Wilson Palacios in a nutshell?

Discussion in 'Player Chat' started by spursman18, Sep 16, 2010.

1. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    LEO'S LONDON: Wilson Palacios giving Spurs a problem | Mail Online

Wilson Palacios came to Tottenham's rescue when they were in trouble two seasons ago and the club have been grateful ever since.
    But the Honduran now has a lot to do if his demotion to the bench on Tuesday is not to be the beginning of the end for him at White Hart Lane.
    Harry Redknapp's preamble to the club's big Champions League night at Werder Bremen was all about 'snatching a point' and not committing 'suicide'.

He even went for an unfamiliar 4-5-1 formation, the type that is traditionally anchored by a defensive, holding midfielder.
    Yet Spurs' established player in that position, the man they paid Wigan £12million for to fulfill that role, was among the substitutes.
    Even when the breathtaking supremacy which had given them a two-goal lead waned and they conceded, Palacios was not called upon.
    It seemed like the classic time to try to shore things up but Redknapp kept him on the bench.

Palacios eventually came on with 14 minutes left and even then he was shunted out to the right wing, where he could do little damage.
    If the alarm bells are not ringing for him yet, he really should get his hearing checked. They have been sounding at the club for some time (they already have a replacement in the making in Sandro) because Palacios no longer looks up to the job he was bought for.

In a struggling team trying to fight their way clear of relegation, he was a revelation. Just what they needed.
    But as Spurs have moved up the Premier League and raised their standards he has struggled to keep up.

Palacios is not the disciplined player who keeps the ball moving, who gets the team rolling from the back in the way Claude Makelele used to at Chelsea.
    He is not the robust and dominating player in possession in the middle of the park like the Frenchman's successor, John Mikel Obi, is becoming. Yet neither is he a lung-busting, omnipresent midfielder such as Michael Essien.
    The comparisons with Chelsea players are relevant because they, more than anyone in the Premier League, have made the holding role work.

At its best it is both destructive and constructive simultaneously, but Palacios' positional play, his touch, timing and pace are no longer good enough to demand a pivotal role in the higher echelons of English, never mind European, football.
    Redknapp knew that Marko Marin would be Werder Bremen's danger player on Tuesday night and that he would operate in the territory of a defensive midfielder.
    But he went instead for the more offensive and energetic midfield skills of Jermaine Jenas. The way Palacios has been playing, he had little other choice.

I know the guy has been through a lot, with his brother being murdered and all. His form as well all have stated has dipped, perhaps he looked so good coming in when we were struggling and now the squad has progressed that it has overpassed his ability? Just a thought
  2. melbourne_spur Well-Known Member

melbourne_spur
    Ratings:
    +287 / 0 / -0
    He just seems to panic everytime he is on the ball, and just tries to play an impossible pass or a suicidal back pass. I think he just needs to time to get his head together, then hopefully he returns as the big willy we have come to love;)
  3. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,670 / 13 / -0
    Well done spursman . You see , these are the kind of objective posts that I like to read . Not that I agree with everything you say ( perish the thought ! ) but a well written , well formulated composition . As opposed to the " ****** ( fill in the dots ) is shit , get rid of him " kind of offering , far too often seen on here .

Cheers .
  4. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Well Rev, I cant take credit for it its from the Daily Mail (apart from the last bit, thats all mine :y6:)....but I thought it was a good read on his current form.
  5. CorLuka Modric New Member

CorLuka Modric
    Ratings:
    +351 / 0 / -0
    Very, very true unfortunately. Can't see him re-finding form unfortunately, but it's become almost tradition at spurs to be out of sorts for a long while before bouncing back.. if you're going to do it willy, do it soon!
  6. kinkygerbils Well-Known Member

