Sooooo, Steven Pienaar's first day...

Discussion in 'Player Chat' started by weirddave, Jan 22, 2011.

1. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,312 / 2 / -0
    How do you think it went?

I thought he played very well in combination with Van Der Man :)
  2. IAmNotASpud! New Member

IAmNotASpud!
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I agree. He's gonna give Harry a selection headache if he keeps playing like he did today.
  3. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,995 / 13 / -0
    Have to agree Weirddave tbh mate....He wasn't outstanding but very neat and tidy imo. He keeps the ball really well and its such a shame we didnt get to see Bale & Pienaar in the same team.

I expect more from the lad when he's settled in, but he done ok!

He's going to be a very good player for the future.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  4. Iconic Drei I am the Drei of all the Icons

Iconic Drei
    Ratings:
    +1,638 / 0 / -0
    I thought first half, he was pretty good. He was an integral part of some of our play within tight spaces. He performed well, considering it was his debut, with nerves and all.
  5. Jakred69 New Member

Jakred69
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He should have played more central instead of JJ bale wide left (hope he not out to long ). Good buy once he setteled in think he going to be a good addition to the squad.
  6. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,663 / 12 / -1
    I think he did ok for a debut. But today highlighted a major issue at the club.

We have NO cover for BAE. Bale is a left wing player I know he can play there but it is not his best position.

I'm sure Rafa cam play CB if required but nobody would male him do it as it's not his best position.
  7. berby999 MODERATOR

berby999
    Ratings:
    +789 / 0 / -0
    Pretty average to be honest but its only his debut and it was away from home so you cant expect to much.

I like the fact he can pick a good pass out do.
  8. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 0 / -0
    From the MOTD highlights, looks like he had a great debut....
  9. Scarlotti Well-Known Member

Scarlotti
    Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Thought he was poor though no doubt he will take time to settle in!

Don't think he is in the same league as Kranjcar and think that (probably) losing Niko and gaining Pienaar is a poor deal!
  10. melbourne_spur Well-Known Member

melbourne_spur
    Ratings:
    +287 / 0 / -0
    Was an ok debut. Had some good moments and looks to be a good buy at 2.5mil pounds
  11. mattspurz New Member

mattspurz
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Its his first game, he doesnt know how any player plays really. Hes nervous, and doesnt want to make mistakes because it would be such a bad first impression. Kind of like going on a date, you dont wanna be that dum guy you are with your mates, you get what i mean, you want to get a good first impression, but once you get to know that person, your being yourself.......

He will settle in and become a starter IMO. Watching him in his everton days, we have quite a great player in our hands IMO, and being evertons player of the year says alot, getting it above baines, cahill, arteta, fellani ect.....

I would like to see him play LM and bale LB at some point. Remember when Modric played there? and bale was LB, i thought they did BRILLIANT, and we really played great football then. Peinaar modric and VDV all clever players linking up i can just taste it:eek:16:t
  12. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Meh... he did ok but ill see how he develops later but he should earn his first team spot hope Arry does not give him an automatic pass in the starting line up and makes him work for it.
    Javi,
  13. madsin Banned !

madsin
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    think he was used as a showcase and created more problems than pluses.
    it all got a bit cramped in midfield and his passing wasent upto much.
    but he is a good buy if we use him to his strengths.
  14. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 0 / -0
    I wonder what sort of hazing ritual his other team members had to put him through?
  15. Idiot New Member

Idiot
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    It is his first game so it is too soon to tell. He is never going to be in first 11 if everyone is healthy. At 28 years he is not getting any younger and better or faster...
  16. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    I didn't think he had the best of debuts, but it doesn't really worry me...he showed flashes of quality and I think in a less tricky game, or any home game for that matter we will see him at his best.
  17. JacoZA Well-Known Member

JacoZA
    Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    I think he had a pretty good game. The main thing is that his style is SOOO much different to Bale on LW. Where Bale like's to run down the line, Pienaar cuts in a lot more - which worked well a couple of times with him linking up with VDV/Modric - but it's different to how we've been playing all season, which means it might take time for everyone to get used to each other. All in all though, not bad for a debut game. He's a very hardworking player - you could see it in the one or two places where he lost the ball and he made huge runs to try and win it back - which is good.

Hopefully, he'll start settling in now and making an even bigger contribution. Arry might try him in a couple of different roles but at the very least, with Bale's back injury - we've got someone who can play in front of BAE and next to Modric.

And if Bale moves back to LB, with Pienaar on LW and Modric in the middle - we could be looking at one of the most potent 1-2 combinations in the league.