Yannick Bolasie

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by Yid_1984, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo Well-Known Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +7,475 / 47 / -0
    Pardew said: “Yannick is a player who will be linked with other clubs such as Tottenham all the time because he is an exciting player.

“I did not think he was great against Arsenal for a number of reasons but that does not mean to say that he will not be a match winner on Saturday.”

Bolasie, 26, says he won't force a move away form the club.

But he did admit this week that the opportunity to move clubs may be too good to pass up.

"I am a loyal guy, but this is a game and a business. Opportunities to play for a top club do not swing by every day," Bolasie said on Monday.

"You would have to look into it to see if it suits you and your family.

"At my age it could be the right time, but it has to be right for the club as well."
    boo,
  2. Don Diaz Well-Known Member

Don Diaz
    Ratings:
    +6,334 / 54 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BigDub Leg end !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +5,657 / 45 / -0
    Likely a more reliable source

upload_2015-8-24_10-6-40.png

"London football correspondent for the Guardian"
    • Like Like x 1
  4. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -0
    Phew
  5. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    I do wonder whether some fans watch football outside of Spurs. Bolasie is a QUALITY player who would be great at Spurs. He's exactly the sort of player Spurs fans crave, he gets you off your seat.

People go on about him only scoring 4 goals last season, but diid any of you watch Palace for most of it? They were pretty toothless up front & Bolasie was having to carry them forward from right on the touchline. Forget how many assists & stuff he managed, he was creating chances all over the place.

£20m is undoubtedly high, but who cares about fees anymore, if we're willing to pay it then so be it. Bolasie is an exciting player who has shown he can perform in the Premier League, & there aren't many you can say that about.

I remember when we were linked with Dembele & everyone here got so excited & I felt like the only 1 saying that I had watched a lot of him at Fulham & thought he was an underwhelming signing. Now I feel the opposite with Bolasie, everyone rubbishing him but, personally, I would love him at Spurs. Put it like this, Bolasie would make Lamela look like a League 1 player, & we payed £30m for Erik!

Sometimes I think people just judge players purely on stats & the fact they are not playing for a big club, but that's not looking at the big picture
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OHT2 Well-Known Member

OHT2
    Ratings:
    +1,026 / 14 / -0
    or maybe they just have different opinions to you. I think he's a blast to watch play for CP. He carried them single-handedly in 5 or 6 matches last year. Trouble is, he doesn't know what he's going to do next, so his team-mates don't either - which might explain why his 'stats' aren't so great.

I think he's at early Lennon level, which isn't too shabby, but i have reservations.
    OHT2,
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    [​IMG]
    Ian Dennis

Iandennisbbc

Spurs not agreed a deal for Yannick Bolasie and it's my understanding they have no interest in him #bbcfootball
    • Like Like x 1
  8. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    Well, obviously they have a different opinion to me or else we'd be agreeing, lol. I'm just not sure how some arrive at that opinion, especially when the only real justification I hear for it is stats (& often wrong information, as was the case when people excitedly praised the signing of Dembele because of the goal threat he showed at Fulham . . . ?)

I take what you're saying, but I think that says more about the level of player he has alongside him at Palace than it does Bolasie himself. Fact is, he causes teams problems & can suck opposition defenders out the game as they try to contain him, which would be a dream for Harry. He's tenacious too, & we don't have enough tenacity in our fancy-dan luxury men.

I would fully accept arguments to say that Bolasie isn't the right player for us, but I just don't accept people saying he isn't any good as he is WAY better than people around here credit him
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DragonSpur Well-Known Member

DragonSpur
    Ratings:
    +464 / 5 / -0
    Definitely a exciting player at CP, his unpredictability would be good at Spurs... but will be able to bring that part of his game to Spurs?
    As mentioned previously in other threads, we seem to bring in exciting players and once they get here, we somehow dampen their exciting play and they become predictable. Predictability is what is currently hurting our game. We need some unpredictability in our play, even if our players don't know what he is going to do, meaning the opposition will really have no clue either, which IMO is a good thing in opening up defences.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 88 / -0
    Players from other leagues usually find it difficult to adapt at Spurs... signing players from the same league should hedge against this risk
    Getting both Bolasie and Berahino while selling Lennon and Townsend/Lamela would be fine imo.

