THFC Usual Formations (Style)........

Discussion in 'Team Formation' started by orlandospursfan, Mar 12, 2010.

1. orlandospursfan Active Member

orlandospursfan
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I am still learning about the club in the different aspects, so sorry if this was posted before. I am curious what is the usual formation that is used by the Spurs? Also, how does this effect the overall style of play by the club. Thanks for the insight.........
  2. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,453 / 36 / -0
    Though it has been the cause for much debate, particularly on this site, Spurs tend to line up in a traditional-as-they-come 4-4-2 (4 defenders, 4 midfielders, and 2 strikers). When the side is in full health, Harry usually uses something like:

----------Gomes----------
    -Corluka-Dawson-King-Bale-
    -Lennon-Hudd-Palacios-Modric
    ---------Defe-----Crouch-----

Obviously Lennon and Huddlestone have been out so this is not the way the side looks as of now. I know there are many people who feel a different formation would benefit the side (something like a 4-5-1 perhaps), but Harry has stood by the 4-4-2 for the most part.

ps- love your avatar. Boondocks is one of my favorite shows.
  3. orlandospursfan Active Member

orlandospursfan
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up. I remember hearing one time that we are a aggressive striking team (if that is not case enlighten me). Also, I remember from the last FA cup match (against Fulham) we had like 8 players injured.
  4. orlandospursfan Active Member

orlandospursfan
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, what match did your avatar come from? That is a great shot.
  5. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,453 / 36 / -0
    First of this season. Huddlestone showing Torres what's up!
  6. steelktm New Member

steelktm
    Ratings:
    +673 / 0 / -0
    haha still remember that happening when watching the game too. that was just class and it looked like Huddlestone was going to knock seven shades of sh#t out of him. lol.

And in answer to your question we typically are a nice flowing passing team unless Crouch (a.k.a bambi) is in there and for some reason we seem to long ball it all the time. i personally believe that Pav is better and spurs play better soccer when he is in there with JD.
  7. orlandospursfan Active Member

orlandospursfan
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I always get mixed reactions from people on Crouchy's playing abilities..........
  8. Pitseleh Well-Known Member

Pitseleh
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    hes a bit of a hate figure amongst spurs fans, although most outside the club recognize his ability, also his general unnatractive clumsy looking style.

we seem to stop playing the fast, push and run football we have been known for over the years, and go back to front, and become direct when crouch is in the side. there have been ocassions when he havent done this with crouch in the side, but he hasn't really been given a great deal of time to settle into our more natural style.

if your interested in football formations and strategy maybe you wanna have a read of "inverting the diamond" - its a real informative book about the history of football tactics and formation, brand new up to about 4 years ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. spursmonk New Member

spursmonk
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a clarification question, because I want to order this book; are you referring to 'Inverting the Pyramid" by Jonathan Wilson?