What's Europa League tiebreaker after goal differential?

Discussion in 'Europa League Discussions' started by bfwolf, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +707 / 15 / -0
    Goals scored? I show us down 5 at the moment so we'd need to win 5-0 just to get level with Rubin if they lose 1-0. What would be the next tiebreaker?
  2. Father Ted New Member

Father Ted
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    You have as much chance of scoring 5 goals against Rovers as I have of winning the lottery.I can accutally see you dropping points in Tallaght and I dont think the Russians and Greeks will be too bothered about winning.Iwould imagine they will both settle for the draw.
    to answer the question if it is level on GD the team with the highest number of goals For would qualify and if that is the same it goes to whoever done best in their head to head games.But as we all know this could change at any time as UEFA seem to make up the rules as they go along.
  3. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,311 / 2 / -0
    Would that be our lottery or the Irish lottery ;)
  4. gabrielconroy Well-Known Member

gabrielconroy
    Ratings:
    +862 / 0 / -0
    Scoring 5 goals isn't out of the question if we put a strong team (although I don't think VDV is in the squad for this stage), if unlikely. Obviously Rubin also have to lose as well. I'm not particularly bothered in any case. I know lots of people see Europe as important no matter the competition, but we'd have to sacrifice a lot of fitness levels and run the risk of injuries over a lot of extra games even if we did get through just to have a chance of winning the damn thing. The PL is obviously way more important, so I'm not that bothered.
  5. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,654 / 13 / -0
    I would just like to point out that the prize money is 10 times what the FA Cup has to offer .
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Father Ted New Member

Father Ted
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
  7. crocop Well-Known Member

crocop
    Ratings:
    +531 / 0 / -0
    From now on we need to play our best team! This is our chance to win a huge title(bigger than FA Cup)! Go get it boys!
  8. Yidington New Member

Yidington
    Ratings:
    +1,762 / 0 / -0
    Being the Europa League & its crazy set-up, I believe it would then be decided by a 8-leg, mini round robin play-off, comprising of all involved teams, contested over 3 consecutive days in between 2 of our most important xmas fixtures.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Father Ted New Member

Father Ted
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Plus you would need a playoff for second and third place just in case any other team is thrown out of the competition because there not fashionable.
    Rememember Sion Were replaced by Celtic on a techncality.
    On a serious note however Seat,sponsers of the europa league have signed a sponsership deal with Shamrock Rovers which is reputed to be a huge sum of money in terms of league of Ireland football.We must have done something right during the competion.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Father Ted New Member

Father Ted
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    The game is about the Glory.Surprised at you bring money into the equation!
  11. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    And in today's system, money brings glory.

What [MENTION=5260]Rev John Ripsher[/MENTION] said about the amount should make you all think twice about wanting out of the EL so badly.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Compared to the money a top 4 finish brings and the attraction of Champions League Football.......I'd rather have that.
  13. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    We could have had both. 10-12 million pounds for the EL, and what makes you think we'll make 33 million again from the CL? What if we don't win the group (let alone advance to top 8), and finish 3rd or 4th? That would bring the same amount of money as the EL amount I mentioned.
  14. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Qualification for the CL and all the TV Revenue that comes from the competition would surely give us more than winning the EL.
  15. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,654 / 13 / -0
    Lyon last night managed to turn around a 7 goal disadvantage into a qualification into the knockout phase .
  16. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,301 / 107 / -3
    There you go, easy! The simple way to make sure a tiebreaker is not needed is to go and get a LOT of goals against Shamrock. We don't know if PAOK will help us out, but I have heard that the Rubin fans said that "PAOK's mum is a big fat slapper" so maybe a bit of incentive there PAOK - are you going to let them talk about your dear old mum like that? Punish them most severely!
  17. Yesh! New Member

Yesh!
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    id say we have as big a chance as maybe man city yesterday. but im still not expectin us to go through.
  18. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,720 / 33 / -0
    I heard it gets decided by the standard of the burgers at the grounds, in that case were fooked lol