The Matches that cost us the title

Discussion in 'Players Lounge' started by NYYiddo1019, May 16, 2017.

1. NYYiddo1019 Well-Known Member

NYYiddo1019
    Ratings:
    +1,442 / 30 / -0
    So I'm sitting here thinking about what went wrong this season in our hunt for the title. Even though we had an amazing season, broke our points tally in a PL season and are achieving our highest ever finish in a season, I still can't help to think that this could've been our year to finally win it all. Apart from the West Ham match that all but ended our title chase, I think we've got to look back a bit further to see which matches prevented us from taking the league all the way till the end.

Home match: Tottenham 1-1 Leicester

Away matches: Bournemouth 0-0 Tottenham; Sunderland 0-0 Tottenham; West Brom 1-1 Tottenham

Shit, how different would everything be right now had we won those matches instead of drawing them. Those are 8 points we dropped there and right now we'd be at 88 points with a shot to go ahead of Chelsea on Thursday. Seriously we should have mugged off Bournemouth like we did last season, Sunderland apart from Defoe's exploits have been dreadful and West Brom is always tough but we definitely could have beaten them. Leicester were terrible when we played them and we should have beaten them AT HOME. We had the same problem last season. We draw too many matches and it comes back to bite us in the end and frankly it's inexcusable if we're going to be a title contender. Our finishing and conversion rate need to improve next season if we're gonna challenge for the top spot. Look at Chelsea, they only drew 5 matches all season. And as much as I hate to admit it, they knew how to win a lot of these matches. I know they lost to Palace at home and drew away to the Swans and those were the only two anomalies they had all season; since the other matches they dropped points were against the Top 6. While in our case, the West Ham loss and those aforementioned draws that tend to be forgotten. Losing to lowly West Ham may have killed off our title chances anyway, but those draws are what prevented us from keeping us within a shout until the last day where even the West Ham loss could have turned out to have been irrelevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. Billywhizz Well-Known Member

Billywhizz
    Ratings:
    +785 / 8 / -0
    The Chavs, due to their lack of European football were able to make the fewest changes in the entire league, couple that with the fact their entire team have won it before and that for me are the main differences.

Of course you can point to a few results here and there but ultimately we're a young side still growing and turning those draws into wins will come with more experience and better players off the bench. They've all season had the likes of Willian and Fabregash to call upon, we haven't been able to match that quality off the bench.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. moe888 Well-Known Member

moe888
    Ratings:
    +3,933 / 52 / -0
    The first 3 matches of the season we got only 4 out of 9 points too. Thats not a very title contenderish start.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +2,415 / 105 / -0
    Not a lot to complain about, but if it did actually boil down to a few results here or there then taking only 1 point from that Liverpool crap didn't help, and as per usual a silly draw here and there cost us...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Billywhizz Well-Known Member

Billywhizz
    Ratings:
    +785 / 8 / -0
    5 pts mate but let's not worry about the odd point here and there!! Tough games though, a point away at Everton and at home to the Dippers ain't too shabby.
  6. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,219 / 74 / -0
    is a little shabby... title contenders ought to be ruthless at home
    • Like Like x 1
  7. moe888 Well-Known Member

moe888
    Ratings:
    +3,933 / 52 / -0
    True. But starting the season off with wins would be nice.
  8. moe888 Well-Known Member

moe888
    Ratings:
    +3,933 / 52 / -0
    I dont feel like checking, but if I remember right, Chelsea beat Everton at home and away. We've got to beat these teams too if we want the title. Still being 2nd is great considering I was expecting around 4th-5th when the season started.
  9. Billywhizz Well-Known Member

Billywhizz
    Ratings:
    +785 / 8 / -0
    We've just come off an unbeaten season at home for the first time in 50 odd years, with the most amount of home points in the league. #ruthless!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,219 / 74 / -0
    Ruthless-er!!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. spursfast Well-Known Member

spursfast
    Ratings:
    +270 / 20 / -0
    Guardiola just said, that city before 6 years ago never in top 4, only in last 6 years have they been cracking it..and he said that big achievement, he went on to say, it'll get a bit easier next time ...what i'm saying is we cant be to critical about us dropping points here and there that cost us the title, next season itll be that little bit easier, that some of those draws will turn out to be wins, or those loss into draws, whatever well be close and maybe get there
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AJ201 Well-Known Member

AJ201
    Ratings:
    +768 / 22 / -0
    I'd have though the away loss to chelski would have been the obvious one, we looked very good during parts of the game but couldn't really sustain it for long enough.

In regards to Liverpool, Poch is at fault for not changing his tactics we were outplayed at home and away due to playing around with the ball at the back rather than playing a much more direct brand of football giving their rather poor defence more chances to make mistakes and keeping their excellent forwards out of the game for longer.
  13. spursfast Well-Known Member

spursfast
    Ratings:
    +270 / 20 / -0
    well get better at Stamford bridge, 26 years it takes something to break that, same with anfield, but we need to win these games to win the title ...sure
  14. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,076 / 21 / -0
    Didn't win every game we suck. Levy out.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. smallsnc Well-Known Member

smallsnc
    Ratings:
    +958 / 22 / -0
    I think it is more about Chelsea winning the title (no European football certainly helped) and the injuries of Kane/Toby that killed our title chances. We just had too many draws in the fall while they were picking up 3 points a match.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,241 / 41 / -0
    What did the club set out to achieve in the first place ?

Was it the EPL title or top 4 ?
    Was it the domestic cups ?
    Was it the CL ?
    Was it all of them ?

