Wilfried Zaha

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by wilson, Aug 25, 2016.

1. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    You're jumping the gun quite a bit there. While those are pretty staggering figures for those players at those clubs, they will not be the norm at Palace or West Brom. Far from it, in fact.

Also, for a "mass exodus" to actually occur we would need clubs willing and able to match our valuations for all of our key players and their wage demands PLUS be an attractive enough proposition to make the move. Our first XI are not going to be jumping at the chance of a switch to the Hawthorns, even if they're mates with Chadli.

Sure, we'll likely have enquiries and bids from some big sides, but we are absolutely not losing everybody.

Our players like playing for Spurs, for Poch and for each other.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +433 / 17 / -0
    Ok i agree...I was obviously being over-dramatic. But....say Dele sees his mate Eric go to United. We're a close knit squad who all buy into Poch's philosophy and vision for the club. All it takes is one of two to leave and that will unsettle the squad. I'd feel that way in their shoes, and i think it's inevitable.

And re the wages part...if i were Harry Kane or Dele or Eriksen, i'd be a bit peeved if Troy Deeney or Zaha were getting paid the same as me, simple as that!
  3. PhildoVT Active Member

PhildoVT
    Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -0
    That's not what anyone is saying. The smaller pitch definitely helps when you're trying to play our compact style, though.
  4. PhildoVT Active Member

PhildoVT
    Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -0
    This will eventually happen if we don't adapt. We seem to have the roughly the same arbitrary wage ceiling as we did in 2010, yet the money the club brings in from TV revenue has increased drastically over the that period (not to mention money from CL qualification). If not flat out increasing salaries, we should be adding significant CL qualification bonuses into our players' contracts.

No one could have predicted how quickly our revenue stream would increase this decade when we started planning for the new stadium, nor could assume that we'd be qualifying for the CL on a regular basis. We have the money we need to keep our best players... now is the time to spend it.
  5. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 27 / -0
    I see us increasing our wages to 150k gbp in the next year or two.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I really think we'd be better off doing it sooner rather than later. It's more important to hold on to who we have than it is to bring in anyone else. Another Deli Alli for 5 million would be fine! But big money for a big money signing would be a waste compared to spending that money on wages. We're a top level team now and we can't be paying half of what other teams pay.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    Its getting to that time of year again when ridiculous rumours appear and people pretend to know who we are going to sign.

Zaha would be a great signing for us imo but did we miss the boat last season when a fee of around 35 million was deemed far too much by some. We were looking at paying 15 - 20 million.

Id say Palace would demand at least 50 million.
    Dave,
  8. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Exclusive: Spurs Putting Finishing Touches To Zaha Deal - Harry Hotspur

Transfer Talk: Tottenham agree personal terms for speed machine, Levy wants to strike January move | thisisfutbol.com

They are claiming Spurs have all ready agreed to personal terms with Zaha.

I don't know how I feel about this one. He's not my 1st choice. Probably not even in my top 5 to 10 choices. He's going to cost a pretty penny. He has a poor track record and an inconsistent one.

I feel like this has the chance to turn into something similar to the Sissoko transfer. I have great concerns. As good as Zaha has been at times, I don't know if he's really the type of player we should be going after. It seems like another deal where Spurs settle on a lesser target for various reasons.

Meh.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    I think we almost have to. If we don't we are going to lose players.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 88 / -0
    Brilliant if true - He is the guy who can stretch formations with his pace and flanking runs and create space for Dele and Kane - we currently have noone who can do that apart from Rose who has been injured for donkey years

this guy has pace,trickery and goal-threat in his pocket. As good as Martial for probably half the price
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    For me there's still a ? against him re his consistency (or lack of it at times) but I don't doubt his quality & what he can bring when he's 'at it'.
    Whether we play with 3-4-3, 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 he's certainly a player who can slot in & give us a different & dangerous option in those forward positions.
    If anyone can get a tune out of him regularly then its Poch. He fits our mould so to speak, a relatively young exciting PL player who we can probably get for a decent price & hopefully increase his value.
    Him & Barkley in the Jan window?
    I wouldn't be upset with that at all.
  12. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    A lot of folks don't seem to hold Harry Hotspur as being reliable source.. to put it mildly.
  13. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,767 / 32 / -0
    Great news if true. I know some have doubts about Zaha but if we're talking viable targets within our reach I seriously doubt we can find a better player. What's great about Zaha is that he can play both on the wing and as a striker similarly to Son but Zaha is a much more natural striker than Son is.

