Wigan Athletic vs. Tottenham Hotspur (Official Match Thread)

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by BigDub, Sep 21, 2011.

1. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,451 / 36 / -0
    Absolutely must keep the momentum going and get three points from this one.

Use this thread for all pre-match, in-match, and post-match discussion

COYS!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Quick stat- if we win this (and we should, Wigan are not as hard to break down as Stoke, as they attempt to play something like football) , that will be 9 points from 5 games. And that is 2 points above Liverpool's stats and 5 points above Arsenal's. So effectively if we win this then we'll already be leading the race for 4th if we hadn't had the Everton game called off and we may even lead it with a game in hand, depending how Liverpool fare vs. Wolves.

Add to that the fact that we have gotten the 2 hardest games out of the way, and that after Arsenal, it's
    Newcastle away (1)
    Blackburn away (3)
    QPR home (the much-awaited return of Adel Taraabt) (3)
    Fulham away (1)
    Villa home (3)
    WBA away (3)
    Bolton home (3)
    Stoke away (0)
    Sunderland home (3)
    Chelsea home (0)
    Norwich, Swansea away.(6)

And then it's January transfer window time.

So theoretically I see us getting... 9+26 which is 35 points by Jan. Could be anywhere from 28-40 depending on results IMO. That should leave us in and around 4th, possibly 4th leading or maybe 6th depending on other's form. That's pretty good.

But for that to happen, we must win games like this- even if it's away. The Wigans, Blackburns, Boltons, and West Broms have to be wins for us to achieve 4th.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    If we don't win this...ill keep supporting Spurs but still be pretty pissed off!
    Javi,
    • Like Like x 1
  4. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    None of this 0-0 bullshit this time around please.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. orlandospursfan Active Member

orlandospursfan
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if there will be a partnership between Gallas and King for this match. It seems that the squad is getting back to full strength and that is great since we are running into a very vital run of games ([MENTION=7449]AmericanHotspur[/MENTION], thanks for pointing that out).
  6. Musashi Well-Known Member

Musashi
    Ratings:
    +997 / 0 / -0
    Good news for us is that Rodallega is out for three months.
  7. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,451 / 36 / -0
    That is good news. I certainly dont expect this to be scoreless. Would like to see the Ade/JD partnership maintained with VDV on the right. Niko might have to drop to the bench for this one, but would have no problem if he did play.

-----------Freidel-----------
    -Walker-King-Kaboul-BAE-
    -VDV--Parker-Modric--Bale-
    ------Adebayor--Defoe------
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JacoZA Well-Known Member

JacoZA
    Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    I must agree. I feel that these matches, even more than matches against the clubs "above" us, are the most important matches of this season. This is where we shot ourselves in the foot. We HAVE TO win against the Wigans of the world - home or away. No point in taking points from our two direct rivals if we throw it away against "lesser" clubs.
  9. liam Well-Known Member

liam
    Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Thats the line up I would start with to. I think we'll win this one and play some nice footy to. Having struggled in games like this last season I think the players will be alot more determined to get the win and now we have Ade instead of Crouch I think we can be safe in the knowledge that we have a targetman who can either score or bring others into the game with hold up play, this will make a massive difference over a whole season.
    liam,
  10. Oaks New Member

Oaks
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Been to Stoke the last 2 seasons and won 2-1. If we play anything like we did vs Liverpool Stoke will not be a problem. I plan for a hattrick of Stoke wins
    Oaks,
  11. contrast Welcome back Contrast!

contrast
    Ratings:
    +2,797 / 6 / -0
    We lost to Stoke last night . . .
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TehLondoner New Member

TehLondoner
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    We have an easy run of games now, which has been stated so fourth by January isn't a tough ask.

We should win this and put out a formation like.

Walker-Kaboul/Gallas-King-BAE

Kranjcar/VDV-Parker-Modric-Bale

Ade-Defoe

I would like to see Gallas start ahead of kaboul although his form has been pretty good. I would like to see Kranjcar start ahead of vdv as Kranjcar has been playing superbly, although Harry will probably play VDV out of habit. Want to see sandro subbed on for Parker during the game and see how he plays wih Modric.

3-0 Ade 2 Defoe 1
  13. TehLondoner New Member

TehLondoner
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Tottenham Reserves versus Stoke....
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Oaks New Member

Oaks
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    In a game we take 100% seriously
    Oaks,
  15. BrumSpur Well-Known Member

BrumSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,742 / 3 / -0
    Folks, you can count Niko out of this one. He isn't going to be fit (hamstring strain). He MIGHT be ready for the Shamrock Rovers game (29th Sept) or the North London derby (Oct 2nd).
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  16. contrast Welcome back Contrast!

contrast
    Ratings:
    +2,797 / 6 / -0
    So why are you talking about Stoke when we are playing Wigan?

Confused.
  17. TehLondoner New Member

TehLondoner
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Don't Worry we have Adebayor, he can play in all positions.
  18. Oaks New Member

Oaks
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    In reference to the original starting post saying we won't win there.

