Tottenham target Belgian and Ajax defender Vertonghen

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by MagnaThor, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    [h=1]Tottenham are on the trail of Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen[/h]Nov 6 2011 by Alan Oliver, The People
    SPURS are on the trail on Ajax defender and captain Jan Vertonghen.
    Harry Redknapp sent his scouting team to watch the Belgian international, 24, keep an impressive clean sheet in Ajax’s 4-0 win over Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League.
    Boss Redknapp wants to strengthen his defence, with his Cameroon centre-back Sebastien Bassong likely to join QPR in January.

Tottenham are on the trail of Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen - Football News - Football - Sport - People.co.uk
  2. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 21 / -0
    He is pretty good isnt he?
  3. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Eeek, going after a captain of a club is a tough one to get......yet they've sold their previous two captains in the last 12 months (Suarez, Stekenlenburg).......so we shouldnt have a problem getting him, as long as we pay over the odds for him.

Better than Bassong for sure.
  4. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,663 / 12 / -1
    but is he good enough to be a replacement for King?

We need a constant next to Dawson.
  5. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    That's it isn't it, we need to stop looking for stop gaps and look for long term solutions. I've seen Vertonghen play a few times but not nearly enough to give a proper assessment. Maybe one of the Dutch yids can shed some light.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Audere est Facere New Member

Audere est Facere
    Ratings:
    +1,546 / 0 / -0
    nobody is a good enough replacement for king.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Maro New Member

Maro
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Agreed if you want a replacement for King, be prepared to spend 10millions of pounds.

I watched him once so cant say too much but he looks like a defender with good positioning. Havent see him tackle too much but use his intuition instead.

Also, dont worry about Ajax captains. If you are captain at Ajax, you are ready to be transferred, that's how it works with them :D
    Maro,
  8. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Dont know personally, I've only watched him a few times........for me if Caulker can continue to develop then we could have a tremendous CB coming into our squad next season.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    Yeah I agree with the Caulker statement. We have too many ... solid CB's. Either we buy a top of the line one, or sell a couple of them, buy a near-top of the line ala Cahill or Samba, and give experience to Caulker next season for all cup matches, bar CL of course :y15:. I would prefer a pacey CB in the vein of Koscielny and Thiago Silva type of speed. Of course, I'd preffer him to have more brains than Koscielny, but just an example.
  10. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
  11. gary_human Well-Known Member

gary_human
    Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    whenever i have seen this guy he looks a class act, i would be pleased fro him to come to spurs, would be a great replacement for Bassong.
  12. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +2,337 / 16 / -0
    What is it with Belgian defenders ?

Thats Vermaelen, Kompany and now Vertonghen who are making a name for themselves, if he"s as good as the other two then sign him up.
  13. Van Dijck Active Member

Van Dijck
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Arsenal is after him for more than a year now, and he would be keen to join his former Ajax (and Belgian) buddy Vermaelen. I don't think he'll come to us.
  14. Hodd Active Member

Hodd
    Ratings:
    +139 / 7 / -0
    As a Belgian i have to say that I rate him but I am not sure if central defense is his best position.

I still think he could be better as a holding midfielder and therefore I am not convinced that he would be the best buy. He is skillful, he's a leader but he's not very fast,... so he's not like Kompany and Vermaelen.

I maybe would prefer his teammate and compatriot Toby Alderweireld. He's more a pure central defender!
    Hodd,
  15. Jdefoe I AM KABOUL'S LOVE CHILD!!!!!

Jdefoe
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm from holland, i know him very well. He is A very strong defender, he had a very good last season, but this season nobody knows what happened.
    He looks lazy and tired. But when he is in well form, he is defiantly a good defender. He is specially good when he got the ball in his feet and go forward.
    His defending skills are not that good, but he can improve that, We should buy him, but not for more than 12 mille. He is defiantly better dan bassong, Dawson, gallas, but not better than king.
  16. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 21 / -0
    Still would rather have Samba
  17. Hodd Active Member

Hodd
    Ratings:
    +139 / 7 / -0
    Naah, Spurs needs defenders that actualy are skillful with the ball.

Samba doesn't cut if for me.
    Hodd,
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 21 / -0
    Spurs need defenders that are tough.
    And thats what Samba cuts
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Maro New Member

Maro
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I think we are heading towards CL, and if this is our target Samba would not fit in well. I cant see Samba as a CL standard defender, sorry. I would have said OK if he was young and full of potential but he will not develop himself any further.

If we want to compete with big boys, we should think big too. If we dont want to spend too much money like the others, we should increase our investments in youth program and scouting.

Think about who was the last schoolboy coming from our youth team, and you'll see what I mean.
    Maro,
  20. Hodd Active Member

Hodd
    Ratings:
    +139 / 7 / -0
    [h=1]Spurs to bid £10million for Ajax skipper Jan Vertonghen[/h] Nov 27 2011 by Dave Kidd, The People
    Add a comment
    Recommend

TOTTENHAM will make a January bid for £10million-rated Ajax skipper Jan Vertonghen.
    The Belgian international centre-back has been trailed by several leading Premier League clubs during the past two seasons but Spurs are ready to take the plunge.
    The White Hart Lane club’s interest was revealed by People Sport two weeks ago and David Pleat, who has been appointed to a scouting role by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, has checked out Vertonghen – a player who was already on the radar of boss Harry Redknapp.
    The 24-year-old, who can also play at left-back or as a holding midfielder, is out of contract in 18 months, meaning that Ajax must cash in soon if they are to receive a decent fee.
    Tottenham’s hopes of securing Vertonghen in the up-coming window were not helped by the fact Ajax are closing in on a Champions League knockout stage spot.
    Roberto Mancini has also made personal checks on Vertonghen and Spurs are aware that MANCHESTER CITY could blow them out of the water with a stellar wage offer.
    Hodd,
  21. Batman i love catnip

Batman
    Ratings:
    +1,324 / 53 / -0
  22. Audere est Facere New Member

Audere est Facere
    Ratings:
    +1,546 / 0 / -0
  23. Hodd Active Member

Hodd
    Ratings:
    +139 / 7 / -0
    For me King and Kompany are the best CB's in the PL. Without a shadow of a doubt!
    Hodd,
  24. Sraew Well-Known Member

Sraew
    Ratings:
    +597 / 0 / -0
    Kompany? Biased much!? Vidic!

Not interested in this player at all to be fair, he doesn't have the calibre we should be looking for now we're looking to break the top 4 year in year out.
  25. The Sundance Yid Well-Known Member

The Sundance Yid
    Ratings:
    +976 / 0 / -0
    Just heard that it is being reported in Holland that we have agreed a fee of 12m for Vertonghen. Is he any use does anyone know. It also said Arsenal were after him and going by that, he must be total garbage if they signed Mertesacker over him.
  26. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    They seem to be unconfirmed at the moment. Also I hear it's 12 million Euros not pounds, so like £10m.

Maybe Arsene missed, it wouldn't be the first time. I haven't seen him play near enough but I'm mixed right now. Looking at him he shows the potential for a good player but he does have his moments. We'll see, if true at least we're thinking outside the box on our targets, which is something I've been b%tching about.
  27. Batman i love catnip

Batman
    Ratings:
    +1,324 / 53 / -0
    He's really good in FIFA 12...... heh
  28. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    He's left-footed and pretty good on the ball. I think one thing that gets overlooked is the RCB and LCB thing, Kaboul is pretty bad when on the left but on the right a lot better. Vertonghen is very one-footed.

He's pretty good in the air, and plays as a DM for Belgium I believe so I think he may be a BPCB. But he's kind of slow. Is he any better than Kaboul? Not sure to be honest. Does he need to be? Again, not too sure.

I'm going to wait until January to get worked up about individual transfer sagas (or at least until the first ITK telling us Benzema has arrived at the Lodge :001_302:) so for me the interesting part of the article was "Manager Harry Redknapp is said to be a long-time admirer of the Belgian international and David Pleat, who has recently been made a Spurs scout, has been sent to check on his current form.

Read more: Tottenham eye £10m Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen | Metro.co.uk"
    So we hired Pleat, huh?
  29. TehLondoner New Member

TehLondoner
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    This guy is amazing, think King with skill on the ball, an awesome left foot, heading ability and can play as lb and ok midfield. He is so versatile and the thought of him as cover and kaboul as stopper makes me cream.
  30. deejbah Well-Known Member

deejbah
    Ratings:
    +2,005 / 0 / -0
    The thing with Mertesacker is that there are times when he can play well but there are times when you just think how the fook did he ever get a game with the national team. Playing a high line with him is just insane too.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.