I can really see Zaha adding one more dimension to our game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    He'd be a top player imo. We dont have anyone like him. Skillful with pace. He scores a few goals. Maybe fitness isnt great but he doesnt half get booted a lot.

It would be a gamble because hes not a proven top player but if we could flog Rose for similar money, all our Christmases will come at once.
    Dave,
  15. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    As we all know, we can only afford young players or square pegs stuck in round holes. He's a bit of both I'd say. He could be made much better. Or at least there's a good chance of it. I'm sure he's regretting not leaving this summer. Maybe now is his chance.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    I dont see him as an MP type of player, but then again I didnt see Sissoko ............
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    I have similar concerns with him that I had with Sissoko. All though I doubt I would end up hating Zaha as much as I hate Sissoko. Doesn't matter how many good games Sissoko seems to have. He comes out the following game and looks equally as awful. I hate players like that because one minute they make you believe, the team/coach/fans put their trust in them and then they blow a game or at least completely disappoint.

As good as Zaha is, I could see him being inconsistent. I could see him having a terrific game, then starting in an important game and blowing it.

I would almost rather have a player with slightly less upside but one that is consistent game to game.

Yea I see how great Zaha can be at times. I see how dangerous he can be at times. But then I imagine us going to Manchester to play either of those teams, with our hopes of a PL title hinging on the result and MP starting him and he just doesn't show up. Or worse, like Sissoko, just blowing it.

Sissoko has gained the trust and faith of MP to an extent it seems. Sometimes I really have to question why. He has gotten starts and game time over Son which I completely don't understand. I think Son has been such a better player for us for the most part. Sure he's had his bad game here and there. But I don't ever think I've seen him on the pitch and thrown up my hands yelling "WTF is Son doing?" I've done that quite a few times with Sissoko. More than I feel comfortable with. I worry so much that he'l blow the game every time he's out there. There's no way to tell when you'l get a great performance out of him or the complete opposite.
  18. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,555 / 25 / -0
    Will get to Zaha in a bit but to address your comments .....

Sissoko and Son are totally different players ...

Sissoko will touch the ball 35-40 times a game playing from back to front ... he is a 'tank' physically strong in defence and attack, he's not a goal scorer his role is to 'upset' the opposition midfield and create space for our more attacking players ....

Son will touch the ball <20 times a game and 90% of those touches will be in an attacking position, his role is to use his pace to get on the end of our creative midfield's passes, he is a goal scorer ...

There have been several occasions when I've screamed at Son to 'get your head up and pass' but he won't he's a goal scorer and that's what Poch plays him as ... when we want a fluid three upfront we use Eriksen - Dele - Kane all equally happy creating as scoring goals .... it's hard for Son to replace any one of these three as he's not a natural creator ...

Sissoko isn't even considered for that forward role he's a DM, CM or Wingback he's not a striker ....

Whilst you admit to having an irrational hatred of Sissoko you need to understand that the job he is asked to do he is now doing very well ... against RM his physicality was crucial and a big part in creating all the 'space' that our front three took advantage off ... does he have the first touch of a Winks or Dembele? no ... will he play a pass like Eriksen or Dele? no ... but when it comes to a 50/50 header or tackle then Sissoko or Wanyama are the men for the job ....

