Sebastien Bassong

Discussion in 'Player Chat' started by US_Spurs_Fan, Sep 21, 2009.

1. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 4
  2. TAFFSPUR New Member

TAFFSPUR
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Well thank christ for that,i thought he'd put his shoulder out when i saw him hit the deck.
  3. SirBillyNick New Member

SirBillyNick
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    he absolutely slammed the pitch with the side of his head, I would guess he was a tad dazed ;)
  4. Tasandry New Member

Tasandry
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks god! Im sick of hearing defenders' injuries this season. And what about King?
  5. SirBillyNick New Member

SirBillyNick
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    no foreseeable return date yet, did his hammy
  6. DarlingtonYid New Member

DarlingtonYid
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    how far are dawson/ woodgate away ?
  7. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SirBillyNick New Member

SirBillyNick
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +6,166 / 16 / -0
    I thought 4 defenders was enough and i was really happy with our defence.

But i was soooooo wrong!!!

We have problems and i hate to say it but its time we get a reliable CB and not upson cos his just as bad as woody & king! Well maybe not but you get my point.....

We need a Strong reliable CB and i hate to say we have to say bye bye to someone! :(
  10. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    Upson isn't injury prone is he?

I'd have him any day of the week.

I'd obviously prefer an invention to create new cartilage so we could fix the best defender in the world, but I don't know if they do em on ebay.

We need to spend big time to try and get anything of the same caliber as Ledders.

I'd love to see Mica Richards at the lane as I see him developing into something of the same ilk as Ledders.
  11. CmonyouSpurs Well-Known Member

CmonyouSpurs
    Ratings:
    +1,647 / 0 / -0
    Richards seemed to be a really good prospect a couple of years ago but he's really lost his way recently. IN fact you can count him to blame for 3 of the goals yesterday - the 2 crosses that came in from his side and the fact that he wasn't marking Owen tightly for the winner.
  12. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +5,249 / 12 / -0
    He's had his share of knocks, but good point, he'd be a fantastic addition.

Another guy we could have pursued even after the window was Lucas Neill, who went to Everton as a free agent on a free transfer. I'm not a big fan of his, I think he's pretty much a lug, but I'm surprised there weren't more teams interested in him.

Glad Seb will be back- he looked like he was in the middle of next week on that stretcher.

head injuries can be ugly- had a few of em myself, maybe that's what's wrong with me...
  13. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +14,573 / 46 / -0
    maybe we could inject some of that stuff in jordans knockers into ledders knee,might work and he would get a semi everytime he rubbed his knee,im guessing he would be well into it:D
  14. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +6,166 / 16 / -0
    Well he got an injury at the weekend and has had a few injuries in the past! But no where near as many as our defenders....

I would rather someone like............. ok upson sounds our best option! FFS theres not to many good defenders out there.
  15. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    There will be many out there but ones tha would want to come to us is another proposition altogether.

We need to keep lookin at English players due to this new FA rule (great thing by the way).

It will however weaken the premier league and the wages and standard of footy will drop considerably.

Not many foreign defenders adapt quickly to the EPL so for me Richards and Upson would be just about perfect.
  16. Pitseleh Well-Known Member

Pitseleh
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    richards has pace, power and is an athlete, but then so is bassong.

great to have him back
  17. TAFFSPUR New Member

TAFFSPUR
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Sooner or later[and i think it's gonna be sooner]we have gotta buy a couple of centre backs.It's getting to the stage now,where we have to get Dawson and Bassong playing together.These two are our future longterm,king and woody,as classy as they are,are not.I'm only surprised we got as many games out of these two as we have,but we all know this can't and won't continue.Woody isn't getting any younger,and we are all waiting for King to breakdown in every game now.In my opinion we should definately pursue Upson and Steve Taylor in the next transfer window.It's a hard fact to swallow i know,but i think Ledley's constant injuries are gonna see him retire soon,you just can't keep flogging a dead horse.Everybody knew that going into the last transfer window we had one fit cb,but instead of sorting this problem out,we ended up with a player for a position we already had cover for.Go figure:504:
  18. CmonyouSpurs Well-Known Member

