Why are spurs fans called Yids?

Discussion in 'Players Lounge' started by BWFC1986, Mar 20, 2012.

1. BWFC1986 New Member

BWFC1986
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    As I have been following your forum for the past few days I have been wondering what YID stands for or means?

I may be being really ignorant and if I am I apologise but I have tried to google it and have seen many explainations.

As a result I thought I would one to the fans for my answer.

Thanks
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Londonspecial Active Member

Londonspecial
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    It is because Tottenham was historically a very Jewish area (although no longer), Yid being a slang term for someone Jewish, and there you have it.....Yids! That's my understanding anyway.
  3. Wotspur I'm Only a poor little Yiddo, ..... Donator

Wotspur
    Ratings:
    +1,045 / 2 / -0
    No problems mate and welcome to our Forum.
    Tottenham has a large Jewish area, and we have predominately been under chairmen who have been Jewish. Yiddish is a dialect/language of the Jewish population.
    In the late 70's and - 80's, we as fans, when we went to support our club away, especially to West Ham and Chelsea, and other clubs with large number of NF and other right wing fans, often encountered anti Semetic chants and Hissing - as in the gas chambers.
    As a Non Jew, it didn't affect me as much as some, but we, the fans reclaimed the obsenities shouted at us and turned ourselves into The Yid Army - and twas our infamous hooligan element.
    I'm sure others will elaboarate, with their reasons on why The Yids
    Now please respond with why are you The Trotters ?? is it anything to do with your lady folk ?(TIC) I hope not !!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TettenhallHotspur Well-Known Member

TettenhallHotspur
    Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    As suggested above Yid is a derogatory term for a Jew.
    David Badiel (not a Spurs supporter) recently led a campaign for Spurs fans to stop using it on the basis that you can't stop people using it in a racist context if it's being used so freely by Spurs fans.

He was never going to win that one. Besides I think it's all about context and the intention of the individual using the word. There's a big difference between using it as a term of endearment for a player on your team and yelling 'f off Yiddo' at someone on the street.
  5. Jaggeh Active Member

Jaggeh
    Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -0
    Yid comes from the German word Jude (YOO-d). Jude is German for Jew. English is a Germanic language. (My name is Jude :))
    Tottenham is well known to have had a large Jewish population. There's the connection.

In the English footballing world, yids are widely known name for spurs supporters.

The problem is that currently, Yid is considered a derogatory word for a Jew (according the the vocal minority). It may be a bastardisation of a Jewish word used as an insult or it may have been used casually, with no offence meant or taken once. Who knows? Languages evolve independently over time anyway but now globalization and the internet is speeding up the process.

Personally, I don't consider it offensive - but I'm not a Jew. However, out of respect for those that do take offence, I try not to use it.
  6. BWFC1986 New Member

BWFC1986
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    The story I have always been told is that back in the 1900's we played on a pitch that backed onto a pig farm. When players would clear the ball it would land in the pig pens and people would have to "trott" through the pens to get the ball.

Im not sure how true that is but it's the only explanation I have ever heard or been told.
  7. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,670 / 13 / -0
    We own the term Yid , as such if we own it then you cannot use it against us as a derogatory comment , cos that is what we call ourselves .

We along with many other clubs have a generous proportion of Jewish supporters , along with Arsenal , Chelsea , the Manchester clubs , Leeds , Ajax and many more .

Simples !
    • Like Like x 2
  8. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,557 / 16 / -0
    This comes up from time to time.