We can potentially have a BBC offensive line :D (Bolasie, Berahino and Clinton)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DragonSpur Well-Known Member

DragonSpur
    Ratings:
    +464 / 5 / -0
    In the past, when Spurs used to play fast direct football, foreign players struggled to adapt to at Spurs. But now we tend to play the slow build up style, which is common around Europe, so it shouldn't be that difficult for players to adapt. We may say that the high pressure game is what takes time to adapt to... however, there are several clubs playing this style, and we seem to be the ones that struggle the most (or at least that's the way it seems).
    I do agree, that getting PL proven players (and even domestic proven players), reduces the risk exponentially. (Not that this theory has worked for Liverpool...:D)
  12. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    @DragonSpur, I totally get where you're coming from, but I think it'd be different with Bolasie. The reasons are several really, 1st he isn't a traditional "luxury" player. He is full of tricks and has that flair of a luxury player, but Bolasie is 100% committed all of the time. That commitment in itself would help him succeed in a team like Spurs but it also gives him a firm foundation for his natural flair to come through and be the exciting player for Spurs that he is at Palace. Secondly, he is raised on the pace of the English game, whereas most of our flair players are not and I think that is a big reason why they struggle. European Leagues are a lot easier for flair players to showcase their talents as the culture tends to value technique and skill above anything else and so players are given the time on the ball to produce it. They don't get that in England and have to adjust to the pace of the game before they think about trying any of the little tricks and things that made them successful in Europe. When it doesn't come off, they lose confidence & you tend to discover that their game is actually quite shallow and there isn't much to it beyond their clever flicks & tricks. Finally, Bolasie came through the lower Leagues in England and this also makes me think he'll succeed at a big Premier League club. The reasons for this is that any player in the lower Leagues is used to having to play mid-week games, something only the top clubs in the Premier League need to worry about, and also Palace, in the Championship, were 1 of the top clubs and so the pressures and expectation on the player's shoulders are similar at that level as they are to a top 6 Premier League club. Bolasie showed he could handle that pressure fairly well &was a big factor in them securing promotion.

This is all pretty immaterial as it doesn't actually seem we're trying to sign him anyway, but if we did I think he'd do very well at Spurs
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DragonSpur Well-Known Member

DragonSpur
    Ratings:
    +464 / 5 / -0

I actually agree with your synopsis. Very well written.
    The time on the ball allowed in most continental European leagues is why the highline pressing style is effective. When a team presses high up and constantly, it takes away the time the players have, forcing them to make mistakes. In England, most players are used to not having a lot of time on the ball, so they have to think quicker. So the style we play got slightly modified to increase the pressing, pushing the players further up the field, to try cause mistakes to be made. Hence, why IMO we don't see the highline pressing style we're currently playing work as effectively here as at Dortmund in Bundesliga or Atletico in LaLiga.

If Bolasie comes, then I think it's an exciting player to bring in. I just hope that we don't dampen/eliminate the side of his game that we so desperately need.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Don Diaz Well-Known Member

Don Diaz
    Ratings:
    +6,334 / 54 / -0
    My take on it was from a Bolasie vs Berahino standpoint and the sums being touted around. I read that he was signed a couple of years ago for £350,000, whilst I agree that money is sometimes irrelevant, it seemed that £20m was way too much. I have a Palace sth mate and their opinion was that they would jump at getting that sort of money for him, and he's 26 so assuming he's in the prime of his career, I would expect more clubs to be after him if was that 'special'...I just don't see how much better he might be than a Townsend for example.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,710 / 0 / -0
    I think Bolasie would be a great signing for us.
    • Can play anywhere across the attacking three in a 4-2-3-1.
    • Pace and directness on the ball
    • Can also work well in tight spaces (recall some of the stuff he did to us last season)
    I don't we should spend more than £10-12m on him, but for a price like that I think he could be a very good signing. Gives us depth and honestly may be a better fit for what Poch needs in his take on 4-2-3-1 than several players we currently have on the books.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BigDub Leg end !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +5,657 / 45 / -0
    I was never all that much in favor of this signing due to his lack of end product, but the longer the window goes on and the worse we play the more attractive his pace and directness becomes.
  17. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    @Don Diaz £20m is too much, but if he were £12m it'd be about right in today's market. Therefore, £20m isn't that astronomical really && if we were to get him somewhere between, say £16 or £17m I don't think that'd be outrageous.

