Ryan Sessegnon

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by spursman18, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    I'm sure his game will never develop being at the ripe old age of 17
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    Yet playing regularly might be more important to him at this stage in his career

If he has another good season like this year his market value will sky rocket
  3. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Me either.
  4. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    A players technique should be down by 17. Wenger says if it's not there by 14 it will never happen. You can only go so far with limited technical ability, so age isn't really relevant here. It's like watching a 17 year old Rodwell, Lukaku and Micah Richards etc. They were all good enough to play senior football at a high level at a young age, but none of them were dribbling round players, playing clever through balls, elegant chips, curling the ball with the outside of their foot or scoring absolute screamers. So no matter how impressive they were to playing at such a high level at such a young age, they simply didn't have the scope to improve that much as they were already sufficiently physically developed.

On the other side of the coin you've got the likes of Eriksen or Modric, who were always going to improve massively from the age of 17-25, as they were going to physically mature, yet already had wonderful technical ability. Gareth Bale was already firing in great free kicks when he was 16. His wand of a left foot was there. He just needed to get stronger to cope better with senior football at the highest level.

It's hard to say if they will make it, but the likes of Jadon Sancho, Foden and Edwards are on a totally different level to Sessegnon in terms of what their ceiling is. They are simply way more gifted players. They could all fail to physically develop, unlike Sessegnon who already has. Sessegnon is a much safer bet for having a very good Prem career, but unlike the other 3, he doesn't have the potential to be a star attacking player at a top 4 club. Another way of looking at it, is Onomah has the potential to be quality CM, but he's just not talented enough to be an attacking midfielder.

Sessegnon can be a top 4 LB perhaps, but as an attacking player he's just not good enough. He doesn't have that vision and technique of the likes of Silva, De Bruyne and Eriksen. He doesn't have the blistering acceleration of Mane and Salah. He doesn't strike the ball like Bale or dribble like Hazard. He's got a very good all round game and a real sense for making the right runs, but without the attributes that give you the X factor, you can't really expect to make it at the very highest level (ie top 4 or even 6 of the Prem.)

To put it in perspective, this is what Eden Hazard was like as kid:

I'm not saying he hasn't greatly improved, but the point is you can see the magic is there.

By contrast, here is Lukaka in his best ever Prem season, when he was just 19 at WBA:

At 19 he was scoring 17 goals in just 2006 mins of Prem football . You could be forgiven for thinking that 5 years later, he'd be dominating the Prem, yet the truth is he's scored 16 goals in 2819 mins. But it shouldn't be a shock, as the young Lukaku was using his physical attributes incredibly well and clearly was never going to be an Aguero or Berbatov. There just wasn't much scope for him to get much better.

Sessegnon isn't some young magician. He plays very maturely both physically and mentally. But he's not going to suddenly over the next 5 years to start scoring screamers like Bale. It's just not in his game.
  5. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    You talk a lot of fluff. You contradicted your own point by mentioning Lukaku who is an attacking player on a top club right now.
  6. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    I'm pretty sure you will remember how Lukaku was spoken about when he was 17. I didn't say he was starting from the same place as Sessegnon, but that his trajectory will be similar. Lukaku was a Belgium international at 16. He was going to go on a be the best in the world, but it didn't happen, because he didn't have the game to develop to that level. Sessegnon is being spoken about like he's some wonder kid that is worth £50 million, when he's just not that good.

Regardless of the "fluff" I talk, at the end of the day we are talking about this guy:

7. Hazza Well-Known Member

Hazza
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 20 / -0
    We need Cardiff to pull their fingers out. They are looking worse than us for handling pressure.
  8. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    I'm not a big fan of those highlight reel videos - the chronic music, the fact they don't give a balanced or comprehensive look at the players genuine attributes, for example. That Sessegnon video above has to be one of the weakest I've seen, though. I just watched the first two minutes and it had nothing that would make you sit up and take notice, it was all simple passes, unspectacular turns against defenders who weren't really challenging and crosses that didn't hit their targets. That's perhaps more an indictment on whoever compiled the clips, mind you.
  9. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    It's because he's over rated, largely by people who judge him on his age and the number of goals he scored, rather than actually watch him play. I watched him again, live on Sky, last night and he whilst it's clear he's a talented young man and will have a good career, he's certainly no wonder kid. People aren't hiding all the moments of outstanding quality he produces from youtube. There aren't any on youtube, as he hasn't produced any. We aren't dealing with the next Gareth Bale here, but for some reason the media and fans at large seem to think we are and that he's worth £50 million. He's got some great qualities and would be a good signing for us at the right price, but we aren't talking about the next great hope for English football. I think he has the potential to maybe be a Dele Ali or even an Ashley Cole, depending if you play him as an attacker or defender. Both top players, but you wouldn't pay £50 million for players from the second tier who have the "potential" to be that good. You pay £50 million for players with the potential to be the next Bale. Even the Dele Ali comparison is very generous, as though he's shown the same preternatural instinct for making the right runs, he's never shown anything to suggest he can compliment that with the incredible technique Ali used to score against Chelsea the other day.
  10. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    Here is another full match highlights video of him that was only posted yesterday. It shows he's got very good athleticism, uses the ball well, makes himself available and makes intelligent runs. But you'll also notice the complete absence of any "brilliance". Its the same a with all his matches, as he simply isn't a brilliant. There are lots of full game highlight videos of him, but you aren't going to find one that makes you think he's the next big thing. It's when you go to stats sites and see he's only 17 and has scored 15 goals that makes people think he's something special.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,538 / 16 / -0
    I really hope this kid is actually much better than I rate him as there is more print / press / talk about him joining us.
  12. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -0
    I totally agree almost non existent last night!
  13. Tott_BeBop The poster formerly knows as T.K. Massive

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -0
    Really? From a team that produced Harry Kane almost out of no where, I'm disappointed in everyone. He's got a good foundation, if he has the right mentor and team mates then I reckon he'll be a hell of a player in a few years time.

We have a good youth academy with a coach that is known for producing and promoting youth players. Let him come to Spurs and be an understudy to Son or Davies, or loan him out for a season to another premier league team like Bournemouth to get used to the league and build some muscle.
  14. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Pantomines are at xmas arent they |?
  15. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    Ryan Sessegnon will lead Fulham into Premier League, says owner Shahid Khan | Football News | Sky Sports

16. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    I think the chances of him coming to Spurs are very very slim. There are much more likely candidates out there, unfortunately. He would be exactly the type of LWB we could use.