VDV "annoyed" by Europa League omission

Discussion in 'Europa League Discussions' started by rossdfc, Sep 13, 2011.

1. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14773846.stm

[​IMG]

Tottenham's Rafael van der Vaart has said he is annoyed at being left out of the club's Europa League squad.

The 28-year-old hobbled off during Spurs' 5-1 defeat to Manchester City and had originally expected to be out for six weeks with a hamstring injury.

But, despite now expecting to be fit for the Liverpool match next week, the omission means the playmaker will miss Spurs' six Europa group matches.

"Spurs could at least have consulted me," he told his official website.

In a section headlined "annoying" on his website, the Dutch international said: "I still think it's a peculiar situation.

"Anyway, it's up to the point of no return. I will be focusing on the game against Liverpool.

"I'm pretty convinced I will be fit by then."

The former Real Madrid player missed Holland's Euro 2012 qualifiers and was also sidelined as Harry Redknapp's team secured their first win of the season against Wolves on Saturday.

Redknapp intends to blood a number of youngsters such as Harry Kane, Tom Carroll and Jake Livermore in the Europa league to keep his squad fresh for a top four push in the Premier League.

Spurs kick off their Europa League campaign against PAOK Salonika in Greece on Thursday.

If they get through the group stages, they will be allowed to add three new names to their squad.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. kinkygerbils Well-Known Member

kinkygerbils
    Ratings:
    +1,092 / 35 / -0
    VDV said all last year he wanted to play in Europe so it seems a little harsh to drop him, saying that we need him fit for the League.

But I think the issue here is how our medical team have got something so wrong yet again, was that a sly dig at them in last line In the whole interview.
    "I'm pretty convinced I will be fit by then thanks to Dick van Toorn."

3. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +785 / 3 / -0
    that's a bit odd that they haven't named him in the squad for any of the group stages... but then again if they did name him in it and we start performing less we will be forced to play him in this competition to do well... whereas now he isn't allowed to play, but don't worry i'm confident in our youth's ability to get through the group stages and we will see him in the latter parts of the competition.
  4. JacoZA Well-Known Member

JacoZA
    Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    ... sigh *facepalm*
  5. davids01 Well-Known Member

davids01
    Ratings:
    +193 / 1 / -0
    Seems they are putting words in his mouth a bit there. But seriously VDV needs to get fit. Propper fit before he starts demanding games.
  6. PonchoTHFC New Member

PonchoTHFC
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    has the squad been announced yet ?? as whose in and whose out ??
  7. PonchoTHFC New Member

PonchoTHFC
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
  8. PonchoTHFC New Member

PonchoTHFC
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    seems to be the players without * make up the main 25 main squad for the tournament, and the ones with the * are b players, does that mean like reserve players if someone gets injured ??
  9. Iconic Drei I am the Drei of all the Icons

Iconic Drei
    Ratings:
    +1,638 / 0 / -0
    Not really bothered that he isn't included tbh...

And once again, after reading some of the articles amongst various websites, I CANNOT help but feel it's been taken out of context....
  10. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Maybe he shouldn't have said anything to begin with;).
    Javi,
  11. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,451 / 36 / -0
    Probably just another overblown thing by the papers. But we do need him for the league first and foremost. All other competitions are secondary.
  12. GoldenSpurs Active Member

GoldenSpurs
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    I think those with asterisks are U21.. Rose and Livermore are 21 which is why they do not have them. Meaning they do not have to be registered..
  13. hendey Active Member

hendey
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    We have qualified for the champions league once...i still don't understand why we don't take Europa league seriously. Not long ago, we would have been proud to be in euroupe and it's obvious how much certain players like van der vaart rate Europe even the so called "minor" European competitions. This just highlights yet another failure in communication in the backrooms of Tottenham, we need to sort this out or at least stop players moaning about it in public, as it doesn't look good.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. GTGio Well-Known Member

GTGio
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -0
    Thing i dont understand is that CDV is virtually the only player left out? I mean Pienaar is more injured and less influential than vdv ffs!!! I dont know how to read this situation!!!! I cant help but think harry is making waves for the sake of it as much as i dont want to believe it. I mean honestly, vdv our top scorer last year and he's left out, i know he cant play EVERY game but for him not to be even in the squad... that aint right!!!! Harry's upto something. He wants out!!!! Im cheesed now big time.
  15. muckser Donator

muckser
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    anyone got the squad as the one above even as kenae in it!
  16. kinkygerbils Well-Known Member

kinkygerbils
    Ratings:
    +1,092 / 35 / -0
    Harry's reply.....

"That was the only reason behind, he was away in Holland having treatment, I would have sent him a carrier pigeon with a message, but I didn't feel it was that important."

17. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,468 / 38 / -1
    Tough shit fella....!

Do as ya fcukin told and get on with your job of putting every dead ball we have into row fookin Z...!