CmonyouSpurs
    Ratings:
    +1,647 / 0 / -0
    I agree that we should get a couple of more centre backs in, but King and Woody should still be regulars when fit. Their experience in invaluable and we need them to pass it down to the likes of Bassong and Dawson. Without their experience then the young duo could really seem lost and that's not a good thing.
  19. TAFFSPUR New Member

TAFFSPUR
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    :504: Yeah but thats my point mate,they are highly unlikely to be fit at the same time and play together.It's more likely to be Woody and either Dawson or Bassong.We have got to snap up two preferably english cb's sharpish,to fill the places left by the almost inevitable future absences of woody and king.We can't keep chopping and changing the pairing every week,it's vital imo that we get some much needed continuity at the heart of our defence.Mark my words,if we don't it's gonna cost us dearly in the future.
  20. 1990Hotspur New Member

1990Hotspur
    Ratings:
    +241 / 0 / -0
    King just before the Chelsea game came out and said something like....."i will be playing beyond 2012"....i don't see it to be honest. Didn't King get a knock against Birmingham also, where he was able to come back very quickly afterward?

Its such a shame, after Campbell left, King came in as a natural successor, we don't seem to have anyone coming through at the moment.......guess the "lightning doesn't strike twice" proverb really is true......
  21. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,850 / 60 / -0
    But it did strike twice for us already, Judas & then King. We need it to strike a 3rd time! In fact, you could argue we need it to strike a 4th or even 5th time as Campbell effectively took over from Mabbutt, who took over from Miller/Roberts.

Tbh, Its time for Daws to step up & I have every confidence in him. He was immense under Harry last season. I've heard people saying how last season we had no Defoe, Keane, Bassong, Crouch, Kranjcar, Palacios against Manchester United whilst they had both Tevez and Ronaldo & we got a point whilst they won 3-1 this time. Well, last season we did have Daws & he was perhaps, alongside Gomes (who was also missing this time), the biggest reason why United did not score that day.

We cannot keep using the excuse that Daws is a young CB anymore as he is 25 now & just about to come into his prime. If he can come back from injury now then this really could be the season he stamps himself on our 1st team, especially alongside Bassong.

Bassong & King is a good partnership but only because King is such a good player. In terms of attributes, they are actually too similar & Dawson (or Woody) would much better compliment Bassong. Ledley & Bassong are both quick, powerful, tall left-sided CBs whereas Woody & Daws both fill that right-sided CB role with a 'never say die' attitude.

Throughout Dawson's Spurs career he's always been our young CB. Next to King or Woody he has always had to look up to them & follow their lead to an extent. However, next to Bassong he can truly adopt that role alongside a player who should perfectly compliment his own attributes.

We could certainly do with some of his 'take no prisoners' approach to the heart of our defence, especially when otherwise we are relying on Charlie. Northing against Charlie, technically he is excellent, but you need much more than just technique as a central defender.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  22. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    No he aint!!!!!!!!!!!!

His knee is fooked now!!!

What a spurs shaped bag of old bollox!!!
  23. SirBillyNick New Member

SirBillyNick
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    source P UNIT?
  24. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0

Harry mentioned it on SSN... but didn't really provide any details.
  25. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
  26. steelktm New Member

steelktm
    Ratings:
    +673 / 0 / -0
    thread already opened on this. however the good news is that atleast daws and woody are not healthy so timing is a little better eh?
  27. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    Football pishes me off sooooooooooo much.

Every tine we think we are heading in the right direction father fate slips us a swif kick in the bollox to make it come crashing back down again.

Karma has a fookin lot of payback to do some time.
  28. berby999 MODERATOR

berby999
    Ratings:
    +789 / 0 / -0
    Nasty injury and we will miss him for 5 weeks.

Hopefully Woodgate will be back and fit next weekend and we can get King and Dawson playing.
  29. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    Its starting to look like the injury bug might be our down fall this year

Modric, Woodgate, King, Dawson, Bassong, Lennon, Jenas and Dos Santos have all already missed time... I really hope we are just getting these out of the way early.
  30. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +5,249 / 12 / -0
    yeah really, wtf do we have to do to catch a break?

when I look at our results so far/position in the table and then think about all the injury setbacks we've had, it's really amazing.

I'm not making excuses, but if you added up all the guys that were out against the arse this weekend, you'd have the core of a pretty danmed good team.