Anyway watching Wigan not create any real chances versus a poor Everton side we can look to push on and destroy them with strikers who actually have started scoring compared to the poor excuse of goals last season!
    Oaks,
  19. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,466 / 108 / -3
    I don't know why I, but I am always nervous when Spurs play Wigan. Looking at the PL stats over the last 6 years, we've won 5, drawn 5 and lost 2, so there's not really a reason for my nervousness. My wife offered to take me to the Lane on my birthday (skint now so can only go on special occasions) in 2009 to see Spurs v Wigan, but I said no, I'd be too jittery! What a twat! 9-1! 9 fcuking 1!

Spurs WILL win ( 1-3 ) but I will need a glass or two to calm my nerves!
    • Like Like x 2
  20. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,451 / 36 / -0
    Yeah....we have had some trouble with Wigan recently. Still hard not to come up with a "we should batter this bottoM-of-the-table coonts" sort of mindset. :D
  21. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    --------------------Friedel--------------------

Walker-------King------Gallas-------BAE

VDV---------Parker-----Modric------Bale

-------------Adebayor---Defoe-----------

If he's fit, I'd have no objection to Kranjcar over Van der Vaart on the right. Other than that and Gallas of course, I don't want to see any changes from Liverpool.

I don't want Harry to start trying to accommodate Sandro and Parker in the same centre midfield while this team/formation is doing so well.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Prediction: Wigan 0-2 Spurs (Defoe, Adebayor)

COYS!

• Like Like x 1
  22. perstrame Well-Known Member

perstrame
    Ratings:
    +567 / 0 / -0
    That's why I'd keep Kaboul in defence
  23. Sraew Well-Known Member

Sraew
    Ratings:
    +597 / 0 / -0
    I'd prefer to see Niko on over VDV, he's starting to really grate at me, I can't put my finger on it, though.

Again, basically agree with most of what's been posted, 3-0 Spurs, Ade, Ade, Parker. Will be a tough game and none of those goals will come easy, but they will come.

1 last "hard" game before a run which we should rule, sign Damiao in January and boom, the Premier League title is ours, sorted!
  24. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    You may be right....but since Gallas has been here I'm not sure he's partnered Ledley King in defence more than once.

The thought of that partnership makes me :eek:16: slightly!
    • Like Like x 1
  25. liam Well-Known Member

liam
    Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Premier League Title!!!!!!!!!!:117:

Whats that?
    liam,
  26. Sraew Well-Known Member

Sraew
    Ratings:
    +597 / 0 / -0
    It's where our players sponsor a certain aspect of Fifa and the FA, and, in return on the sly, have Premier League before their name.
  27. liam Well-Known Member

liam
    Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Okaly Dokaly
    liam,
  28. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    There are no easy games in this league, just opposition that we should be able to beat but have struggled to in seasons past.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    Good post @AmericanHotspur but tbh i would be disappointed to lose to chelsea at home and stoke away. As long as we can keep winning at home and pick up points away, we should have a good chance.

@BrumSpur Harry said Niko is doubtful not definitely out but i expect rafa to start regardless.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. BrumSpur Well-Known Member

BrumSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,742 / 3 / -0
    I was just about to quote my own post, because obviously, no-one took any notice of it, the first time!!

Niko is definitely out of this one. He isn't going to be fit (hamstring strain). He MIGHT be ready for the Shamrock Rovers game (29th Sept) or the North London derby (Oct 2nd).

A news story appeared on a reliable Croatian site, yesterday afternoon. The national team's doctor is concerned that Niko might not be ready for their important game vs Greece on October 7th. Here's a translation of part of the article:

The staff of the national team will gather on 2nd October at Zagreb's Sheraton Hotel, but the team will then move into its pre-match base, the Slovenian Čateške spa. They will be there for 4 days, doing 4 training sessions & testing, looking particularly at the injured players. They will leave for Piraeus the day before the game (which is on 7th October).

There is no doubt that in these four days of preparation the greatest attention will be directed towards Niko Kranjčar who, in his last game for Tottenham Hotspur (home win against Liverpool 4-0), suffered a nasty injury, stretching his hamstring. It is an injury that doesn't require a long recovery, but only if properly medically treated. Niko thinks he will be out for 10 days, but doctors suggest that the injury may need a two week break. Therefore, we sought a medical opinion from the national team doctor, Dr. Jurica Rakic.

"I hear from Niko every day. He is confident that he will be quite ready for Piraeus and the match against Greece. It's great that he feels so positive, but in terms of the injury, it could be easily aggravated by regular, lightweight training. So, at the Čateške spa, he will have special treatment. Kranjčar is integral to the plans of Slaven Bilic for the match against Greece, and we will therefore work with him in particular. We will monitor it, and if he does the last two full training sessions, he will be up for selection. I am optimistic, but we must be careful, "Rakic ​​said.

• Like Like x 1