Transfer targets from relegation sides?

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by StPaulSpur, Feb 7, 2012.

1. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    One of the things we've seen Levy do in order to save money and find a hidden gem or two is to loot relegated teams for talent that won't be keen to play in the Championship. Obv. this isn't a perfect approach b/c usually there's a reason the side got relegated and it has to do with the quality of player. That said, the performance of Parker shows that there can be a great deal of merit to this approach. And given that we'll still be working with a limited budget in the summer, it seems likely we'll make a play or two for relegated players again this summer. So who are some of your favorites from the bottom five? Clearly, the three relegated sides will come from the group of Blackburn, Bolton, QPR, Wigan and Wolves. So which players from those clubs could you see fitting in at Spurs? My list:

Blackburn - Hoilett, Samba (We've covered both of these names enough already, I think.)
    Bolton - None that I really fancy in this side. Eagles, Petrov and Mark Davies are all quality, but none of them belong anywhere near a top 6 side. That said, I could see someone like Stoke, Sunderland, or Everton making a play for them. (Or perhaps West Ham, assuming the Hammers get promoted.)
    QPR - If we weren't so loaded at CM already, I'd suggest Faurlin. Onuoha is also a good shout, although there are better CBs out there.
    Wigan - Maybe Rodallega but probably not, other than that though, no one here that I rate much at all (the keeper is class, but too gaffe-prone for me, could turn into another Gomes: great shot stopper but prone to silly mistakes). Moses is a talent, but seems kinda like a Jerome Thomas or Charles N'Zogbia type, talented player who still will probably never rise higher than the bottom half of the Premiership.
    Wolves - Fletcher and Doyle I both rate quite highly. Also am a big fan of Jarvis, though I'm not sure how he fits in for us. As long as we have Niko and Pienaar, can't really see us needing another LM. Also, if Krul spurns us in the summer, Hennessey may not be a bad shout at keeper. If we can't keep Adebayor, then I'm guessing we make one splash at striker in the form of Remy or Daimao and then we add someone like Fletcher or Doyle to back them up (hopefully while holding onto Defoe).
  2. CmonyouSpurs Well-Known Member

CmonyouSpurs
    Ratings:
    +1,619 / 0 / -0
    Regarding Bolton, I'd say if Stuart Holden and Lee Chung Yong weren't out with broken legs we should take a look at them. I'd actually go as far to say that they wouldn't be anywhere near their current predicament if those two lads were fit. Goodness knows what kind of form they'll show when they do return, though.

Don't really rate Hennessey, he seems very erratic with his shot stopping. Wolves away to Man Utd comes to mind, and when they came to the Lane the strike for Modders' goal was pretty much straight at him.
  3. ManilaYid Active Member

ManilaYid
    Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Me thinks that it would be Wolves, Blackburn and Wigan making the drop to the Championship.

With that said, Id take Matt Jarvis from Wolves. Great cover if ever one of our wingers gets injured. The man can put in a good cross and also has an eye for goal.

And of course the 2 Blackburn players we've been linked to the past transfer window, Hoilett and Samba and I'll take Yak if he's willing to play the third or even 4th striker role.
  4. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    Holden will be alright, he'll stay at Bolton if they stay up. I don't think he's injury prone, or his injuries will cause reoccurring problems, he's just unlucky. I'd take him as cover for Modric but I doubt he'd want to do that. Also I doubt he plays for Bolton in the Championship, rumors are he has a relegation clause, so if they get relegated his release clause is activated which isn't to pricey. I think he'll sign for a mid-table club or a newly promoted club on a short contract to get himself a consistent run of matches, so he can either opt to stay or get a bigger move. Unfortunate but that injury set him back.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko Well-Known Member

Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko
    Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    It would be nice to have Doyle, Fletcher or Rodallega on the bench instead of Saha to be honest.
  6. Yidington New Member

Yidington
    Ratings:
    +1,762 / 0 / -0
    Transfer targets from relegation sides.

I'd take Van Persie & Szchezny
    • Like Like x 8
  7. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    for me holden isnt good enough for a top 4 side even at cover. Lee is certainly a better player for me but i don't think he's as good as Hoilett who'd be a great squad player for spurs i think.
  8. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +2,336 / 16 / -0
    I like Jarvis as Ive said previously, delivers quality balls, Hoilet is a shout too, but the problem is will they or anyone else sit on the bench.
  9. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,468 / 38 / -1
    No one seems to have posed the arrogant question as to........