You are needed to get into the top 4 and this shitty excuse for European competition does not matter.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  18. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +2,336 / 16 / -0
    Tottenham's Rafael Van der Vaart annoyed by Europa League omission

Page last updated at 18:53 GMT, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 19:53 UK

[​IMG] Van der Vaart was Tottenham's top goal-scorer last season with 13 goals Tottenham's Rafael van der Vaart has said he is annoyed at being left out of the club's Europa League squad.
    The 28-year-old hobbled off during Spurs' 5-1 defeat to Manchester City and had originally expected to be out for six weeks with a hamstring injury.
    But, despite now expecting to be fit for the Liverpool match next week, the omission means the playmaker will miss Spurs' six Europa group matches.
    "Spurs could at least have consulted me," he told his official website.
    Spurs' upcoming fixtures

Continue reading the main story 15/9 - PAOK (A) Europa Lge
    18/9 - Liverpool (H) Premier Lge
    20/9 - Stoke (A) Carling Cup
    24/9 - Wigan (A) Premier Lge
    29/9 - Shamrock (A) Europa Lge
    2/10 - Arsenal (H) Premier Lge

In a section headlined "annoying" on his website, the Dutch international said: "I still think it's a peculiar situation.
    "Anyway, it's up to the point of no return. I will be focusing on the game against Liverpool.
    "I'm pretty convinced I will be fit by then."
    The former Real Madrid player missed Holland's Euro 2012 qualifiers and was also sidelined as Harry Redknapp's team secured their first win of the season against Wolves on Saturday.
    Redknapp intends to blood a number of youngsters such as Harry Kane, Tom Carroll and Jake Livermore in the Europa League to keep his squad fresh for a top four push in the Premier League.
    The Spurs boss denied any rift with Van der Vaart.
    "The first diagnosis on Rafa's hamstring was that he would be out for six weeks - at least," he told Sky Sports News.
    "Six weeks down the line, he misses the first four games, and we only have six games, so we thought there was not much point putting him in. We might as well put in some of the other lads who can play.
    "The game he would have come back for would have been the game out in Russia [versus Rubin Kazan on November 3] and it would have been a long journey for him.
    "We thought we'd leave him out and if we get through the group he can come in then."
    Spurs kick off their Europa League campaign against PAOK Salonika in Greece on Thursday.
    If they get through the group stages, they will be allowed to add three new names to their squad.

If you read Arry"s reply it makes sense imo.
  19. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    Eh, doesn't seem a big deal to me. Honestly, I'm sympathetic to Rafa. You're a top-class footballer, you want to be in Europe. Understandable. And to be excluded from the squad without being told while, at the same time, the manager says you're a very important squad member... that's strange. If he's so important, then it doesn't seem unreasonable to tell him he would be left out. Not trying to completely excuse him here b/c there wasn't a good reason to post that on his personal website, but I can understand him feeling that way.
  20. muckser Donator

muckser
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    eh friedel is out as well of squad!
  21. deejbah Well-Known Member

deejbah
    Ratings:
    +2,005 / 0 / -0
    The club seems to have a bit of a communication problem, remember what happened with Sandro?
  22. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,803 / 21 / -0
    i blame harry. how hard is it to call up vdv and tell him were not taking EL seriously.
  23. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,670 / 13 / -0
    Step forward our medical team and take a round

of ammunition .
    • Like Like x 1
  24. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 5 / -0
    We should be able to make it out of the group stages without any of our big names. Let the big name players focus on the league and blood some new players in the Europa. VDV needs to be fit enough for EPL play, not focus on less meaningful games he isn't playing in.
  25. falstaff Well-Known Member

falstaff
    Ratings:
    +396 / 3 / -0
    I'm annoyed that vdv is annoyed by this.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,466 / 108 / -3
    I'm annoyed that you're annoyed that VDV is annoyed by this:001_302:
    • Like Like x 2
  27. spursfast Active Member

spursfast
    Ratings:
    +139 / 15 / -0
    i'm annoyed' i'm goin break somethin
  28. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +1,458 / 5 / -0
    I don't know why he needs to tell the press.

Just talk to the club about it, telling the press just makes it look like he's trying to put pressure on the club, there's no other reason for doing it.
  29. Mattads1882 Donator

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +689 / 7 / -0
    I actually think it's a smart move to exclude VDV at this stage..... this one argument will save 6 arguments of VDV wanting to play in the Europa when we want to keep him fit for the league.
  30. balooga999 Well-Known Member

balooga999
    Ratings:
    +474 / 14 / -0
    I think VdV should take the omission as a compliment. It speaks to his importance in the squad for the Prem. league push. While Piennar's inclusion instead of VdV may seem peculiar considering injuries I'm sure Harry finds VdV a more integral part of the squad then Piennar, hence the omission. lol @ the resentment of the medical team; it's a bit harsh if I may say.