Wilfried Zaha

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by wilson, Aug 25, 2016.

1. wilson Active Member

wilson
    Ratings:
    +256 / 5 / -0
    Well this one has come out of nowhere... Few places reporting we are in talks with Crystal Palace to sign him for around £15m. On paper he seems to fit the profile of player we are looking for - Cheap (in today's market), still only 23 so young, premiership experience. Also worth noting he has 4 years left on his contract so, again, the price isn't too bad all things considered. However, it is questionable as to whether he will live up to his potential that he showed before moving to Man Utd and kick on to become someone who has more than just raw talent.

Wonder whether this changes anything in the N'Koudou deal or if it doesn't affect it at all? Might just be a way to get Marseille to stop mucking us around and get the deal finished or we will look elsewhere... Wondering whether people would rather Zaha for £15m and move on N'Jie on a permanent, or N'Koudou for £11m including N'Jie on loan? Or have both and sell Chadli as well as N'Jie going?

Tottenham in talks with Crystal Palace over Wilfried Zaha transfer - Sky sources | Football News | Sky Sports

Tottenham consider £15m move for Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha | Daily Mail Online

(Had to start a new thread as the existing Zaha thread is locked, feel free to move this mods)
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. SpursIsTheWord Active Member

SpursIsTheWord
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    This has to be political as it really doesn't make sense at all. Zaha is mediocre, too wasteful & predictable... Even worse than Townsend! Would rather keep Nacer, at least he's got an eye for goal
  3. OHT2 Well-Known Member

OHT2
    Ratings:
    +1,026 / 14 / -0
    Where's the suicide smilie? :eek:

More seriously, i don't see the sense of this if its true. He's a slightly worse Lennon and we deemed him not good enough for us.

If its true, hopefully Poch can work his magic on him. :(
    OHT2,
  4. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Spot on.

Why waste our money on such player when we have better options in Chadli and Son even on the bench (not to mention the starting XI players who are lightyears apart from his quality)
  5. Rev John Ripsher Super Moderators

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +5,687 / 28 / -0
    I was at the game last Saturday and was also of the opinion that he was not good enough for Palace, let alone us.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. wilson Active Member

wilson
    Ratings:
    +256 / 5 / -0
    It does seem like a bit of a backward step if he ends up being a replacement of Chadli.

That's why I'd imagine it's either being used to get the N'Koudou deal moving quicker or instead of. So therefore Zaha being a replacement for N'Jie not Chadli.

Also if it's as well as N'Koudou could we not just sell N'Jie (if he's surplus) for say £7m conservatively, and add in the N'Koudou/Zaha cash we wouldn't spend (£26m) to buy someone that could actually challenge the attackers in our team. We'd have £33m to spend on that player without even selling Chadli! Ah, if only the world worked like Football Manager haha.
  7. Filips Member

Filips
    Ratings:
    +53 / 5 / -0
    I thought he looked quite ok against us tbh.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    Don't usually respond to early speculation, rumor or Sky Sports sources. But if true, this is terrible to even think about. I'd have rather gone for Bolasie than Zaha, but suspect he's more in our price range this summer. I'm guessing it would mean the Nkoudou deal was really dead in the water, and we're now attempting to get any wide man for under 15mill. Really hope this is untrue, I really don't rate Zaha at all.
  9. BigDub Leg end !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +5,657 / 45 / -0
    He's not really very good at football
  10. Airfixx Well-Known Member

Airfixx
    Ratings:
    +1,769 / 30 / -0
    Click. Sigh. Leave. : (
  11. StripiestPilot Well-Known Member

StripiestPilot
    Ratings:
    +5,073 / 77 / -0
    He scored 2 goals last season, fewer than some of our defenders. He is not good enough and I would rather have Chadli than him. I genuinely think Andros Townsend is better than him, this signing would make no sense, the boy has no brain.
  12. Hazza Well-Known Member

Hazza
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 20 / -0
    Not of the required quality.
  13. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,555 / 25 / -0
    He spent a year at Utd in one of their worst seasons ever getting just two games ... the lad was destroyed with Moyes loaning him to feckin' Cardif ... admittedly he hasn't done much in the last two years at Palace ... but at 23 he may yet come good .... his record is very similar to Bale's at the same age, Bale had two and a half 'flat' seasons with us, maybe 2016-7 will be his Zaha's break out year ... for 15m why not ... can't lose much .... and under Poch he just might come good ....
  14. kinkygerbils Well-Known Member

kinkygerbils
    Ratings:
    +2,057 / 69 / -0
    Is he even as good as Townsend?

