Summer Transfer Rumors 2017

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by USspur, Mar 30, 2017.

1. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,037 / 7 / -0
    Rumors starting about Max Meyer moving on from Schalke, and he is only adding fuel to the fire by admitting there is only a 50/50 chance he signs a new contract / stays there.

Max Meyer opens door to Premier League move by admitting it's "50-50" he leaves Schalke this summer - Mirror Online

2. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,037 / 7 / -0
  3. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,037 / 7 / -0
  4. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,037 / 7 / -0
    Tottenham Transfer News: Pochettino confident of beating Liverpool to Dembele | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

5. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,037 / 7 / -0
    Transfer news: Italian giants join Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham in chase for £21m Sampdoria striker Patrik Schick | talkSPORT

6. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,116 / 29 / -0
    I never believe we have sufficient appeal for the best young German talent at the moment. We were heavily linked to Rode, Weigl, Werne and Can in recent years. But they always seem to prefer other clubs. They prefer to either move to Dortmund, Bayern, big Euro clubs or stay where they are until a bigger name club comes in for them. I just don't think we are seen as a big enough name in Germany. We end up with the Holtby types who Bayern etc have passed on.
  7. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,350 / 41 / -0
    Take your pick , there are various players being linked , I see Dembele of Celtic is back on apparently. I"d be happy with one major signing that should make the difference , someone like Lukaku.
  8. AussieSpur11 Member

AussieSpur11
    Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0
    Going to be linked to every striker this season
  9. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,352 / 20 / -0
    Barklay out of Everton has legs - with Lukaku also stalling on signing it's highly possible both players will seek to move - that would give Koeman 150m to spend .... that might tempt him ....

Barklay is an Everton lad but after signing for four years in 2104 things haven't been all roses .... his management company have stalled on a new contract and will look for a big move ....

It's also possible that Sissoko going the other way might sweeten the deal .... could be a win-win for both clubs ...
  10. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +606 / 20 / -0
    Personally I'm more interested in the technology that allowed him to travel 87 years in to the future to sign that contract than I am in him signing for Spurs...
    • Funny Funny x 3
  11. RaleighSpur Well-Known Member

RaleighSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,286 / 37 / -0
    are you saying that getting sissoko is a win for everton?
  12. Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Zarathustra
    Ratings:
    +4,674 / 61 / -0
  13. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,560 / 28 / -0
  14. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +770 / 18 / -0
    It seems he's on €100,000, approx £84K weekly. That would make Levy take a deep breath.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,365 / 80 / -0
    Same as Sissoko :D
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,116 / 29 / -0
    Am I the only one who doesn't think Costa is that good? I don't mean to say he's not a good player, but is he really worth us buying? Surely if we've learned anything this season via Lamela's absence and Son/Ali's productivity, is that you can be great at so many things, but in the end they all pale into insignificance compared to the ability to score goals. I know it's a simple way of looking at football that renders journalists and analysts work as worthless, but it's true.

Costa is probably super talented, but playing in the Bundesliga for Bayern, he's only ever managed 4 goals in a season. I'm sure he is very creative etc, but is that really going to earn us more points than Son or Ali's ability to score goals? Playing for Bayern last season, he got 8 open play assists. Zaha has 9 open play assists in the Prem playing for Palace! Ultimately, he's playing in a weaker league for a team that scores for fun and when push comes to shove, his numbers, at the business end of things, don't really suggest he'd add much to us and I can't think why we would expect him to get better for us. I know we provide a great platform for players to improve, but lets be real here, there can't be many more ideal situations for an attacking player than Bayern Munich.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. WiscoSpursFan Active Member

WiscoSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +236 / 1 / -0

Yeah I mean your argument makes sense. I do feel he can provide pretty great service for players like Alli and Kane. That being through combination play or crossing. But......

Just Zaha for me thanks. He is more direct than Costa, and like Son, he will make a mistake here or there but he WILL provide the goods. (Based on this season)
  18. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,010 / 32 / -0
    If we're talking Bundesliga, I'd rather have Pulisic.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,116 / 29 / -0
    Okay, request noted, i'll see what I can do.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +912 / 27 / -0
    This looks like a reasonable argument on the surface, but it's really self serving. Last season he was adjusting to a new team. This season, he has 4 Bundesliga goals and 3 Bundesliga assists in 13 starts. The manager clearly doesn't think Costa suits his style of play, but I think the stats tell a different story to the one you are telling. Zaha has started 28 games this season. He plays in a team that does suit his style of play. It's not as simple as you are making it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,116 / 29 / -0
    So if we can't base his form on last year as he was adjusting to a new team and this year as the manager doesn't think his style suits them, then how can we judge him? Surely we can't go back to the Ukranian league. I don't believe averaging 5 goals per season in the Ukranain league really drives your reputation. In fact 5 goals per season in the Ukraine is surely another reason to be skeptical and probably suggests his stats for last season were what should be expected of him and not that he was adjusting. In his final 2 seasons in the Ukraine he only got 4 goals. Basically that's 4 seasons in a row, in 2 different leagues where he's scored just 4 goals. At 26 years old (27 at the start of next season), that probably suggests he just isn't going to score that many.