Zaha has strengths that would slot into our front three ... provides as many assists as he scores goals and could play as a replacement for Kane - Dele - Eriksen in a front three .... just turned 24 he's already got a career of experience ... well worth a punt .....
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    First off, it's not irrational. I never said it was irrational. I would still love to see him sold for a multitude of reasons.

It's very rational. He's one of the most inconsistent performers I have seen. He has only recently began playing well but it's hardly been in a DM/CM role for the most part. There's been games where he was deployed further back but he didn't even stay in those positions throughout most of the games. But even when he has a good game he comes out the next game and looks atrocious. Again, no consistency. You are making it sound like since he started playing well, he continuously played well and that isn't the case.

I agree that SIssoko should be a DM/CM but he has often been played as an AM by Poch and in those games, there could have been a completely different rotation where Son was played and Eriksen, Dele pushed further back. I don't think Sissoko actually has the head to be a real DM/CM or the skill to actually remain central on the pitch. His first touch makes it difficult for him and he needs open space. Part of the problem with Sissoko is I don't think he honestly has a position. Even in games that Sissoko seemingly started out in CM, he often was positioned forward and Eriksen would fall back to take on CM duties in attack. Also, in the RM game, I thought his responsibilities were on the right side from what I remember. I mean the first RM game. He played much more like a winger than a CM/DM.

To say "Sissoko isn't even considered for that forward role he's a DM, CM or Wingback he's not a striker " is only partially correct. He's not a striker no. But he's often played in an AM/Winger role. Maybe sometimes as a sort of Winback. But almost never as real DM. Sometimes as a sort of CM, but never a full time CM as he is terrible in attack as a CM.

What you are saying would be right if Sissoko consistently was deployed as a DM/CM but he's not. From the games I have seen, Poch has mostly deployed him as an AM/Winger and those are generally the games where I think he's at his worst. Now this is going all the way back to last year, he has done better this year but still. And in the games where I would much prefer to see Son. If Eriksen has to often step back and play as a CM when SIssoko is out there, then he could probably just as easily do so with Son up front. More likely though I would have liked to see Dele deployed as the CM.

I think he's best utilized as DM/CM but that is certainly not the only position he has been put on the field at. In fact I would say that is the position he has been deployed in the least by Poch. When Dele began to get used as CM more recently even, Sissoko was on the field and most of the time was in front of Dele. All though he would often fall back to almost be in line with Dele and I think it was Winks or Dier. I forget now. But it was almost as if we had 3 CMs out there at those times.

It doesn't matter if they are totally different players. In games where Sissoko was used as an AM/Winger/RM, Son could have just as easily been used as an AM. And Eriksen or Dele could have been deployed behind them having to do a lot of what they had to do anyway with Sissoko in there.

Sissoko is pretty good defensively in a CM role. But he's horrible attacking in a CM role. That's usually why Eriksen had to take on those deeper CM responsibilities when the team was in attack and Sissoko would utilize his speed and charge forward. It makes sense on paper sure. Looking at Sissoko's attributes. But again, there is little to no consistency to his performances. I still would absolutely be ok with seeing him sold. Aside from a handful of games, he has provided very little that we couldn't find elsewhere.

It just so happens that when he has a good game, it's often a terrific game and his attributes shine. But it's still been too scarce in my opinion. Also, if he actually was a real DM/CM then he would have been used there more often when Dembele and Wanyama were both out. All though Sissoko and Wanyama both are strong and relatively fast, they play a completely different way. I don't think Sissoko has near the composure, patients or football IQ that Wanyama has. And I've NEVER actually seen a game where Sissoko was the full time DM on the field. He's always being rotated with other players on the field because his game is such a mish mash of styles.

His actual best position is probably as a free range player. Where he gets to have the ball more often and make charging runs and can bounce from one end of the field to the other. A very loose and open style. Something he really can't do as much with this Spurs team for numerous reasons.

