Tottenham vs Manchester City (Official Match Day Thread)

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by Javi, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    The wolves game is now a thing of the past and we must focus on trying to get a result at city. This is a very important match and we can get the points if we stay focused, SO COME ON COYS!
    Javi,
  2. Musashi Well-Known Member

Musashi
    Ratings:
    +997 / 0 / -0
    I hope Silva doesn't make Daws and Kaboul look like fools again.
  3. ModDaws Well-Known Member

ModDaws
    Ratings:
    +211 / 0 / -0
    Lets ****ing do it!!!!
  4. Boone Well-Known Member

Boone
    Ratings:
    +724 / 0 / -0
    Need a result now if we want to be considered title contenders or even keep ourselves well into the champions league mix.
  5. ModDaws Well-Known Member

ModDaws
    Ratings:
    +211 / 0 / -0
    So Ledley could be back?
  6. blue.moon Banned !

blue.moon
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    It will be interesting to see how you lot will cope without Adebayor because even when he doesn't score, he has allowed your team to be fluid when attacking and continue its build-up play.

David Silva has had a week to rest in the sun in the Canary Islands to recover so hopefully he will come back hungry to give you guys a match to remember! :)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    Hilarious that this 100% accurate statement comes from a Citeh fan!
  8. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Well said to be honest I don't think Defoe alone can cover for Ade.
    Javi,
  9. blue.moon Banned !

blue.moon
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so either. Adebayor is a footballing striker (no surprise as he learned his trade from Wenger). Defoe is the polar opposite.
  10. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    I shouldn't have said "I think" should of said"I know Defoe is not enough to cover for Ade" lol. By the way give me your opinion despite the few setbacks what do you feel most confident about in your squad playing against Spurs?
    Javi,
  11. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Not even that, it's just that he can't play alone. He wouldn't win anything in the air and can't play with his back to goal. If we start Defoe I think you win, even without Kompany and the Toure's.
  12. StripiestPilot Well-Known Member

StripiestPilot
    Ratings:
    +3,689 / 59 / -0
    If Ledley is available I would send Dawson straight to the bench. Having to move to the left of central defence has clearly disoriented Younes a bit. Up front it's hard to know who should start. Pav is bigger and on his day a better lone option, but on a bad day he plays like a piece of furniture. I'd go with Defoe just because he looks sharp and rarely misses the target.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. blue.moon Banned !

blue.moon
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Dawson's positioning is ****ing shocking! King is a great player but after being injured (hamstring?) do you think he'd be as sharp? Though, I suppose a slightly-less than 100% King is better than a fully fit Dawson ;-).
  14. Dubrovnik-CroFan New Member

Dubrovnik-CroFan
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    It will be interesting to see how you lot will cope when your sheik runs out of oil,because even when he does spend cca 300 mill,he will never be able to buy history,tradition and heart off a true fotball fan.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. blue.moon Banned !

blue.moon
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Listen man, I come here to partake in good football banter, not to have confrontations because of my club's finances. Money hasn't changed our fans, it's only changed the people around us and your unprovoked negative post is a testament to this.
    • Like Like x 15
  16. Boone Well-Known Member

Boone
    Ratings:
    +724 / 0 / -0
    Haha the obvious difference between a Spurs supporter's opinion concerning Ledley and another clubs supporter's opinion on him, no disrespect!
  17. blue.moon Banned !

blue.moon
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Savic is a young and inexperienced centre-back and if we play him (I hope not) I don't think Defoe will be much of worry as he does not possess much of an aerial threat (Savic's main weakness).

I hope we will play Richards at centre-back and Zabaleta at right back because last time we played, Bale could not get anything past Zabaleta. Zabaleta, in my opinion, is our best man-marking fullback and probably our best tackler (at fullback). Zaba has nullified the likes of Walcott completely, and Bale last time, so if he plays it gives me confidence that we can cut out service from the wide positions.

You team commits many men when going forward and we will exploit this by doing one of the things we can do very well, counter-attack. You lot are also very decent at countering so I can see this being a back and forth game. Because I don't think Defoe will beat our centre-backs in the air so I think you will see us counter-attacking hard on your un-capitalised on crosses (because you cross a lot). For example: you cross the ball, Defoe is beaten to it, we counter-attack with pace.

Now I'm no tactician, but I believe this is how we will create our best chances.

Just my opinion. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. nssmuckers New Member

nssmuckers
    Ratings:
    +1,512 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to be a tactician to see that goals are there for the taking if we are as open as we were today and you guys make good decisions in the final third.