Stinks of desperation, but a new setting may do him good....
  15. Havocc Well-Known Member

Havocc
    Ratings:
    +3,448 / 53 / -3
    At United, he looked like a deer in the headlights...looked like he couldn't handle big club pressure

Also, I agree he does not seem much of an upgrade on Townsend. Interesting one if this develops further
  16. StripiestPilot Well-Known Member

StripiestPilot
    Ratings:
    +5,073 / 77 / -0
    Christ, now his agent is saying we've offered £15m, please let this be a Levy smokescreen.
  17. wilson Active Member

wilson
    Ratings:
    +256 / 5 / -0
    On a side note, head over to some of the Palace fan forums for a laugh or two! A lot of them saying they would hand their season ticket back if they sold Zaha, that it won't happen, that it's as heartbreaking as when Ian Wright left and that he's definitely worth £30-40m haha. Not sure what they've been smoking but I don't think £15m is unreasonable at all. Hasn't lived up to his hype since his first spell at Palace imo.
  18. kinkygerbils Well-Known Member

kinkygerbils
    Ratings:
    +2,057 / 69 / -0
    He scored 2 League goals last year

Townsend got 4

I am not saying we should regret selling Townsend, but stats wise its a downgrade
  19. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    This is one of them (possible) transfers that could bite those who critise it in the bee-hind, and make those who applaud it look silly.....what I'm trying to say really is, Utd didn't buy him for no reason? there had to be a quality footballer in there somewhere right? But then there is his track record, not that impressive at all? Really a 50/50 outcome with this one, infact Zaha is the definition of potential that's for sure, certainly has the ability but can he produce it, that's the million dollar question??
    If any truth in this at all, it tells me 2 things, 1 the management team obviously think we need players? (which I think they have actually confirmed) And 2 it has a hint of desperation about it, by that I mean surely from the end of last season Zaha wasn't an initial target? If he was that deal would have been done a lot sooner not in the last week, so it suggests other targets have passed us bye....so would I sign him? Well if 15m is our financial capability then I can think of worse players to spend it on, and just hope the real Zaha turns up!!
  20. kinkygerbils Well-Known Member

kinkygerbils
    Ratings:
    +2,057 / 69 / -0

Who is the real Zaha though? - that sounds deep

He was brought on the back of a decent Championship season.

Would argue a couple of better players went for less this summer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Zarathustra
    Ratings:
    +4,674 / 61 / -0
    Sky Sports News HQ understands Wilfried Zaha has met with Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew and has informed him of his desire to leave the club.
  22. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,568 / 46 / -0
    He's unremittingly shi.te.
  23. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,568 / 46 / -0
    He's unremittingly shi.te.
  24. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    Party animal. I can't see how he fits.
  25. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,555 / 25 / -0
    At Utd he started the Charity shield and just two league games ... Moyes never wanted him (signed a year before but loaned back to Palace as part of the deal) and shipped him off to Cardiff at the first opportunity .... fair to say he was never given a chance and clearly his confidence was shot ....

This is a 24 year old with buckets of EPL experience, even if he's a complete blow out he's probably worth a punt at 15m ... he may have done little in three years but at 20 this kid was feckin' good .... he's never been a goal scorer he's an out an out winger .... I'd give him a chance ....
    • Like Like x 1
  26. pa_lilywhite Active Member

pa_lilywhite
    Ratings:
    +115 / 1 / -0
    He's twice as shi.te as that
  27. Hazza Well-Known Member

Hazza
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 20 / -0
    Why would they accept £15m? He's English with 4 years left n his contract! This deal suits neither club in my opinion.
  28. Achtung Spurs Well-Known Member

Achtung Spurs
    Ratings:
    +3,103 / 32 / -0
    If Poch actually wants him then this would be the first time I'm left questioning his decision.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. corroded Well-Known Member

corroded
    Ratings:
    +1,053 / 3 / -0
    I really hope this is horseshit.

I'd rather play our youth than him. He's not good enough for any top half Prem side.
  30. Airfixx Well-Known Member

Airfixx
    Ratings:
    +1,769 / 30 / -0
    Depending on how many "punts" we can afford each window, I'd staunchly argue that he isn't.

Just another '1 great performance every 6 - 10 games' kind of player like Bolasie.

EDIT: Reading the response already would it be safe to say this would be our most unpopular signing for some time?
  31. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Well I honestly can't answer who the real Zaha is to be fair, all I can say is the young player from a few years ago with so much potential and just hope that kid turns up with the right attitude to succeed.....
    Better players going for less? Maybe, maybe not but you could be right, but my point really was, if 15m or something near that region is our budget then what do you really expect for that kind of coin these days? So Zaha (with the right attitude of course) is probably as good as it gets to be honest?