Thanks from a Shamrock Rovers fan

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by dublinHoop, Sep 30, 2011.

1. dublinHoop New Member

dublinHoop
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Just a quick thank you to all at THFC and all the Spurs fans who made us welcome in London yesterday.

From the moment we arrived in Totteham on Thursaday morning to the moment we left after the game we were made to feel welcome.

It was a memorable occassion for our club and a great honour for us to play a great traditional football club like yourselves.

We gave it our best shot but for us to defeat Spurs, even with you fielding a weaker than normal side, would have been a miracle.

Taking the lead was in itself an acheivement as we had been fortunate to survive untill that stage.

It was clearly a bigger occassion for us than it was for you, hence the vocal support from our following as oppossed to the almost indifferent approach from the Spurs fans.

The defeat could have been heavier but I don't think we would have deserved a heavy beating.

Best of luck on Sunday and for the rest of the season.
    • Like Like x 31
  2. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    It was a pleasure having you, your fans were fantastic all night. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +781 / 3 / -0
    you guys were amazing in support of your club... when i watch football games on the tv i always like listening to the fans and who are the loudest etc and usually Spurs fans are very loud, but you guys were very vocal and it was great to hear...

one thing baffled me when it was about 6 mins into the game when you guys started cheering 'your supposed to be at home' lol it was 6 mins into the game!

I hope you do well in Europa and earn some big €€€€'s from it as i heard that you are a supporters run club!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. dublinHoop New Member

dublinHoop
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Down to the whole occassion being so significant for us I guess.

The game here plays second fiddle to the hype that surrounds the game in England, Man United and Liverpool in particular so for us to be at a big English club playing with a great support with us , perhaps some people could only wait 6 minutes to try to make a point!!! That 'point' by the way, is more likely aimed in many ways at the barstooler type fans of the aforementioned clubs who were back home in Dublin watching on TV.

SRFC is a club run by the fans. The board are elected from the fanbase. Being in the EL in itself is a massive thing for any Irish club, though I dont see any of the others being near to making that step yet so getting the 1.3 million Euros for qualification is a huge sum for us.

Some people get a bit carried away, but given the nature of Irish domestic football and its place in Irish society its probably inevitable that a bit of gidyness creeps into how people view things...

By the way we had a stonewall peno turned down in the last seconds... denying us the chance of jumping around again!

Again thanks for everything and I think a fair few Hoops will be rooting for you lads on Sunday!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Figgy Well-Known Member

Figgy
    Ratings:
    +512 / 0 / -0
    Felt bad with the 3-1 scoreline. I wanted you guys to get something from the game since you didn't look frightened, the fans were amazing and took the lead. ****ing Shamrock Rovers made me shit myself... Never thought I'd say that ;) Away leg is going to be even more mental. Good luck and I hope you some how get through to the next stage ;)
    • Like Like x 4
  6. SAspursfan New Member

SAspursfan
    Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Nice post mate and yes you should have got a penalty near the end.

Sounds a good club to be associated with pal. Good luck for the rest of the season.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. alexspepa Active Member

alexspepa
    Ratings:
    +166 / 1 / -0
    dublinhoop...it is about 8:30am over here in my part of the states - i just called into the Sirius/XM football show to congratulate both your players, and especially your fans. absolutely fantastic support - i loved how your were singing "4-3 4-3 were gonna win 4-3".
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,278 / 33 / -0
    Class post. Incredible support you have for your club, who performed incredibly well on the road. Looking forward to the next one. Don't be a stranger.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. contrast Welcome back Contrast!

contrast
    Ratings:
    +2,787 / 6 / -0
    I'll be following Shamrock Rovers results from now on, great little community that follows your club. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that we've been able to adopt an Irish club!

Good luck for the remainder of your season as well mate.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +781 / 3 / -0
    just out of curiosity is Ricketts a usual starter for you? they said in the commentary that he wasn't match fit yet, but your 6 games away from the end of your season aren't you (another commentary statistic)

but remember it was channel 5 commentating this game!
  11. Bawnville Hoop New Member

Bawnville Hoop
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just on the thread topic, you all made us feel very welcome, yesterday was a fantastic occasion.

Just on Ricketts, no he isn't match fit. He is a great playmaker but in some games he has played for us he goes in to hiding not making any attempt to tackle or track back. That may be fine for european football but in a league like ours where the objective is to 'stop rovers playing football by flooding the midfield', we have wingers like Dennehy (who started ahead of him) who can defend and attack.

The most ironic thing is that we can play the ball on the ground no problem and have confidence yet when we go straight back in to a league game the other team play a very low line and hoof which sucks us in to the same old bullshit play you see in the league of Ireland. (That doesn't mean the standard is bad, the style of play is)

Looking forward now to the game in Tallaght. I hope you get over 1,200 tickets or so. I would much rather see ST holders in the away end than a load of wannabe gloryhunting irish spurs 'fans' in the home end thinking they can compare to you all.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  12. dublinHoop New Member

dublinHoop
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all those nice comments lads, very humble of you all.

