Someone please tell me what I am really missing?....

Discussion in 'THFC Bar' started by Javi, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    By not being part of facebook? I keep getting nagged about it and its getting on my nerves! Really what am I missing by not joining up? Do you get money for it? A new car? Does a nice looking girl come to my house and wash my balls? I knew people were addicted to it but damn lol.
    Javi,
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,992 / 13 / -0
    You can be nosey.....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thfcshady27 shady!

thfcshady27
    Ratings:
    +4,041 / 0 / -0
    u aint missing fook all mate......ive never bought into the bollox either and im doin just fine!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SuperSpur Well-Known Member

SuperSpur
    Ratings:
    +426 / 0 / -0
    stick to this forum and you will do just fine :nerd:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. thfcshady27 shady!

thfcshady27
    Ratings:
    +4,041 / 0 / -0
    thats the problem mate lol

i know a chap who went into hospital recently to have surgery for cancer......his sister posted it on facebook that he would be in hospital for a few days, so knowing his house was probably empty they robbed the poor fooker......took the fooking heating oil from his tank!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jonspurs New Member

jonspurs
    Ratings:
    +936 / 0 / -0
    I deleted mine, ended up going back to it after about 2 months though. Couple of my mates have just gone travelling as well and that's the easiest way to keep in contact with them, probably wouldn't have bothered going back otherwise.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SuperSpur Well-Known Member

SuperSpur
    Ratings:
    +426 / 0 / -0
    I use it to keep in touch with old school friends.. other than that it is bollox..
  8. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    That is what I have been doing. I mean I can just imagine if I joined today id have at least 54 friend requests before the day is over, from people and family have are nosy lol.
    Javi,
  9. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,992 / 13 / -0
    some people do put far to much on there tbh, I totally agree.

I mainly use it to advertise my website, its been an amazing tool for my business tbh. Everyone knows someone so it makes it easier to spread the word.

For example.....there was a girl that went missing a few months back, her mum was going out of her mind. She put up missing posters on FB.....withing 2 days someone had spotted her and reported it to police, all because FB. So it can have some advantages!!
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Well there is another reason why I shouldn't join, Ross will stalk me.:p
    Javi,
    • Like Like x 1
  11. thfcshady27 shady!

thfcshady27
    Ratings:
    +4,041 / 0 / -0
    yea totally agree it can have its advantages.....for spreading a message quickly like u mention its great but if that particular message isnt meant to be spread yet people still put there every detail on it.....

for instance i know a guy who found out his gf was pregnant on facebook, cause she posted it up there before she had a chance to tell him lol
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,992 / 13 / -0
    What I don't like is when people put something like......."Just about to have my lunch".....WHO GIVES A FOOKING SHIT!!!
    • Like Like x 5
  13. conor1 Last tango in Belfast Donator

conor1
    Ratings:
    +4,017 / 37 / -0
    Probably the knackers we had a go at in other thread.:y15:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,992 / 13 / -0
    Not me mate....Heroes!!

Oh wait a minute your not famous.... lol
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Audere est Facere New Member

Audere est Facere
    Ratings:
    +1,546 / 0 / -0
    one thing i can say is.

You can easily live without it. Once you are in it its hard to live without it.
    Its hard to delete the facebook account as well after u have lots of friends which u can keep contact with all over the world.
    You may find old school mates from who you havent heard for a long time.
    Family members u can keep on contact with .... where you usually hardly talk to over phone or something.
    You keep tracks with bday etc.

But like I said you can easily live without it but once you are in it its hard to live without it....

So my advice is... Dont make a facebook account.

Its just like World of Warcraft just worse!

(I mostly use fb to post Biceps pictures of me)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,992 / 13 / -0
    Another thing its good for is...

You know when its someone B/day, but you can't be arsed to drop a card round......just send them a little message instead!! lol

Plus you don't have any excuse for missing there B/day as it keeps you up to date with EVERYONES Birth date......touch!! lol
  17. thfcshady27 shady!

thfcshady27
    Ratings:
    +4,041 / 0 / -0
    cant be any fooking worse than this place!!

once ur in here theres no escaping.....believe me ive tried! :117:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. crocop Well-Known Member

crocop
    Ratings:
    +531 / 0 / -0
    you are not missing anything, they are missing your data they can't sell to big companies
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Audere est Facere New Member

Audere est Facere
    Ratings:
    +1,546 / 0 / -0
    The worst thing i saw was when my mate posted a picture of himself when he was about to go to sleep.

He uploaded with his mobile phone and u saw his eyes being closeg and him lying in bed...... and he wrote below that picture..... im about to go to bed.

I posted a comment saying..... your facebook addiction reached the max.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Audere est Facere New Member

Audere est Facere
    Ratings:
    +1,546 / 0 / -0
    Well you could try to get banned :y3:
    But you've done more than enough already to deserve lots of bans and yet you are here...so I guess thats not an option either :D

I guess I should start posting biceps pictures of me here as well !
  21. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Pfft I could just do that here if only we had a status thread:p.
    Javi,
  22. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,468 / 38 / -1
    Javi don't do it.

If the lazy bastards that are bitching at you can't be arsed to send a txt or pick up the blower then fcuk em.

All social media is bullshit!!!

I would say that as a business tool its great but I wouldn't put one iota of my personal details on any of that shit. I get pissy wih the missus coz she is on the cnut. She has been specifically told not to enter any comments about me ever.