I genuinely dont know what MP set out to achieve this season apart from to challenge for the EPL which was never a serious one, despite the hype from him and the media in the last few weeks.
  17. S.L.R Well-Known Member

S.L.R
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Under Poch we set out to achieve the title, every year. He's made that clear.

But as for looking back at the results that cost us, which we do every season, the games listed in the op represent a pretty amazing season
  18. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +1,844 / 21 / -0
    Home against the Dipper, away at Sunderland. Getting run over at Anfield wasn't pretty either. No real horror shows. Sure West Ham but we were exhausted and sometimes matches just break your way. Great season. Long may they continue.
  19. Merlin Active Member

Merlin
    Ratings:
    +267 / 4 / -0
    Top 4
    • Like Like x 2
  20. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +223 / 5 / -0
    First off we've had a great season.
    Our highest PL finish, our highest PL points haul & unbeaten at home in our final season at WHL.
    IMO long term injury to key players in our squad is the major reason why we haven't managed to pull it off this season & beat the Nazis to the title.
    So far.......Rose has missed 18 games, Kane 9 games, Alderweireld 8 games, Dembele 8 games (4 while banned), Vertonghen 5 games, Lloris 5 games & If you include Lamela as being a key squad player he's missed 27!!!
    Also, lets not forget that a big chunk of those injuries came at the same time in the first 3 & a half months of the season.
    On the spin side their key players in their 3-4-3 system have hardly missed a game.
    Two of them, Cahill & Azpililqueta have played in every game. Courtois has missed 1 match,Costa 2, Hazard 2, Luiz 3 & Kante 4.
    I have absolutely NO doubt that had we been more fortunate with injuries Chavs would not have opened up a lead on us that, as I recall, was 13pts at one stage.
    No doubt!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,414 / 24 / -0
    Excactly. Everyone is praising Chelsea and I admit it; they have been terrific this season. But it's easy having a great season when all your key players are injury free and you only have to focus on the league.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +1,906 / 49 / -0
    86 points is the average haul of PL winners. So we've put together a season that is good enough to win the PL half the time. We just happened to do it in a year that Chelsea had an even higher total. If they win their last match it will be the 2nd highest total ever for a PL winner. We can't control what Chelsea does so I refuse to engage in this idea that we blew it. We put together a title worthy season.

If we can put up a couple more seasons in the mid 80s in the future, we will probably win the league.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. hrytn Well-Known Member

hrytn
    Ratings:
    +1,283 / 69 / -0
    No matches cost us the title. We had a superb season. Unbeaten at home, record tally points, best defense, best GD.....etc.

BUT to be critical as thread title suggests then draws against Leicester home, Westbrom away and Sunderland away in the first half of the season and late on the day we lost to westham away cost us the title.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +2,415 / 105 / -0
    Jamie Carragher said it best I think (and I don't often agree with Liverpools sky sports rep) if anything cost Spurs the title, and I'm not sure anything in particular cost them the title other than Chelsea, but you could possibly point to Janssen and Sissoko, they were two important signings last summer, especially considering Tottenhams financial ability, but they contributed absolutely zero towards the team/squad.....hard to argue with that to be honest.
  25. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +1,906 / 49 / -0
    Sissoko contributed 0. I'm not willing to go that far with Janssen, but his season was disappointing for sure.
  26. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +3,964 / 75 / -0
    If we win some of the poor draws, do Chelsea then lose to Palace? I doubt it. We havent lost anything, Chelsea have won it. Some of those poor results also came about due to injuries. Bad results are inevitable. Chelsea can also look back on bad results. Its how it is and always will be. Its a boring answer but thats football.
    Dave,
    • Like Like x 1
  27. hrytn Well-Known Member

hrytn
    Ratings:
    +1,283 / 69 / -0
    In one sentence:
    Table doesn't lie
  28. NYYiddo1019 Well-Known Member

NYYiddo1019
    Ratings:
    +1,442 / 30 / -0
    We've finished the season strong scoring 15 goals in the last 3 matches. We need to translate that to the beginning of the season so we can get off to a fast start and not look back. Let's hope that's the case and Wembley doesn't affect our form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  29. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +2,415 / 105 / -0
    I have got to look at this Wembley thing from another angle than the anti Spurs media would have us believe...yes our record there isn't good if we just look at the outcome of the result, but sometimes it just isn't the result that tells the whole story....Starting with our 3 CL games (and I'm just doing this from memory not stats so apologies if some are incorrect) this season we had no Alli (suspended) and no Kane for 2 games? Toby missed one? and Jan missed one? I think even Hugo missed one? Was Dembele fit? and Son was nowhere near his second half form, against very good teams, that's not easy!!....the other times we played there where finals, where we did beat Chelsea in one and lost the other and we only lost to Utd on pens, no disgrace in that, all against teams who were fighting for the title on those occasions and also not forgetting where we were at that time, averaging 5th to 8th most seasons....the semis are the same scenario, we lost to title chasing teams who on the day were better than us and the results went to form, which 9 times out of 10 they do?, the only exception was Portsmouth, that was probably the only disappointing Wembley defeat we suffered in all honesty that went against the form book....Wembley will be our home for 19 home games and no team has ever done that before so there are no stats to even back up any arguement we can't be successful there, in fact the majority of teams will shit themselves coming to Wembley......keep our current top players, add a couple of worldies and the title is ours...simple!!!!
  30. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +853 / 25 / -0
    I remember us struggling in CL because of injuries more than anything. I am not convinced Wembley had anything to do with it.