"Why would we want a player that has been relegated"...???

Refreshing.
  10. balooga999 Well-Known Member

balooga999
    Ratings:
    +474 / 14 / -0
    I think it's a little harsh to say Moses will never rise past the bottom of the Premier League, he is extremely talented. If you put some talent around him I think he has the chance to be a world class difference maker. If it is Bolton, Wigan, and Blackburn (or Wolves) that do indeed go down Moses would have to be the most prized asset in any of those three squads.
  11. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    I asked it, as did many others, this summer when we signed Parker.

Let's just say I'm not going to ask that question anymore!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,468 / 38 / -1
    I said that exact same thing I the Parker thread.

Although you could give a counter argument to the Parker signing that he was the current best player in the entire Premier League so his situation was vastly different.

My post was half meant toung in cheek.

I don't think anything on offer potentially would strengthen our first team.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    Moses is definitely talented, but there are certain players who are a) undeniably talented and b) never going to star at a top club. Whether it's due to an inability to step up in big games, an inability to put a team on their back and carry them, or even just a volatile temper that makes them a liability to teams who can generally get decent players without the temper, certain gifted players never rise higher than a relegation battle in the PRem or the lower half of the table. Thomas at West Brom, Taarabt, and N'Zogbia belong in this group as well, I think. Honestly, I think Morrison from United (now at West Ham) may be headed toward this group, which actually brings us to a fairly common thread with a lot of these players: "Ex-[insert elite club name here] player."
  14. spursmatt New Member

spursmatt
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I think for me there is only Hoilett that i would take. I also think that yes he would be happy to sit on the bench (it would hopefully be going from a relegated side to a champions league side), not all the time as he is good enough imo to swap with lennon in some cases as say if we were winning in a game against a lower side and bring him on i don't think he would really weaken us to an extnt. Not be like taking say Ade off and putting Pav on. Apart from that i don't think there is anyone, maybe Rodallega as a fourth striker if we let Saha go in the summer
  15. HarryBlueNose Banned !

HarryBlueNose
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I don't think any of them are spurs' standard players but Moses, Beasejour, Fletcher and maybe Doyle are just about premier league quality in my opinion.
  16. Yesh! New Member

Yesh!
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Dutch Ex [Real Madrid] Centre Attacking Mid, First Name Rafael??........... I think i make myself clear
  17. balooga999 Well-Known Member

balooga999
    Ratings:
    +474 / 14 / -0
    No doubt. However in someone like Moses your investing in potential--he may or may not amount to world class--but with with a fee that is likely to be not overly exorbitant even if he does "flounder" and end up as a Charles N'Zogbia we don't come out to bad. Other than that there really aren't any PFA player of the years like Parker hanging around in any of those squads so you look for the next best thing and I reckon there is value in someone like Moses.
  18. TheSpurEST Active Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +192 / 11 / -0
    Yea, I agree on last poster here- if it would be on reasonable price, I would go for Moses. He has impressed me, and if he doesn't turn out to be a top class lad, we could sell him for same kind of money we paid for him. But to be realistic, I wouldn't put my money on him joining Spurs if his team will be relegated. He is 21 now, and I recon, he would choose a team where he's playing time would be guaranteed. He is in the age, when he needs a lot of playing time. I think he have potential (I don't say he surely will, but he could) to become top class player, but he won't achieve it by warming bench !
  19. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +2,336 / 16 / -0
    I heard/read it somewhere that Moses was the most fouled player in the PL, dont know if thats good or bad really.
  20. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    It can be a good thing. I know Totti's always high up there.

He dives a bit but a lot of the time players will hack at his legs so he doesn't kill them with a bit of skill.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  21. Spurs_saints New Member

Spurs_saints
    Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I hear arsenal have a good player, van persie i think they call him? Well we can steal him for the bench when they get relegated
    • Like Like x 1
  22. corroded Well-Known Member

corroded
    Ratings:
    +597 / 0 / -0
    As much as I don't like Arsenal, Van Persie wouldn't be on our bench if we bought him.