So how bad is it in the stands at WHL?

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by NewEnglandSpur, Jul 4, 2011.

1. NewEnglandSpur New Member

NewEnglandSpur
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I am planning to trip to WHL in 2012 with my family, but I have two daughters (ages 11 and 13), and I am faced with either trying to get seats in the family section, or other areas which are more colorful. I REALLY want to sit in the areas where I get the true experience but not if it is too over the top for the rest of my family. I am not a prude, but I am not interested in explaining the meaning of various terms to explain the human anatomy in the course of a game. If it is not bad, then I have nothing to fear.

What do you think?
  2. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    I have been to a few games and found that the east stand is the best atmosphere and whole experience. You say you want the true experience and to get this the east stand is the best way imo.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,661 / 12 / -1
    As long as you avoid south upper and lower on the blocks nearest the west stand and the east stand where it meets the south you will be fine.

Also if you attend games like Swansea, villa etc there is less to worry about in comparison to Le arse, manure, Chavs, dippers and the UAE city.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    depends what you're willing to tolerate mate. I dont think you'd go a game in the park lane or shelf side without hearing words like c*nt, f*ck, wan*er etc. It might be better in a lesser game but the risk is with that is we start losing and then the language will start to get colourful.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. boo Staff Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +5,810 / 15 / -0
    [MENTION=6646]Fatboyyid[/MENTION] looking forward to standing next to you at the lane one day mate... one day
    boo,
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tottenhamtut New Member

tottenhamtut
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My dad took me to Spurs Arsenal on a monday night in 2000 (I was 9) and at half time I asked him to explain what a paedophile was to me. To this day he still finds it funny. You could call it "bad parenting" (I wouldn't as I loved it), but it's only a matter of time before young people find these words anyway - usually first year of secondary school!
  7. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,455 / 0 / -0
    If you want to avoid the commoners, West Stand upper - pricey - but least you don't need to explain the human anatomy.

Never been to the North stand but that's where the family section sits.
  8. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,649 / 13 / -0
    You will hear swearing everywhere , but it is a very safe stadium wherever you sit .
  9. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 32 / -0
    go to the west stand,you wont hear a fooking sound in there apart6 from plums talking about cricket ffs lol
  10. NewEnglandSpur New Member

NewEnglandSpur
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    How about in the East stands?

Believe it or not, I'm actually ok with the last two example you gave. The difference is that I get the sense that the c word is used more freely in the UK. In the States, it is like the nuclear bomb of curses... Tough one for teen girls, you know...
  11. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    Yes the East is the best for atmosphere but you will still be hearing swear words. Happens in every section of the ground.
  12. corroded Well-Known Member

corroded
    Ratings:
    +595 / 0 / -0
    It's still the nuke here, it's the most offensive swear word we have left and it's slowly being overused into being common place.

I went to the North Stand when I was about twelve and I didn't catch any colourful language really... not that I hadn't heard anyway.
  13. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    hmm im not sure it's considered as bad over here as they consider it in America. I think some people would say to a mate you're a daft c*nt or something like that and we wouldnt really bat an eyelid- in america i get the feeling this wouldnt happen. In the park lane end you would hear it and also some of the shelf side i reckon as well unless you're lucky.
  14. Mike The Yid noone is getting my pot of gold you *******s

Mike The Yid
    Ratings:
    +560 / 0 / -0

LOL, bring them to the game all will be OK, and they will see English people are not really sophisticated suit wearing, bowler hat wearing butlers but we're HOOLIGAAAAAAAAAAAAANS.
  15. S.L.R Well-Known Member

S.L.R
    Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -0
    If you sit in the family stand (Paxton), you will still hear swearing, but not get the atmosphere. I don't think you will avoid swearing anywhere tbh so IMO you should try to get on the Shelf Upper. You get quite a few quieter people sitting there but a lot of louder ones too, which creates probably the kind of mix that would suit you. Avoid Park Lane Lower - as we all stand there anyway and your kids' view will be obstructed.
  16. contrast Welcome back Contrast!

contrast
    Ratings:
    +2,787 / 6 / -0
    My Dad didn't let it fookin bother him the coont when he took me to my first fookin match, and I turned out just fookin fantastic. I wouldn't give a rats twat.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 32 / -0
    i found that out the hard way.my friends and me would use it quite regular,sayin glike this cnut was pissed last night,or that stupid cnut did this etc.i was at a mets game with one o my mates from ireland and his american mate,we were sitting there sinking a few beers as the game was going on ann a player dropped an east catch,of course i say what a dosey cnut and the fella and his girlfriend in front turn around and stare right at me,i think they must be related to the player or something lol,they get up and move to another seat away off to the left.the match contiunes and im saying cnut left right and centre as i get more pissed and my culchie mate is joining in lol,i hadnt noticed the yank who was also pissed wincing abit,well long story short within an hour we were sitting on our own none the wiser till this fooking huge cop comes over and says weve had a complaint,i said sorry i know were being a bit loud and weve had abit to drink but we will keep it down,next thing your man and his girlfriend ar erunning screaming towards us and i whisper to the cop i dont know what this cnuts problem is ha ha,didnt go down well
  18. P UNIT 1980 Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT 1980
    Ratings:
    +10,376 / 38 / -1
    Kids need to learn. Sooner the better imo.

Get stuck in and if someone is giving it the real beans just ask them to cool it.

Even I would try to curb it if you asked.

And I am a potty mouth fooker!!! ;)
  19. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 32 / -0
    you canfooking say that again lol
  20. P UNIT 1980 Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT 1980
    Ratings:
    +10,376 / 38 / -1
    "You just a shit Leionel Messi"

Proud of that one mate!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Mike The Yid noone is getting my pot of gold you *******s

Mike The Yid
    Ratings:
    +560 / 0 / -0

No mention of the night in the cell with big bubba?
  22. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 32 / -0
    no i had to pay extra for that mate lol
  23. LillywhiteDrummer New Member

LillywhiteDrummer
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the last two really are ok. There really aren't many words worse the the c one though, in America at least. I've only ever heard girls call other girls that word, and only when they are extremely ticked off. Like extreme. Its more of a taboo here I guess.

Anyways, it seems like you'll really hear stuff anywhere in the grounds, less in the west stand. It seems like that stuff is more common over there. In America, swearing at football matches is not really accepted. I recently read an article in the paper about the Revs over here. Apparently they don't even tolerate the word a**hole, which, if you ask me, is a very mild swear. I heard it in the halls at my high school all the time. Its really not that bad. But "The Fort" (the small Revs supporter section) got in trouble for saying it, and sometimes they aren't even allowed to bring drums in or have streamers for goals. I feel like football has such a better atmosphere in the rest of the world. And its not really the fans, but the rules and stuff too.
  24. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,191 / 8 / -0
    Pay my way and I'll sit next to you shouting the fookin New Testament.

RE: the C word, it's considered way worse over here. People just don't use it, strange how that works. As for ire's experience, that just about sums up my visit to a mets game too. Believe me, Shea Stadium was a foreign place to just about everybody not from Queens.
  25. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +660 / 1 / -0
    i use c%nt all the time, women dont like it at all though. tough luck for them i guess
    • Like Like x 1
  26. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    haha well said.