Even if we adjust for lesser starts this season than Zaha, his numbers still aren't as impressive, if done on a fairer per mins basis. But I think the reason Costa is a biggish name is based on last season at Bayern. I'm not saying he's not a good player, but just that I don't think he's that good and don't think we should be interested (apparently we aren't either.)

At the end of the day, Son isn't even a nailed on starter for us and his numbers crap all over Costa and they've played a similar amount of mins.
  22. Hazza Well-Known Member

Hazza
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 19 / -0
    If Costa is available at a similar price to Zaha, I don't think there's even a question of who we should buy. Zaha has had a very good season, but it's his first in quite some time. Costa might not have the stats of Zaha, but he is currently bit part at one of the best teams in the world, not at a mediocre club with the team build around him.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +912 / 27 / -0
    I respect this argument, but I badly disagree. Costa isn't a goal scoring winger. Aren't you one of the guys always on about us getting another player that can make the killer pass? Costa is one of those guys, IMO anyways.
  24. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,116 / 29 / -0
    But stats show he makes less key passes than Lamela, who we already have and will struggle to get into our team when fit. In fact Costa's key pass stats are only very marginally better than Son's, but without the goals Son offers.

I'm not saying he's a bad player or that any of your opinions about him are wrong, but in terms of productivity he just doesn't seem to warrant our attention. I see it similar to buying Willian. I used to think Willian was brilliant, but ultimately, he just doesn't produce enough.
  25. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +912 / 27 / -0
    Willian is brilliant, but only in the right system. Same with Costa.

Now, about this nonsense that Lamela would struggle to get into our first team, lets look at his stats this season alone. 11 games, 3 goals, 6 assists. Yeah, we have no room for that level of production from someone that keys off our defense. /rolls_eyes
  26. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,116 / 29 / -0

So despite the fact we have a ppg that would total 90 points when Lamela doesn't start and our attacking mids have been on fire, Lamela wont struggle to get back into the team. So that is one attacking birth taken. Despite often playing with just 2 attacking mids, lets say we are going to always play with 3. That leaves just 2 spots left. So who are we leaving out for Costa? Or is he leaving Bayern to play a similar amount or even less for us?

Are we really going to leave Eriksen out? He makes way more key passes than Costa, makes more assists, scores more goals, and in terms of overall play is way more important. So its not realistic to drop him.

Dele Ali has scored 16 goals. Costa would have to be one hell of a provider to replace a player who scores 16 goals. I think it's fair to say that isn't going to happen.

Even if Costa comes in a Zaha type role, when he wouldn't be expected to be a regular starter, is he even going to be picked ahead of Son (who in truth will be ahead of Lamela in the pecking order now)? Son and Costa have very similar creativity stats. In key passes Costa in marginally better, but in assists, Son is marginally better. But Son massively trumps in the infinitely more important goal scoring stat. Son wins games! Also he's proven himself in the Prem for Tottenham. It seems crazy to risk big money on a player who is unproven in our league, to replace a player who is proven both in our league and our team.

So again, I'm not saying Costa isn't a good player. But I just don't see why he's that good to the point we'd buy him. You say he's brilliant in the right system, but apparently we haven't seen that system yet. If Lamela isn't going to struggle to get into our team, then who exactly does Costa replace? There is no way we can buy a player of his profile for a squad role.

The reality is Costa wouldn't get into our team and I don't think he'd even be our first choice back up for an attacking role. He'll probably end up either in Serie A or China.
  27. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,010 / 32 / -0
    When we discuss potential transfers I think we have to look at them as Pochettino probably does, which is, who has ability that can fit our style which is being suppressed by poor coaching or training or playing in the wrong system. Mediocre production shouldn't be a disqualifier, because if they are scoring a lot then we can't afford them anyway. Pochettino will be looking deeper into the problem to spot players who could be doing much better than they are.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +912 / 27 / -0
    Who said I think Costa would replace any of them? I am just arguing he is a good player. That doesn't mean I think he is going to waltz into our starting lineup. I also am not sure we run a system which suits him.

As for Son, let's get real. He has been great for us lately, but how has he done against the top half of the table? I am still not entirely convinced by him. Lamela does not do great against the bottom teams, but he is a real force against the top teams.

And honestly mate, I am just done with this conversation. You can't seem to make a post without passively aggressively slagging Lamela.
  29. Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Zarathustra
    Ratings:
    +4,674 / 61 / -0
  30. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,560 / 28 / -0
    Looks like paper talk. However Barcelona coming after Eriksen has been one my of nightmares as of late. I'm pretty sure Eriksen has said that his dream is to play for Barca. It would be extremely hard to replace Eriksen. I actually fear that it would crumble the whole team as many of our top goal scorers goals are more less dependent on Eriksens delivery.

Losing Eriksen would instantly make Alli and Kane much less effective.