WHL is one of the grounds I always wanted to visit. I'm delighted I got the chance to do so with Rovers..I'm not one for new stadiums built in new areas or on the edge of towns miles from fcuking anything, with some clubs its a neccesity but in many cases it seems to be down to money, identikit stadiums build near industrial estates miles from any community. A horrible footballing byproduct imo.

I had not been to London for sometime and enjoyed my brief visit, funnily enough whilst waiting on a train at WHL staion on Thursday morning a guy on the opposite side of the platform was a little dissappointed to find out we were heading to Covent Garden for a drink rather than drinking in the Tottenham area, he was genuinely upset by that...now theres a fine example of local pride!

Also had a few in the Twelve Pins where they showed the Celtic game, the Blackstock, which I understand are Arsenal boozers (?) and many also headed to the Irish centre near the ground.

Good quality kebab from a small retauarant near the stadium was also scoffed minutes before the match, so all in all a good day in London.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Luke0405 New Member

Luke0405
    Ratings:
    +543 / 0 / -0
    You're very welcome, I spoke to a few of your lads and they very nice enough to talk to. Your fans were in very good voice all through the match. I have to disagree with you though when you said we didn't deserve the 3-1 defeat..... I think you got off lucky in all honesty it could have easily been 4-1 5-1.

Either way hope you all had a safe trek back.
  14. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 33 / -0
    fook off we dont want you lol
  15. seantheyid New Member

seantheyid
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    you guys were incredible all night, great vocal support. Found myself in a way hoping that you lot got something from the game, would've been a great occurrence, but even going ahead was a great thing for your club. congratulations.
  16. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,376 / 38 / -1
    What amazing support you have.

Cant wait til the next leg for you lads to have another sing song.

Well in and stick about.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Hoops Member

Hoops
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I think that got going because away fans ( us ) outsing the home fans ( you's ). We normally sing that at away grounds when the home teams are very quiet or there is a low home crowd.

Your right too, between 450-500 fans currently own the club. They pay 50 Euro (what's that, about £58? ) month into the club, so 400 a year and they get 'Membership Priveledges'. Stuff like the cost of your season ticket is included in the cost of a Membership, you get priority for tickets, vote at the AGM etc. It's a brilliant idea. Think an SPL side are currently looking into doing it. Can't remember which one off the top of my head though.
  18. ozric New Member

ozric
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    This is true football!!! i my self am a member in an amateur football club in Thessaloniki, Greece, called Progressive FC. Annual membership of 30 euros and something like one hundred members so far. But we play at the second, from the end, division, not the Europa Legaue :001_302:
    This is football lads! Check it out here if you are interested.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. PonchoTHFC New Member

PonchoTHFC
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    thank you, you were a pleasure to have at the lane and are welcome back anytime. i watched on tv, and the noise you made, wow was there 40,000 of you guys in there ??

not being rude but you were better than i expected, gave us a good game, and i thought you guys showed a lot of potential. at spurs we always try and make everyone welcome, with a few exceptions, ie arsenal and the like. :) seriously though, glad you had a great time in london and at the lane, we look forward to meeting you guys again in ireland.

all the best with the rest of you domestic season and good luck with the europa campaign, except for when you play us again !!! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rovers-ULTRA New Member

Rovers-ULTRA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    had an amazing trip to london!and to the fella who was just beside the away section in the upper tier,i enjoyed the banter we had for the game!

WHL is a great little ground and next time im in london,i'll probably visit it again,wont be expecting the away section to be as noisy though ;)

KOH

See you all in december :)
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Iconic Drei I am the Drei of all the Icons

Iconic Drei
    Ratings:
    +1,638 / 0 / -0
    Great stuff mate. Very classy post.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. dublinHoop New Member

dublinHoop
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Its a common enough song in Engalnd to be fair...

50 euro is a bout 40 Sterling.

The fan ownership thing will really only work at small clubs ...for now...so if there is an SPL club looking at it it has to be the likes of Dunfermline or suchlike.
  23. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Yes like many have said top class supporters never stopped singing and cheering, delightful sight.
    Javi,
  24. contrast Welcome back Contrast!

contrast
    Ratings:
    +2,787 / 6 / -0
    What Shamrock forum do you use? I'll come and join and we can be best mates in two places! :D
    • Like Like x 2
  25. skipsrfc New Member

skipsrfc
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Only one online afaik.

SRFC Ultras Forum
  26. S.L.R Well-Known Member

S.L.R
    Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -0
    Rovers had a great support, and I had plenty respect for them, but not sure about all the semis on for them :y5: People on the match thread were saying they wanted Rovers to win!? Fooking odd. LOL anyway, fair play Rovers fans you lot were great.
  27. Greenspur New Member

Greenspur
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wow !! Shambolic Rovers getting praise for their fans !! AMAZING, and rare ! ;) TTID.
    any tickets for the game in Tallaght ? :p