Scotland 2026?

Discussion in 'International' started by basskadet, Dec 3, 2010.

1. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,062 / 38 / -0
    We're all gutted that England did not get the 2018 World Cup & we've been told that we cannot go for another until AFTER 2030!

So, what about Scotland for 2026 then? Scotland have never hosted it, the SPL could do with a lift so there would be a legacy card to play AND they have the passion for the game & we'd all get up there easily from England & Wales.

Just a thought
  2. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    I've been hearing that China is going to make a strong push for 2026. Knowing how corrupt FIFA is and is becoming everyday China would be perfect for them. Also, i'm seeing a lot of buzz for Uruguay 2030. The 100 year Aniversery of the World Cup. I know Uruguay is a rather small country but I wouldn't be completely against this. Maybe they can share the matches with surrounding countries simliar to Korea, I think Argentina is already on board.
  3. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,650 / 13 / -0
    It will go anywhere that they don't play football .

They need the new markets apparantely
  4. ItsBoris New Member

ItsBoris
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'd like it if England and Scotland could joint host the 100 year anniversary world cup, in 2030 I think.

Considering that these two countries started the game and all.

Oh right...new markets and uh...bringing cultures together? And erm...mending the world's divides and conflicts through football. Forgot about that. :07:
  5. funkfish groany fooker lol

funkfish
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 0 / -0
    and do ya think the jocks wouldnt wind us up much lol
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 33 / -0
    im guessing it would be a joint scotish irish bid,they talked about a joint bid for the euros a couple of years back
  7. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,284 / 5 / -0
    China has 2026 in the bag. 2030 is the next open slot and who knows what will happen then since all the big hitters will bid.
  8. SpurusOn Active Member

SpurusOn
    Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    First of all the reason we can't host it to 2030 is that the World Cup cannot be played on the same continent if that continent has held one of the last two World Cups. Therefore no European country can hold the World Cup until 2030. Russia qualifies as being on the European continent.

Anyway it won't happen because Scotland would be too small. It would need to be a joint bid. Really I think the entire UK should submit a bid.
  9. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,650 / 13 / -0
    Why ? I didn't see a vote .
  10. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,284 / 5 / -0
    Opening up China to FIFA would be huge money for FIFA, not a great WC, but mega mega bucks. If FIFA was looking at hosting the best WC possible, then Russia and Qatar wouldn't have been in the running.

Snarky remark that isn't meant to be snarky: does the vote even matter?
  11. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,650 / 13 / -0
    I understand what you are saying , but it does circumvent the process somewhat ...
  12. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,284 / 5 / -0
    Yup, FIFA seems to embrace corruption. The best chance for a good 2026 WC location would be a unified call for reform of the exec committee after the farcical selection for the 2018/2022 locations. I'd be shocked if anything but cosmetic changes to the system happen. Instead, Sepp will start the sh*tstorm that is goal line tech if the calls for changes in the voting system get too loud.
  13. Seajay Well-Known Member

Seajay
    Ratings:
    +1,015 / 0 / -0
    There's still one continent that hasn't hosted it! Perhaps Antarctica for 2026 is a realistic possibility. A new frontier for football and, if the temperature won't be a problem in Qatar, why should it be in Antarctica????
  14. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    i'm not sure China would get given it by Fifa. Considering they have to give visas to everyone regardless i could see that getting exploited by protestors and legal loopholes for some tibet protestors banned from the country or something, so they might not even want that. China's an even stranger country than Russia and Qatar and that could be a step too far even for Fifa.
  15. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    When you think about it..... It makes all the sense in the world...:y2:
  16. Eighteen82 New Member

Eighteen82
    Ratings:
    +962 / 0 / -0
    With the Olympics proving to be a success there, I wouldn't be shocked if they got the World Cup.

Scotland are European so can't host till 2030, due to the 12 year rule.
  17. woody New Member

woody
    Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    hahahahahahahahaha

scotland? you need at least 10 stadiums capable of holding at least 30,000 people each

there are 3 stadiums in scotland i would consider good enough - parkhead, ibrox and hampden park, apart from that every other stadium isn't good enough

if the funding was there then yes i think fifa would give scotland time to build top quality stadiums and it would be a lot more reliable than brazil, russia and qatar, but there is no way in this current financial climate that the government will fund 7 £300M+ projects

everything else would be OK, transport, hotels etc

but i don't see how you would get the vote anyways, FIFA wouldn't give a sh1t about the effort put into it, it shows with the 2018/22 saga, it would be sold to the highest bidder

it would be interesting to see what grounds would be redeveloped/demolished and rebuilt, i'd say:

pittodrie (aberdeen)
    fir park (motherwell)
    tynecastle (hearts)
    easter road (hibernian)
    rugby park (kilmarnock)
    love street (st mirren)
    tannadice (dundee united)