Tottenham Hotspur vs. Aston Villa (Official Match Thread)

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by BigDub, Nov 15, 2011.

1. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,278 / 33 / -0
    Finally time to start thinking about this next league match against Villa. Getting Rafa back is key, given his goal success against them.
  2. liam Well-Known Member

liam
    Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Rafa has been great against them in terms of performance as well as goals. The goal he scored last year when he combined with Bale and lennon was sublime. Was it boxing day last year? this game is so important (as is every game now) but with all the other teams playing on Sat and Sun we will know what the victory will achieve for us. let's just hope the weekend goes our way and monday is a victory for spurs. COYS!!!!

I can't wait for this game now after the international break.
    liam,
    • Like Like x 1
  3. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    According to Physio Room our only injuries are Rafa (with the date of the match as a return date), Gallas, Dawson and Huddlestone. Does this mean Niko is back? I don't think he was available for Croatia at the weekend (though I could be wrong) so I'm going to assume not.

I'm going to assume Rafa's not ready for more than the bench against Villa and I think Parker needs a rest too.

Friedel

Walker
    Kaboul
    King
    Assou-Ekotto

Lennon
    Sandro
    Modric
    Bale

Defoe
    Adebayor

BENCH:

Cudicini
    Corluka
    Bassong
    Pienaar
    Livermore
    Van der Vaart
    Pav
  4. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    @iwantpie Niko is out until December.

Dont think Harry will leave Parker out of the squad.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. liam Well-Known Member

liam
    Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Parker may need a rest but not even a place on bench???? Dunno about that.
    liam,
  6. gio 2008 Well-Known Member

gio 2008
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    looks like harry will be back which is good news could be stressful for him though lol jd got a good record against villa so if rafa dont make it we should be ok
  7. TehLondoner New Member

TehLondoner
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Start defoe for raf. Raf on the bench
  8. dan-spur Well-Known Member

dan-spur
    Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Can't wait for this, the missus reckons I'm wishing my life away but it's not true, I'm just bored at work and like to sleep early.

Anyway, I have always liked Villa and enjoyed away days at Villa park in the past. Not going to this one but you can't beat a bit of Monday night footy and to be fair Villa have looked very good this season and have been very entertaining.
  9. Jdefoe I AM KABOUL'S LOVE CHILD!!!!!

Jdefoe
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why rest, they already havent played last weekend??
  10. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,278 / 33 / -0
    Internationals....

Parker put in an exhausting performance. VDV picked up a knock.

That said, I would expect both of them to be in against Villa.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  11. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    both of them in the squad for sure but one of our strengths is our squad and i think it's a good idea to rotate players like parker as it will come back to him at the end of the season if we keep playing him week in week out. Sandro is still a top player and against villa he would be perfectly fine. If rafa has a knock then it's worth resting him as we all know that he does pick up injuries quite easily. JD has been in decent form anyway so nothing wrong with playing him imo.
  12. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,278 / 33 / -0
    Not saying I disagree with you, only that I think Harry will play both Parker and VDV if they are healthy.
  13. Yankee New Member

Yankee
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Parker and VDV rested in favor of Sandro and Defoe. I don't think Harry will drop them if there fit though.
  14. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    ------------Friedel------------

--Walker King Kaboul BAE--

-Lennon Parker Modric Bale-

-------------VDV--------------

-----------Adebayor-----------

Hopefully! Although I wouldn't mind Sandro starting, or Defoe.

COYS
  15. ModDaws Well-Known Member

ModDaws
    Ratings:
    +211 / 0 / -0
    Sandro's gonna want out soon
    • Like Like x 1
  16. TehLondoner New Member

TehLondoner
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Man utd and all these other teams are sniffing around Sandro we need to give him some starts!!! how is he going to progress?
  17. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    He's only been in/out of the team for just about a year now.......I'm sure he knows his role, games will be there for him. Patience.
  18. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    It's at home and right after the int. break so I think you rest Rafa and Parker.

Friedel
    Walker, King, Kaboul, BAE
    Lennon, Sandro, Modric, Bale
    Defoe, Adebayor

Not our strongest lineup, but Defoe/Ade should be solid and Sandro will serve in midfield, I think. It's not our strongest lineup, but it's hardly weak. And for Villa, Bent is coming back from the international break too, plus Agbonlahor may not play either. If Heskey is leading their line, then we better be able to win minus Rafa and Parker....
  19. BrunaSpurs Well-Known Member

BrunaSpurs
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0 / -0
    Match facts: Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa

Tottenham v Aston Villa: LIVE Monday 20:00
    Facts and figures ahead of the Premier League clash between Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa at White Hart Lane.

Aston Villa have dropped more points from winning positions than any other team in the Premier League so far this season (9), but have also recouped the joint-most (4).

