that sort of money, if we are buying a teenager, he needs to have magic in his boots, like a young Hazard.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. MichiganStateSpur18 Active Member

MichiganStateSpur18
    Ratings:
    +179 / 4 / -0
    I think around 40 would be fair. If Fulham makes it up, it will be closer to 55 or Fulham will just keep him.
  6. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    He's never played a single game in the top tier!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MichiganStateSpur18 Active Member

MichiganStateSpur18
    Ratings:
    +179 / 4 / -0
    Sign him and loan him to fooking Brighton then if you're so worried.
  8. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,538 / 16 / -0
    I've seen a bit more of him of late & it's kind of changed my opinion of him & it may be harsh.
    Yes, he's scored some goals in the Championship which has created quite a bit of hype.

But from what I've seen, he hasn't shown any exceptional skill. Many times he simply puts his head down & runs. Quite often into trouble. He's been quite clumsy & indecisive on the ball before oftentimes losing it. He hasn't got the ability to get himself out of those blind alleys he tends to get himself into.
    Yes he's only 17 but I really don't think he's worth anywhere near those kind of numbers.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    He has been winning these player of the month awards. Has anyone been saying he didn't deserve them? But I defer to those who can actually watch his games. It's hard to have a solid opinion without that.
  10. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,538 / 16 / -0
    As I said, he's only 17 years old & he's playing at the 2nd highest tier of English Football. That's quite an accomplishment.

But I don't know who is voting for him. All I can say is watch him. At this time, much of his decision making is poor & there is nothing exceptional about him. He simply looks like an enthusiastic youth wanting to play but he is extremely raw.

I'm not saying that his flaws can't be rectified. I just don't think he's as good as some are saying & definitely not worth those numbers bandied about.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Surely him being 17 and doing this is enough. We've bought the likes of Bale and Alli from lower leagues for showing a lot less
  12. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,538 / 16 / -0
    But for 50M?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Different world for fees today. We just paid over 40m for Sanchez. Why not 10m more for Sess, a player 4 years younger.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    Because he doesn’t have the pedigree that Sanchez does
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    What pedigree was that? One season in the dutch league at 3 years later in his career? Give me a break.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0

Sanchez had won the Copa Libertadores. He'd just been a runner up in the Europa League. He was Ajax POTY. He was already a full international. He'd played and proven himself on the big stage. Sessegnon hasn't played in a single top flight game. He hasn't even played for England U21's. You've got to show more than that for £50 million. He should be valued quite a bit less than Sanchez.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. PhildoVT Active Member

PhildoVT
    Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -0
    It's not just the resume that made Sanchez such a big prospect. It only takes one look at the guy to see that he has that rare mix of strength, speed, and athleticism that could eventually make him one of the world's best. He's not a sure thing of course, but he's much more likely to succeed at the highest level than someone like Sessegnon.
  18. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Sess could easily be Fulhams player of the year and 2x championship team of the year and championship player of the year by the summer at just 18. Being homegrown is going to add to his value aswell
  19. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    So we should pay a fee suitable for a player with that kind of CV, which is nowhere near £50 million.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Who else has a CV like it?
    • Like Like x 1
  21. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -0
    Not for such a big fee though
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    He is mustard and if you want to correlate the fee....11 years ago we paid 10 million for Gareth Bale. Now, Sessegnon isnt Bale at the same age per say, however he is having a lot of success in a similar way as Gareth did. 10 million back then would be that 50 million in today's market.

He's worth at least 30 million, Fulham are right to price him at what they want because of how many clubs are interested. They'll get what they want for him, and hopefully its us to puts up the cash
  23. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    Not blaming them for asking for that money. The market is unfortunately ludicrous with the amount of money thrown about. This would certainly be a statement of intent though.

Regardless of who buys him, hope he does well. Not a fan of rooting for someone to fail, especially a 17 year old.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. pzabby Well-Known Member

pzabby
    Ratings:
    +536 / 10 / -0
    Let's just hope he doesn't get signed by city/chelsea only to rot on the bench is all. Would be a shame to see that happen to a young english talent.

edit: obviously not an issue with arsenal, because he would slot right into the starting 11, being their best player and all
    • Like Like x 2
  25. PhildoVT Active Member

PhildoVT
    Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -0
    Tom Ince was similarly hyped back when he played for Blackpool. He scored 18 and assisted 14 in the 2012-13 season, got hyped up as a future superstar, and then failed to ever make a serious mark in the premier league. I'm not saying Sessegnon will necessarily do the same, but it's always a risk when players make the step up.

If Fulham get promoted and he has a decent year in the PL, £50 million would be a reasonable fee for him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    There is quite the gap between a 16/17 year old doing this and someone who is 20/21. Must also remember Sess has had at least half of his games from LB, he wouldn't be getting bought purely for his attacking numbers.
  27. PhildoVT Active Member

PhildoVT
    Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -0
    Perhaps. He certainly looks like he's going to be an excellent player, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still something of a gamble. If we're going to be taking gambles on 17 year olds, then my only hope is that it's not at the expense of being able to afford to re-sign our top players.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    No. It is not.

Yes, market is crazy but at times it seems that people make it out to be WAY more crazier than it is.

In 2007 we got Bale for 7M £
    At the same summer in EPL there were at least 24 more expensive than that.

People suggest that Sessengon might be worth 55 mil €
    In 2017 summer there were 6 players more expensive than that.
    Players who were cheaper include Kyle Walker (best RB in the league in eyes of many); Laccazette (full French international, one of the best strikers of Ligue 1 who is playing sh*t only because the whole of his "squad" is rotten); Matic (fresh EPL winner who was starter during title winning season); Sigurdsson (player having A LOT of top flight experience who basically single handedly kept up Swansea in previous season).

I mean people who suggest that it is reasonable money only focus on the potential upside. Sure, it COULD be worth it. But at the same time players who were absolutely AMONG THE BEST in their positions (Walker, Matic, Sigurdsson) in the league moved for less. You know, players who already are there, finished articles, proven players. Sessegnon could become this as well, there is a chance. But there is always a chance that he will be next Bentley. But we are still willing to pay more than some of the best players in their positions in EPL?

To put it other way - to compensate this huge risk, we should most likely expect him to become one of the best players in the world. Do any of us here would assume he will become one of the best players in the whole world? I know I dont.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  29. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -0
    We need to buy him at a sensible figure with add on's agreed payable to Fulham once he reaches different heights to his full potential!
    Game time etc.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  30. Hazza Well-Known Member

Hazza
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 20 / -0
    I agree with the idea totally, but I do think we may well come unstuck if a couple of other big teams come in and are willing to pay the full asking price.