Yannick Bolasie

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by Yid_1984, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    Are we talking about Bolasie or Adebayor.....?
  2. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I think his real benefit is that he can go passed people but he can also play some D and hold up the ball. He's got the size and strength and he's a good fighter. Obviously he's got a shot too. I was impressed with him yesterday. But I think that the chances of us getting him are only slightly better than MU getting Kane.
  3. Airfixx Well-Known Member

Airfixx
    Ratings:
    +1,769 / 30 / -0
    Arron Lennon. ;o]

...But yeh, Mahrez or Mane are indeed, in terms of 'type', a different proposition entirely.
  4. Airfixx Well-Known Member

Airfixx
    Ratings:
    +1,769 / 30 / -0
    On his day, yes...

However, I think it's fair to say everyone in this thread acknowledge that hes been seen to exhibit the tings you list. It's his consistency and potential impact against parked buses that people question.

Christ, I hope our chances of keeping hold of Kane are FAAAR better than that (Pardew seemed resigned to loosing him during the summer)... Though I'd agree we'd have to similarly massively overpay for him to prize him away as the like of United would re: Kane.
  5. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    That was a pretty impressive assist. He seems so much different to when he was playing in untelevised games at Bristol City that weren't even streamed.
  6. koppel Well-Known Member

koppel
    Ratings:
    +6,161 / 46 / -0
    He's found a lot of consistency this season. Still not completely sold on him, but he's been performing well week in, week out for a few months now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Marsh Well-Known Member

Marsh
    Ratings:
    +1,577 / 16 / -0
    What's that got to do with anything?
    You understand it is possible for people to actually go to games, yeah?
  8. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Signed for Everton.

Transfermarkt reports the deal was worth 28.3M €. Just WOW. How inflated could the market get?

This is sum that is payed for Yannick mthfcking Bolasie. Player who only has speed in his toolbox. Player who has either scored or assisted one goal for every 247 minutes (!!!). That is around same amount we paid for Wanyama and Janssen combined. And fair bit more than Pool payed for Wijnaldum, who was overpriced as well.

Unbeliveble. The Torres-50M-deal does not seem so stupid anymore.
  9. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +1,018 / 7 / -0
    I don't agree with that at all, he is an incredibly skillful player as well!

he may have only scored once every 247 minutes but how many assists did he get or chances did he create?

I think £25m for him is a about right price, 27 years old so still has his best years ahead of him and he was one of if not the best player in the Palace team

I would have had him at Spurs that's for sure.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Its not a case of overinflated, it's the going rate these days, as money generated in TV, Sponsership etc etc increases everything else has a snowball effect right down to the lower leagues, every time a Real Madrid or Man Utd break transfer records, transfer fees in general go up. The minute a player beaks 200k a week, wages go up everywhere, Levy missed that memo and we are simply just 5 years behind that way of thinking, right now we produce youth to keep up, in 5 years we'll be buying £25/30 million players just to keep up, if we started to do that now combined with the youth policy we may have just got ahead of the game, who knows?.......where does it stop tho? Well until people stop buying the "EPL product" i.e. Sky TV, Sponsership company's stop investing in the biggest global brand of football in the world and ticket increases get to a point where people won't pay then it won't stop anytime soon....the days of Newcastle buying Shearer for £15m and filling the rest of the team with 500k to £3m players is over.....Man Utd produced one of the best youth teams in history, but they didn't win them anything, it was the 1 or 2 superstars they were able to add every year coupled with 2 or 3 experienced veterans that won them title after title......we have those "pretty young" veterans in Vertoghen, Lloris, Walker and even Rose to a certain degree and great youth in Kane, Lamela and Alli aswell, just to name a few, but the 1 or 2 invested superstars or lack off will be the difference in the end....the next time we see a 30/40 million pound player here won't be to add the final pieces of the jigsaw, it will be to fill the gap left by an Eriksen or Kane or even Alli as they become someone else's £50/60m player on 150k+ a week.....Gareth Bale sinarieo all over again!!......your almost there Levy, so go finish the job and buy that 1 or 2 players that will take us over the line....ps they won't be cheap, but the rewards could be endless!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Assists were included in this 247 minutes already!!! Thats the very point.

So when he have skills could you elaborate, why haven't the skills transformed into output within 90 EPL games? Maybe the reason is that he is just speedster and this aspect creates halo over all the other skills (also, look at Townsend, Andros; Lennon, Aaron; Walcott, Theo)?

Just sayin' that we got Lamela for less while he was regared true prospect, he has produced goal/assist for every 204 minutes on the field and he is still gathering pace...
  12. Achtung Spurs Well-Known Member

Achtung Spurs
    Ratings:
    +3,103 / 32 / -0
    I wouldn't want him for half that amount.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  13. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    I see your point, but I still disagree. And this is for various reasons.
    1) (this is specific point) - in current market where Pogba deal was looming, Bale deal almost forgotten and Higuain deal "to be completed" we still managed to get Duch league top scorer + one of most reliable DM players in EPL combined for less then Bolasie cost.
    2) So derived from previous point, I am very satisfied that Levy missed that memo. Otherwise we could burn money just like Pool...
    3) You seem to seriously obsessed with shipping out huge money not getting world-class players. Could you clear that one up - which of those options do you want so bad. Because we got world class talent in VDV for peanuts and could have catched Götze for less then 30 million. And here lies the very point of my outburst about Bolasie - he cost more then Götze for example. Or more than Janssen. That is absurd. And that is wasting money just for wasting money.
    4) That all being said, when players who could possibly be worth 50 or 60 million euros become available, there are number of clubs who are interested in them. And now they have options to choose from. Currently the food chain (more or less) is like this -
    Bracket A: Barca, Real, Bayern, City, PSG - very rich and prestigious clubs, pretty much guaranteed Champions League football
    Bracket B: ManU, Chelsea, Juventus, Arsenal, Atletico - this has two subsets - ManU and Chelsea are crazy rich but no CL guarantee; and then Juventus, Atletico and Arsenal - almost guaranteed CL football with quite some money as well.
    Bracket C: Tottenham, Liverpool, Dortmund, Inter Milan - fair amount of money, generally little bit lower finishing positions, but still rather well-off.
    That means we have 10 clubs ahead of us, and 3 clubs on par with us who we have to compete for. It is not as easy to coup that world talent right away. So I think in our situation it is pretty reasonable to find for good deals instead of paying yourself crazy.
    5) You make it seem like your approach has no downsides, but there are. Higher risks might grant reward but they have as big of a downside. With current tactics our biggest downside is (like you said) one of our world class players will be brought for us for (very) big bucks. Well, hate to brake it to you, but this would not bring a world to an end. YES, we have the painful Bale-leave saga in our heads, but remember previous world class guy who left - Modric - replacing him (in some way) went smoother. So one should not think of the worst-worst case scenario when world is not black-white.
    6) Oh, and talking about ManU buying world talent... latest one that helped them win anything (real superstars at some point) I could recall from top of my head - Rooney and Ronaldo - BOTH WERE BOUGHT WHILE BEING 18. Latter one for 12 million pounds that was not that much even....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Too much to cover here so we'll agree to disagree, and just let the Silverware be the judge, jury and executioner on this one.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Agreed to agree to disagree.

Just that... football today is more complicated then just silverware - I'd imagine if we would chase the inferior cups with our best players and play EPL and CL with what is left, we would have pretty good chance to bring some more silverware. