United States National Team

Discussion in 'International' started by BlueCrew LA, Oct 14, 2010.

1. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    This thread is for American Yiddos to talk about our national side, and non-americans also, everyone is welcome. I've been on a couple of USMNT sites and they seem to be packed with Arsenal or Liverpool fans, and they tend to talk about their own club a lot. So post all your USMNT updates here. :001_005:
  2. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    Something I posted on another board yesterday.

USA 0-0 Colombia

Positves: Man of the Match IMO is Jermaine Jones. He was days away from being called up to Germany. Half German and Half American his dad was soldier over there in Germany. He looks like he could be a solid pickup. Eric Lichaj was much better then I expected, he didn't have a bad play on a ball all match.

Negatives: The central midfield needs to be addressed too many times two or more CM's were right next to each other. When you play 3 CMs you need to get spacing or else it can get congested rather quickly. Most of these players are used to playing in the midfield with only one other player and it showed.

Also Jozy had a poor match IMO, I don't know if it's a fitness thing or what. If he would do things just a step faster then he normally does he would get more goals, his work rate is the one suspect part of his game. I wish he would force a transfer to a French or German club, I think that would be the perfect place for him to develop into a target striker.
  3. rudi New Member

rudi
    Ratings:
    +1,961 / 0 / -0
    Yer man Charlie Davies seems to be making a lot of bad choices, I'd say............ :001_07:
    rudi,
  4. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    I honestly couldn't believe it when I read that story, unf-ckingbelievable.
  5. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    Article for the Colombia match.

U.S., Colombia play to 0-0 draw

6. jamiendg Well-Known Member

jamiendg
    Ratings:
    +428 / 6 / -0
    tell you what if canada had tied columbia 0 0 wed be dancing in the streets.
    but then again ..... we are not the best / aka 80th in the world.
  7. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    You guys are pretty passionate though.

As for us, we should have won that match. The striker situation is a real concern, I'm starting to doubt that Jozy will develop into the player that we need.
  8. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    thought he was a shite last night, overrated is what I'd say. Seems like up front is the only place you're lacking a threat, as Bradley tends to play Dempsey and Donovan mostly in midfield
  9. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    We have other strikers that I think Bradley should start to give a look to like Omar Salgado or Danny Mwanga. Mwanga is tricky though he's from the Congo and he's made it clear that he doesn't want to play for the Congo, he wants to play for the US but he may have issues with citizenship. His family have lived in the US for sometime, they had to flee the Congo after his father was killed in the civil war. Mwanga could only reunite with them in 2006 when he came to the US. He went on to play football at Oregon State and get drafted #1 in the MLS Draft. I think he'll get citizenship but it may take some time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  10. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 5 / -0
    I still dislike Bob as manager.
  11. orlandospursfan Active Member

orlandospursfan
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    We do need some more depth in Defenders and Strikers. I remember watching the world cup and noticing our lack of quality defenders and forwards. I hope Salgado and Mwanga get their citizenship in time for the next world cup, we can use their help.
  12. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    Witness the future, Gale Agbossoumonde. By the next world cup I fully expect him to be playing in Europe he has a lot of potential. He's on loan right now to Braga, I don't think he's seen any playing time yet though.

.:: Yanks Abroad - European Soccer, Made in America ::.

[​IMG]
  13. orlandospursfan Active Member

orlandospursfan
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    with the number of mids we have, I can see us do a 4-3-3 with Donovan and Dempsey on the wings with our best striker up alone. I can see Holden, Bradley and Edu in the middle (with Jermaine Jones as a option).
  14. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    I've been a long advocate of the national team using the 4-3-3. My central midfield would look slightly different though Bradley (Attacking), Edu (Defending) and Torres (Supporting). That was the main issue yesterday the midfielders didn't seem to understand their role. I like Jermaine Jones and Holden they will be great for depth but Torres will claim that spot soon.

[video=youtube;AILW6g-r4mU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AILW6g-r4mU[/video]
  15. steelktm New Member

steelktm
    Ratings:
    +673 / 0 / -0
    so what has happened with Davies of late? i must have missed something. didn't get a chance to catch the last 2 US games since being in Canada however i am worried with gold cup coming up soon.
  16. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    Daily Dispatch Online
  17. steelktm New Member

steelktm
    Ratings:
    +673 / 0 / -0
    haha i saw the headline for that but for some reason was thinking it was back to his horrific wreck he had back in october of last year.
  18. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    No the genius was at it again...
  19. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    A nice classic on FSC right now.....England vs USA from 93 at Wembley

correction *94
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  20. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    I remember it well, I was living in England at the time.
  21. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    I really think the US should work on their defense a bit more just from what I saw in the WC the goals made against the US were IMO mostly due to poor defense I think there is already enough ability up front for the US to have a constant flow of goals.

Btw I am not sure since I have not heard any news about it and I missed the friendly match earlier this week but is Bob Bradley out or not?
    Javi,
  22. steelktm New Member

steelktm
    Ratings:
    +673 / 0 / -0
    nah he is coach for next 4.
  23. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Glad to hear it believe me playing musical coaches is a disaster!
    Javi,
  24. steelktm New Member

steelktm
    Ratings:
    +673 / 0 / -0
    klinsmann though i heard was a possibility for the US if they didn't renew Bradley. so take that for what ya will. . . .
  25. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    What I heard was that like the first time he interviewed for the job money was the issue. The first time it was his own salary but this time it was the projected salary of his potential staff. I think he would have been great...
  26. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,777 / 16 / -0
    I just want to say that I think torres is great, his skill is something not seen coming out of US players. At least in the past he hasn't fit in with the teams style, however I don't think it hurts to have some balance with him in there. The real problem I see with a 4-3-3 is that you need to have some special players to play wide up top, and while Landon works, the rest don't exactly. I don't think the USA is going to have the skilled players - perhaps ever - that are needed to play a possession game on a world cup level. This is because the way youth talent is brought up in the states is with sub-par clubs, and then wasted at the college level - they just will never be able to put out players like countries where football is a business at the age of 14.

So I think the US should play to their strengths and they might be able to at least compete against big teams come the next WC - even if that does mean less physical less attractive football and missing out on some of the most gifted players, the alternative of something like a 4-3-3 would just leave the US dominated whenever they play a top side.

Would love to be proved wrong though...
  27. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    I have been hearing talks that there might be some sort of union between concacaf and conmebol just talks right now nothing is certain but imagine the competition it would certainly power up countries in concacaf in a league and international competitions.

If this could happen just imagine how strong the US,Mexico, Costa Rica, and other countries could get with that kind of competition.
    Javi,
  28. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    That would be great. It would definitely increase the popularity of football here stateside, which is what we need to develop a real competitive international side.
  29. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    I still can't believe the Women s US national team was defeated by the Mexico woman's team still quite a shocker.
    Javi,
  30. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,556 / 16 / -0
    I thought I would revive this thread since there's some interest in the USMNT of late.

Continuing from the talk in the Gold Cup thread.

I'm pretty optimistic about the future. Our next group of players and I'm talking about for the 2014/18/22 World Cup will see the benefit of a greater emphasis put on football stateside. Here's a little list of players to watch out for. Some may opt to play for other national sides like Mwanga.

Alex Zahavi
    Charles Renken
    Daniel Williams
    Danny Mwanga
    Eric Lichaj
    Ethan White
    Fabian Huerzeler
    Gale Agbossoumonde
    Josh Gattowned
    Luis Gil
    Macoumba Kandji
    Omar Gonzalez