kinkygerbils
    Ratings:
    +1,092 / 35 / -0
    If only he could pass he would be a world beater......
  7. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    I'm bumping this so that some on here can read it if they havent......
  8. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,286 / 5 / -0
    He just turns into a massive spaz when he has the ball. He is surrounded by play makers but can't seem to get it to any one of them under even the simplest of circumstances.
  9. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,815 / 33 / -0
    i was dissapointed in him against the bindippers, because he done brillant when he came on against bremen and i thought he might be back to his old self.i said in the match thread that first half was the worst hes played in a spurs shirt by a long way,i wasnt to pleased with the spurs fans cheering when he finally made a pass{cant be good for his confidence},the fact we made 2 subs saved him fromthe hook at halftime i reakon,in fairness he done much better second half but i cant help feel hes holding sandro back.i know alot will point to the goal against bolton in relation to sandro but hes learning the league and if you look at modders earily games he was caught out quite a few times till he got up to pace of the league
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,995 / 13 / -0
    Ive read it and tbh some bits i agree with but what its not highlighting is the fact that he hasn't become a bad player over night........

He clearly needs games but have Spurs got the time to risk giving Willy the games he needs, im not sure.

Ive said it time and time again when he does the simple things Willy is a top player but when he gets to far forward it clearly dont suit him. When he sits he's so much of a better player as we saw against the bin dippers in the second half.

I also think he plays better with Hudd next to him........... Modric is amazing player but he's movement is to much for willy to keep up with where as when he plays with Hudd he looks more comfortable imo.
  11. davids01 Well-Known Member

davids01
    Ratings:
    +193 / 1 / -0
    He probably needs to go on loan in the championship to gain confidense but it won't happen.
  12. Gareth Well-Known Member

Gareth
    Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

Where the hell has this Palacios gone???
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  13. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +666 / 2 / -0
    The WHL faithful NEED to start getting behind Willy and try to give him a confidence boost by cheering for him during games. I know his passing isn't the best, but with THudd out for a while he seems to be the man to come into that holding / def. midfielder role.
    The booing focused on him and then finally cheering when he made a good pass surely isn't good for his confidence. He puts his all out there for the squad and was certainly was a big factor in getting us out of the relegation zone and up the table a couple seasons ago. Is it too much to ask of us to get behind him and try to boost his confidence while he is on the pitch rather than making him feel like an outcast? I feel it is the very least we can do for the guy.
    If he works on his passing, which he most probably has been in training, he could be a GREAT defensive midfielder / cover for THudd and would be a great player for us if we ever employed a 4-5-1.
  14. Scarlotti Well-Known Member

Scarlotti
    Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I was a huge fan of Wilson and argued on these boards that he was a world class midfield destroyer.

However, since the discovery of his murdered brothers body, he has been a shadow of the player he was - which is quite understandable.

I'm not sure what Harry can do to get the best out of him in future - must be a hell of a difficult task!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    I think having wilson in the squad is ok because he does shut the game out quite well with 15 mins to go. However he just isn't good enough to start he wins the ball and then just doesnt know what to do with it. Although saying that i was at WHL for the bremen game and i thought he was quality but he went from one extreme to the other as he was apalling against liverpool. I wouldnt get rid of him just yet and he did us well as the article said for that first season however now we're more of a footballing team the perfect compromise is tom huddlestone for me who's proving to be a quality player and i've been more and more impressed with jenas this season and i think he may have even jumped above wilson in the pecking order although that's still up for debate and probably depends on the team we play.
  16. glenda Member

glenda
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    My sentiments exactly, He was immense when he came to Spurs, as ive said many times on here, his drop in form and ommission from the team is testament to us leaking goals again.

At his predatory best Big Willy was superb, simplified the anchor roll and gave possession to Hudd, Modd as soon as we took possession.

He's tried to overcomplcate things and tried to play football! We've got another 6 players who are better at that than him.

Lets give him some backing and support.

Will Harry go for Diarra in January? I think so, that anchor roll is vital to us and i think Harrys patience is wearing thin.
  17. ParkLaneMal Well-Known Member

ParkLaneMal
    Ratings:
    +1,526 / 3 / -0
    Wilson had a poor first half at Brum.. His confidence is so down and what is worrying, is other players confidence in Wilson is non existent. I only counted a couple of passes to Wilson and he wasn't making space for passes to be given to him.
    Come the second half and with our away fans doing brilliant with 'Wilson Palacios' chants, the big guy started to string some passes and moves together.
    Give Arry his due he has shown tremendous loyalty to Wilson.
    Well Done you travelling Yids
    • Like Like x 1
  18. THFCWill i love mister ed and can not lie lol

THFCWill
    Ratings:
    +974 / 0 / -0
    Spot on there mate! Was really nice to hear the fans shouting his name after a few mistakes and fouls on him in the first half. He picked it up a little in the second half with a few forward runs.
  19. Mike The Yid noone is getting my pot of gold you *******s

Mike The Yid
    Ratings:
    +560 / 0 / -0
    No doubt the twats like Paul Merson will say we were booing him again.
  20. mattspurz New Member

mattspurz
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    against birmingham he was looking like his old self again IMO! had maybe 1 or 2 bad passes but he won tackles and passed it off right away. Could come good this season afterall!
  21. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    I'm really losing my patience with him, I feel its time to cash in on him in January and bring in a better all around DM. It probably wont happen but he needs to pull his finger out and try to perform on a more consistent level. At least try and do the simple things better when he plays, thats not too much to ask.
  22. mattspurz New Member

mattspurz
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I thought he played ALOT better today vs Birmingham. He got the ball, passed it to modric or someone that can do something with it. I didnt see the last 30mins of the match, but surely he couldn't have played shite compared to the first half. He won a few good tackles and barely lost the ball. I don't know but IMO i thought he played solid today. I have a feeling he will be back at his best in no time.
  23. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Thing is though, right now we have 2 weaknesses in our starting XI the strikers not putting goals away and the DM position. With Tom out until what I'm thinking will be mid March it is going to be an absolute crucial time in the season for us from now until he returns to really have someone playing next to Modric that can do a job for us. Right now I'd go with Jenas when fit since he's performed on a far more consistent basis this season and has shown that he deserves to play ahead of Wilson and Sandro. But between Jan & March I feel that bringing in say a type of player like Diarra for 12 and shipping out Wilson for 8-10 would be a good bit of business. We'll bring in a player who is hungry for games and has a great relationship with Harry, its not that I want to write Wilson completely off because he is a good player on his day but we cant continue to have him playing so inconsistent next to a player like Luka who strives on linking well with a player like Tom next to him.
  24. mattspurz New Member

mattspurz
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    yes well put, its just good to see wilson getting back in his old shoes again. But i would trade diarra for wilson any day of the weak trust me.
  25. NundyYido Well-Known Member

NundyYido
    Ratings:
    +1,748 / 14 / -0
    was terrible , he cant pass , fouls all the time ... needs to learn to make the easy pass and stop delaying his pass and loosing it....

He was ok versus villa but shite before all of that ... he is so inconsistant and today made some poor passes, lost the ball and gave away a needless foul on edge of box from his own mistake...

I know he has it but i think it time to give sandro a run or maybe jenas...to make him fight for his place. Even on tv vs villa the commentator picked up on palacios being our passing weak point..

but today poorr....
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,995 / 13 / -0
    Nundy Go and do one ffs.......
  27. NundyYido Well-Known Member

NundyYido
    Ratings:
    +1,748 / 14 / -0
    why everyone defending him!!???? If it was jenas you would drop a bomb on him... if it was ekotto you would drop a bomb on him..

he was poor FACT!! and a weakpoint in midfield and is not the quality off a tommy huddlestone replacement...

get the coont out and play sandro..
  28. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,995 / 13 / -0

Nundy please mate......He wasn't that bad today!

Against Villa he was one of the best players out there.....I think your being a little harsh mate.

Ok a couple of passes went astray today but other than that not to bad.

He been playing much much better lately and i think your going over board with this tbh.

Maybe im wrong but its just my opinion!!
  29. woody New Member

woody
    Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    he was good the first half but once again got booked for a stupid challenge that ruined it for him

after that you can't trust a player like palacios to go another half without getting booked, but i suppose another idiot got sent off for him...
  30. NundyYido Well-Known Member

NundyYido
    Ratings:
    +1,748 / 14 / -0
    he gave the ball away loads today and then he lost possession , i believe in the sargent but he needs to improve more for me.... needs to make the simple pass more and not delay on the ball so much.

he was poor fact, thats why jenas came on.

i think dropping him next game and giving him competition with jenas would help...