Our deep-lying midfielders pressed up way too high a few times against Wolves and they managed to play out of it and if they were a better team we surely would have been hit on the break. I assume we won't be so open against you guys, but I'm absolutely terrified of your counter attack because there's no way players of your quality will make such piss poor decisions and let us get away with it.
  19. GTGio Well-Known Member

GTGio
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -0
    It will be interesting to see how harry goes with this match. Will he stick to our tried and tested 4-4-1-1 and 2 out and out wingers who really stretch the pitch, or will he play the 4-2-3-1(my choice) and makesure we win the midfield battle and go from there with the more counter attacking approach. The most important thing about this match is keeping it tight early doors and an early goal would be a killer. We will really struggle to keep possesion in the city final third as that what defoe is not good at and with vdv dropping so deep defoe will be very isolated.

Walker--Kaboul--King--Benny
    -------Sandro---Parker-----
    ----VDV---Modric----Bale---
    -----------Defoe-----------

This is my prefered choice, sandro if fit is a must as he is a beast and will show de jong how its done ;) . I would like us to play narrow when defending and when we win the ball and counter look to get bale down their flank and get boddies into the box. Ideally lennon would play but he is often quiet for long spells and then springs into life in a moment which we cant have at the etihad. A great sub to have though, with tired legs id bring him on to stretch the play.
  20. blue.moon Banned !

blue.moon
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I think if we play

-----Barry----Milner-----
    Silva----Aguero----Nasri

You won't "win" the midfield battle.
  21. Davo New Member

Davo
    Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    has nasri had a good game this season?,he seems to be going through quite a long blip
    Davo,
  22. Boone Well-Known Member

Boone
    Ratings:
    +724 / 0 / -0
    Barry and Milner don't impress me much. Your front three? More so.
  23. jonspurs New Member

jonspurs
    Ratings:
    +936 / 0 / -0
    Milner has improved massively I think, Still think Barry is horse shit.

Worried more about Silva, Aguero, Johnson, Ballo...etc
  24. blue.moon Banned !

blue.moon
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Have you forgotten the 5-1? ;-)

He has been very inconsistent, but 7 or 8 assists and 2 goals tells me he has been contributing even though he's not had a string of starting games. Against Liverpool recently, he looked our best player when David Silva was away.
  25. GTGio Well-Known Member

GTGio
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -0
    Well it will be very interesting for sure, barry i dont rate (to be fair he's having a better season this year) but for somebody like vdv i would much prefer being up against barry/milner then parker/sandro. Nasri doesnt really frighten me since he joined you guys. For me its silva and aguero getting in between the lines of midfield and attack that are what we have to watch which is why i think sandro is a must (to rough up silva) as his ball winning is second to none.
  26. GTGio Well-Known Member

GTGio
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -0
    The 5-1 is completely different here. Our team was a lot different to how it is now to be fair. Im sure that will show next weekend.
  27. blue.moon Banned !

blue.moon
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I don't want to have a player x vs. player y debate, but I will say that I rate Barry above Parker. (This is my personal opinion, from a blue that watches many Spurs matches).

Almost any City fan will tell you Barry is quite possibly the player of our season. His passing is first-rate, stops counter-attacks consistently in every match, etc. I could go on.

Many people judge Barry from the world-cup shocker when Fabio Capello rushed him even though he was no where near full fitness. Unsurprisingly, he disappointed.

Also if you don't rate Milner, then you haven't watched City play much. Simple as. Milner is not the most technical player (retains the ball well though), but he passes very well and crosses well too. What Milner provides is a work-rate so high that at times it is unbelievable. Milner always provides an option to pass to for our players and can always be relied on. Take a look at his reverse through ball that led to the last second goal against Villarreal.

EDIT: Also, take a look at this INCREDIBLE goal from Milner that he set up himself:
    http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/man-city-4-1-aston-villa-milner

Edit 2: The Villarreal goal I was talking about:
    http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/man-city-2-1-villarreal-aguero1
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  28. conor1 Last tango in Belfast Donator

conor1
    Ratings:
    +4,004 / 37 / -0
    tbh mate, i hope you play richards at CB also. :y15:
    COYS
  29. Davo New Member

Davo
    Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0

the 5-1 result was at a time we had a lot of turmoil surrounding luka modric.Also we have shifted out corluka for walker,so it's highly unlikely nasri will get much freedom as he enjoyed in august
    Davo,
  30. blue.moon Banned !

blue.moon
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I know. Also the addition of Parker has stabilised your midfield much more. In the 5-1 match, you practically had no midfield if I'm honest.