If you look at heat maps and other maps of Sissoko's play. He rarely is in, or at least he rarely stays in those positions a CM/DM would play. Maybe a RM. But not really a CM. I think he needs open space in order to be really useful. I don't think he's at all that good in tighter spaces that our actual CMs have to deal with. Like Dembele, or now Winks. Even Eriksen and Dele are better as CM for the most part. Because they are better in tight spaces.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  20. finchbee Well-Known Member

finchbee
    Ratings:
    +1,479 / 66 / -0
    Was pretty lively....I am starting to believe he would be a good signing
  21. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,142 / 35 / -0
    Do not want. Can't even score on an empty net.:whistle:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    Was shocking. He's a professional footballer, isn't he? Like, he receives a paycheck every week to play football. This is what he does for a living. Even Sissoko could've passed that ball into the back of the net.
  23. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    I think if would have offered something to our squad last summer, but I think we are much more likely to buy Sancho from BVB. For some reason the deal with us fell through, but I suspect that was more to do with City making it very hard for us. I can't see Sancho staying in Germany for long and I doubt his parents would have let him join a foreign club without a realistic buy out clause. I doubt anyone would be surprised to see him join us for around 20 million euros next summer and therefore, I can't see our interest remaining in Zaha.
  24. Del Boy N17 Active Member

Del Boy N17
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -0
    I've been saying it for the last 2 seasons, I truly believe Zaha could be that player that wins us the league, he proved again yesterday he was the best player on the pitch & to his credit worked his absolute socks off for his team, a front 4 of Zaha, Eriksen, Alli & Kane would be phenomenal imo, I'm still hoping we sign him in the summer, great talent & very realistic signing
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. aimson Active Member

aimson
    Ratings:
    +227 / 9 / -0
    My first reaction was "those rumours of us agreeing personal terms must be true!" :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Seriously ? I never thought I might read something like "I truly believe Zaha could be that player that wins us the league" . I mean Zaha...
    True, he worked a lot. And run a lot. But that is it. Sometimes I am thinking - am I in football forum or athletics forum. Bcause I see surprisingly many running fans. End product does not seem to be to important, until the running is fast.

Zaha will not become the player that fits into our gameplan. He will remain "decent PL level footballer" but suggesting he would be difference that would bring us title(s) is beyond ridiculous for me. It is SO darn easy to see player running and shining for couter-attacking team and think "oh, he would come to us and do the same" - but NO. He cannot do the same he is doing for Palace for us, as we have so much less room on the field...
  27. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    Great pace, but his end product is not good enough. Would he improve with us, well, that's the 64 dollar question.
  28. Del Boy N17 Active Member

Del Boy N17
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -0
    Trust me the boy is class & can be that "Mane" type signing we are after, people knock him for his end product but when fit he's consistently their best player week in week out & would flourish in our team, poch would take him to a completely new level imo
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Sorry but I don't buy it.
    It does not work so easy that "look, here is offencive talent for weak side, look how he shines there, he would help us a lot" - as I said it is so extremely different being talented attacker for lousy side and top side. Difference is lot smaller with defensive players as they get more "practice" as they have to do lot more defending with weaker sides.

Also, "being consistently best player" for Crystal Palace is not saying much. It is like saying "Oh, he is tall! He is the tallest midget in the world!" about guy who is 163 cm's. And another thing - I dont think that even you would suggest that even you would suggest that he is better then Eriksen and Alli?!? If not he will not be able to constantly play. And if he will not constantly play, will Poch have such a huge effect on him?

In my view the guy has not proved enough. If we aim to be top side, I rather see us take chances on young players with high ceilings than proven mediocrity.
  30. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    I like Zaha & think Poch could get a lot out of him but I'd rather us take Demarai Gray from Leicester City tbh.
    Blistering pace, can play down either wing or at no10, young & last of all home grown & English.
    Would be a great signing for cos potentially I reckon he can be even better than Citeh's 2 flyers Stirling & Sane.
    Him along with Barkley & Sessegnon.
    Nice