9. steventhfc New Member

steventhfc
    Ratings:
    +683 / 0 / -0
    You learn something new everyday [MENTION=9616]BWFC1986[/MENTION] :)
  10. andyid1964 Active Member

andyid1964
    Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    andyid1964 < totally non religious, half english christian/half italinan catholic... 100% tottenham yid!
  11. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    And we should be eternally grateful to E. L. Sprylions, who of course wasn't Jewish.
  12. Tott_BeBop Well-Known Member

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +421 / 0 / -0
    If anyone ever wants to look deeper in to it, Ajax also has the same story as us, they are proud to call them selves as a Jewish club and rumour has it that Johan Cruyff would only allow Kosher food to be brought in to the dressing room on game days. Now thats a Yid for ya.
  13. Wotspur I'm Only a poor little Yiddo, ..... Donator

Wotspur
    Ratings:
    +1,045 / 2 / -0
    Didn't know that, but on Sat, after the abandonment of the game, whilst walking back up the high road to 7 Sisters,I popped into "The Spurs Lodge" ? - the newish pub there, and there was graffitti in the toilet, "Ajax and Spurs brothers in arms" or similar, thought it a bit weird, but within 3 days, heres the answer - thanks
  14. Tott_BeBop Well-Known Member

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +421 / 0 / -0
    no problem mate, it all stems from the war an deportation of the Jews from Amsterdam I just remembered as well. Rotterdam and other clubs would come to Ajax and start making anti semetic chants and gas chamber noises, to which the Ajax fans banded together through pride of their multicultural city and hit back. Youll even see stars of david at the Ajax games
  15. Tott_BeBop Well-Known Member

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +421 / 0 / -0
    Heres a the explanation from the wiki site

16. Jaggeh Active Member

Jaggeh
    Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -0
    So yeah, touchy subject :)
  17. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,470 / 108 / -3
    The word 'Yid' used to be associated with racist/antisemetic views, but Spurs supporters have turned that around, it is now associated with pride - that has to be good I think? Maybe some folks still find it offensive, but I think, like most words it's not the actual word used that causes the problem it's the way it is used - 'Queer', can be used as an insult, but many members of the Gay community have adopted it and use the word with pride. There are many other examples - but I ain't going anywhere near the more controversial ones!
  18. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,312 / 2 / -0
    Not entirely true. Stamford Hill (just down the road from Seven Sisters if you still consider it as 'Tottenham'.) is still an area with a high concentration of Jews, in fact the largest 'Chasidic Jewish' community in Europe!

It lies between Haringey (Tottenham's London borough) and Hackney.

But yes [MENTION=7690]Londonspecial[/MENTION] is pretty spot on about the term 'yid'. It used to be a derogatory term fired at us by other clubs due to the number of Jews living in and supporting Tottenham. However, over time, Spurs fans took the term as their own to neutralise the racial connotation and so make those other fans come up with something else to offend them with. I don't think they came up with much after that.
  19. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,470 / 108 / -3
    What about that terrible word the scum use, I apologise to anyone who is deeply offended by this word, but we must all learn to deal with the pain caused by this hurtful insult..........yes, I mean 'spud'. I need a lie down now to get over this!
    • Like Like x 3
  20. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,312 / 2 / -0
    Is this sarcasm? Spud doesn't bother me, unless it's coming from the derogatory version of 'vegetable'...
  21. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,312 / 2 / -0
    They still are Jewish you know ;)

I'm going to take a stab at this:

The name Bolton Wanderers must mean some form of rearing horses who 'wander' around their fields. Recently I was made aware of people who still rear horses in their local areas up north, and these horses 'wander' or 'trot'. Horses and carriages are still in use stemming from centuries of tradition aren't they?
  22. jonspurs New Member

jonspurs
    Ratings:
    +936 / 0 / -0
    Such a shit 'insult' lmao
  23. Siberian Dreamer New Member

Siberian Dreamer
    Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    I love spuds (love spuds?).
    • Like Like x 1
  24. miamiwhite New Member

miamiwhite
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Bolton Wanderers started out as Christ Church but didn't have a pitch of their own hence wandered around playing their fixtures. That changed in 1877 when we got our own pitch,i think at pikes lanes,before moving to Burnden Park in in the 1890's....my fondest memory of a Bolton v Spurs game was in '77,in the old 2nd division. We were top,spurs were 2nd. the entire ground was singing Queens ''we are the champions''. Bolton ended up winning courtesy of a last minute goal by our midfield stalwart Roy Greaves. Any of the posters on this forum present that day ?