Gabriel Agbonlahor has been booked in four of his five Premier League away appearances this season.

Both meetings between Spurs and Villa last season ended 2-1 to the Londoners with Marc Albrighton scoring for the Midlanders and all four Tottenham goals by Rafael van der Vaart.

Darren Bent scored twice in his last appearance against Tottenham and also netted in the last two Aston Villa v Tottenham games he played, while still a Spurs player.

Despite losing their first two games, this is Tottenham’s best ever start to a Premier League campaign with 22 points from their opening 10 matches.

Tottenham have lost just one of their last 21 Premier League games at White Hart Lane, winning 12 and drawing eight.

Aston Villa have kept just one clean sheet in their last 25 Premier League away games.

The Villans have drawn four and lost one of their last five Premier League away trips.

Stylian Petrov has made more interceptions (43) than any other player in the Premier League.

Brad Friedel has made the joint-most saves in the Premier League this season (46) despite Spurs having played one game less than most teams.

Match facts: Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa - Premier League 2011-2012 - Football - Eurosport Australia

I think the Friedel fact is the most interesting there, it shows how important he is to the team's success and that our defence is still rather creaky.

Come on you Spurs, let us pray that VDV is fit!!
  20. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    To be fair, probably about half of them were in the Fulham match alone. They had 20 shots on target that game :eek:15:
    • Like Like x 1
  21. JJohns Active Member

JJohns
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I'm really hoping to see Sandro in the starting lineup for this game... Parker needs a rest. As for VdV with a 4-4-1-1 or Defoe in a 4-4-2, I like the idea of both in this game, so really wouldn't mind either. If VdV still has the knock and is tired, I don't want to risk him too much (maybe start him on the bench, bring him on if need be).
  22. Dtrain23 New Member

Dtrain23
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    it would be daft to rest parker who will have had 9 days since he played in the spain match to recover especially given the vital role he plays for us. Sandro went back to brazil as well didn't he? so surely he would need a rest as much as anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if VDV played the first half at least against villa and maybe went off injured at half time with Defoe replacing him. Modric' played last night as did Walker and Corluka as well and there is still quite a few days until the game so i don't see fatigue being an issue at all.
  23. Yesh! New Member

Yesh!
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    isnt it more risky if he starts on the bench?
    if defoe starts and plays sixty minutes and then VDV comes on what happens if he then gets injured straight away. Then we will have to play with Pienaar or something, wouldnt it be better if we start with VDV play him for first 60 max and then play defoe. that way if he gets injured we still have defoe as a back up.
  24. boo Staff Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +5,820 / 15 / -0
    sandro verse parker and defoe verse van der vaart... let the good times roll! i mean, i'd be happy if any of those 4 started : )
    boo,
  25. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    He sure did and was amazing but he has 9 days without a game.

Same team for me against villa. Still think we should be using sandro for away games against the likes of villa etc but for this game i feel same 11 as fulham should play if fit.

To add to that, i guess gallas is fit now having seen him in training and he hasn't had any reactions since kazan (that i know of) so do you think gallas will start? or still ledley and kaboul?
  26. woody New Member

woody
    Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    We are on a roll, Harry's back, we have had 15 days rest period and we are scoring goals.

We have had only 1 home banker all season (QPR), picking up most of our wins away from home (Wolves, Wigan, Blackburn, Fulham) so it is nice coming into a run of fixtures we really should be winning, but we can't take the foot off the gas.

Friedel

Walker Kaboul King(c) Assou-Ekotto

Lennon Parker Modric Bale

van der Vaart Adebayor

Prediction: 3-0 - Adebayor, van der Vaart, Defoe
  27. Snowleopard New Member

Snowleopard
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I really hope Adebayor scores, would do us good to get him on the scoresheet regularly, add goals to everything else he has done for us the last games and we are looking at a complete striker!
  28. spursfast Active Member

spursfast
    Ratings:
    +139 / 15 / -0
    i reckon ade's really going to start kicking in now; he had a good game out internationaly ( on twitter reported he was banging in goals) which will given him him his excitment back, i'm excited just typing this
  29. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's probably a bit much. I'm pretty sure he'll start anyway so it's probably irrelevent.
  30. nssmuckers New Member

nssmuckers
    Ratings:
    +1,512 / 0 / -0
    I do hope you're right about this. I think he has to understand what role his injury played in this as well, we had to get depth there and he can certainly see how Parker's played.

I wish there was a way we could play both of them without pushing someone to an unfamiliar position or dropping someone else, but there really isn't.

Parker will have over a week of rest and no travel so I don't think this is the game to rotate him, but at some point I hope Harry gives Sandro some PL games.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 1