The governments use automated bots to scan the entire web and if you make remarks about their county that they don't like they can bar you from entering under terrorism laws. I know his has happened many many times.

Kids. Well these little pricks will find just how thick they have been when they grow up leave school/college/university and they are presented in chronological order all the times they made derogatory comments about individuals/groups/etc. All the times they may have mentioned about being shit faced or blagging a day or two off college because thy can't be arsed, when they attend a job interview. If they got to the interview stage as they'd probably get some admin assistant to do this on the sly and bump them pronto.

It's not worth the hassle IMO unless you use it for marketing your business.

And I don't think people need to know when I am taking a shit and what coulour my fookin under crackers are. I don't suppose they actually give two fcuks.

My kids cataagorically will not be using it.

On a side note I think schools need to do lessons in Internet etiquette. Kids trolling about other dead kids and racially abusing one another. WTF...!!!

Would the little cnuts do that face to face. Would they fcuk.

It needs to be taught with the scenario in mind that you are talking to someone as if you are standing in a room with them. And that there may be over a million+ other people watching and listening to the conversation through a window and that that conversation can be reheard at any point in the future for the rest of your life.

Rant done.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  23. LakewoodSpur Well-Known Member

LakewoodSpur
    Ratings:
    +581 / 2 / -0
    As the old saying goes, "All that glitters (Facebook) is not gold; and not all who wander (non-Facebook users) are lost." Besides, anything that happens that's really important in this world is discussed right here on the Spurs forum.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,228 / 8 / -0
    It's good for keeping up with people you haven't seen in awhile. America's a big country, and people tend to spread out alot, so if you take it with the massive grain of salt it deserves, its OK. My brother's lived abroad in SA and Australia for the last couple of years, and its an easy way to keep in touch. I have never posted a status in four years, though.

Now that I think about it, I think I joined facebook the same day I joined this forum. Productive day that must have been.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +1,458 / 5 / -0
    This.

Social Networking has turned millions into keyboard warriors. Some of the stuff I see on there is just beyond belief. It's like people think "if it's over the internet, it doesn't count".
  26. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    You're missing out on the girl and balls part mate.
  27. jonspurs New Member

jonspurs
    Ratings:
    +936 / 0 / -0
    I only put shit on there that I don't mind people I don't know seeing. I've also got my privacy settings pretty much how I want them.

Tell you one thing that I really hate about it, that 'Places' feature where you can update your location...how fooking weird is that...and why would you want to tell ALL of your friends, and anyone else that can see it (because lets be honest unless you've checked out your privacy settings they probably can) where you are!?
  28. Mandy Well-Known Member

Mandy
    Ratings:
    +285 / 0 / -0
    The biggest issue I see with social media is the people. By that I mean the way that people use these sites and their lack of knowledge in how to use sites securely. There are no issues with the sites themselves if you know how to be safe and sensible on the internet. If accounts are changed to private and only basic information is posted on there then I see no reason why anyone of any age can use it safely.

I think @P UNIT 1980 is right in saying that kids need to be taught internet etiquette and safe browsing, but I'm not sure why this has to be done in schools. I would suggest that its down to the parents to make sure that their kids are using the internet properly, particularly as most kids internet use is at home. Would the little shits that are making vile comments about someone's death do that if a parent was looking over their shoulder?
    I think to say that you won't let your kids use these types of sites is a bit extreme and as online media becomes more and more integrated into our culture wouldn't it make more sense to let them use it while you're supervising them so that you can teach them how to use the internet safely and sensibly? I'd certainly rather teach my kids myself that trust someone else to do so, and I also wouldn't want them to miss out on something that is a big part of the modern world.

Edit: Should just point out that I'm not having a go at anyone here incase it comes across that way, I'm just in the middle of this argument with my sister at the moment over whether she's right in not allowing her children to use social media. My sisters thought a pretty much the same as P UNIT's whereas I think these sites are perfectly fine if kids are taught to use them safely.

There is also the problem creeping in that people rely on Facebook and the likes far too much. I remember ready an article a little while ago about a couple of teenage girls that went out on some rocks at a beach and got trapped on them as the tide came in. Their first thought? Yep, it was post it on Facebook. It wasn't until someone else commented that they should call 999 that they actually managed to do so and get rescued. If the first thought someone has in an emergency is post on the internet rather than call for help, what hope do we have?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Havocc Well-Known Member

Havocc
    Ratings:
    +2,798 / 22 / -3
    If you have lots of hot female friends, you can perve over there holiday photos......other than that, its pointless
    • Like Like x 4
  30. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +785 / 3 / -0
    I have had a Facebook account since 2007, I would just like to say since then it has been brilliant, I have met with a few people i lost contact with back in school, everyone changes numbers etc so without it we may have lost contact.

Facebook are not allowed to sell your details to any other company, but what they do is clever advertising, if you say on your profile your engaged, the adverts that pop up will be things to do with weddings, rings etc... clever if you ask me and no need to sell your details... if you don't want people to know put your profile on private (so only your friends can see) or just don't put it on there all together...

one of the main things i love about it is, i can upload all my holiday photo's and not worry about losing them because they are always online!

it has its ups and downs, but clearly the ups outweigh by far the downs as there are millions over users that create an account everyday... the public doesn't lie...