Yes he was bought some years ago for £350k, but that was just good business by Palace. At the time Bolasie was just a young 23 year old coming from Bristol City, his experience amounting to between 100-150 games in lower & non-league football. Since then he has become an integral player in securing a fairly big club's promotion to the Premier League (I say 'big' club in the sense that Palace is, by far & away, the biggest club Bolasie has played for, Bristiol City and Plymouth Argyle being the biggest 2 he previously played for) and has now proven himself to be a quality Premier League player. On top of that, in the last 2 years, Bolasie has become a regular international for DR Congo, being 1 of their most important players and performing well at the ACN, helping Congo into 3rd place. All that, for a player still just 26 & about to hit his peak years, easily adds £10-15m onto value.
  18. Don Diaz Well-Known Member

Don Diaz
    Ratings:
    +6,334 / 54 / -0
    Fair enough, so why isn't he attracting anyone else's attention I wonder? Guess I'm frustrated that we might appear to be panic buying and frankly who knows whether there is any truth in the rumours anyway....this transfer malarky is a right old can of worms. We'll be signing Jonjo Shelvey on 31st August or Lee Cattermole.....I can feel it in my water!!!:whistle:
  19. BC87X Well-Known Member

BC87X
    Ratings:
    +1,261 / 36 / -0
    It is starting to look like the good ol L'Equipe move from Yannick only he has been a bit too aggressive and we haven't really show any interest at all nor does he really have the backing of any of the big newspapers in England to make it at least some what plausible. He did reject a new contract in a recently, which is when I think he started to talk about us.

Also some reports say his contract is expiring in the Summer of 2016 while some say it is the following Summer if it is next season I could see Levy trying to make a deal for him below what they currently value him at, which is £20Mil, however if it does expire in 2017 that figure is probably one they would stick too and at that price point I would rather get someone like Yarmolenko.
  20. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -0
    No, I have watched him live on several occasions and he really isn't that brilliant, very similar to Townsend with his end product, sorry but I genuinely believe that he would be a wrong move!
  21. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    contract is until 30.06.2017.
  22. Yidly didly Well-Known Member

Yidly didly
    Ratings:
    +1,352 / 10 / -0
    From the daughter of a physio at Crystal Palace. This is done. Don't shoot me. Just repeating what I was told.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  23. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    @basskadet
    I understand and accept the points you have made. But the problem with it is that at the end of the day, endproduct is all that matters. I have said that I wouldn't like us signing Bolasie, and it was not soley based on stats. Stats were one part and the games of CP I have seen have been others. It's not like it is all based on stats, it is just something objective to bring out. Terms "exiting" or "effective" are always subjective.

I understand that people carve for speed and "exitement" but when we look at it realisticly - Poch do not like traditional wingers. We had two players who might be "exiting" to watch at times and who could offer a lot of pace - Lennon and Townsend. First one is not in the plans anymore, the other is 3rd choice on his position. Bolasie would offer us pace and directness, I do not argue with it. But based on what I have seen so far, I am not sure it is most important for Poch. And furthermore - there is more to the game then speed - and I don't see him posessing this ingenious footballer-brain or ball-controll-master in him.
  24. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    I've got to say I'm very suspicious of how much his critics have really seen of him. I find it very difficult to believe watching Crystal Palace is high on the agenda of most Spurs fans. I've just watched him cause havoc against Chelsea. People go on about his stats being poor, but are these people actually watching him play? I'm not saying we should sign him, but I really don't see why so many people are against having an option off the bench that will come on an impact a game in the way Bolasie can. The guy is an absolute nightmare for tired defenders.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 88 / -0
    He is a handful even for a fresh defender..confident enough take his man on and beat him and his covering mate

end product may be lacking.. but he is more skilled than Townsend
  26. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Cant see this happening now with Sonny and Njie arriving
  27. Geeman1973 Active Member

Geeman1973
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Shame as he's been a star for CP this season
  28. kuntardi Well-Known Member

kuntardi
    Ratings:
    +379 / 10 / -0
    I just want to confirm this. This has been discussed here everytime his name is mentioned.
    Is it true, other than his lack of goals and assist, i don't have any proof of it. Yesterday i watched them against Chelsea, he is throwing in some diagonal and measured dangerous crosses that non of our player would do.
  29. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 88 / -0
    he had a tendency of doing too much last season..like skipping past 4 players and going for goal Messi-style instead of playing others through.
    Haven't watched him this season yet and maybe he has toned it down

I'd still rate him quite highly... there is something about him - his physique and the way he moves with the ball unfazed by players in his path.. which hints that he is going to be an epic winger
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Marsh Well-Known Member

Marsh
    Ratings:
    +1,577 / 16 / -0
    I haven't seen him play this season but I doubt that's changed. It's something he's been doing his whole career.

I'm not keen on him. He's definitely got talent but he's just so inconsistent. Half the time it's as if his brain isn't actually connected to his feet, even he has no idea what he's going to do next.
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.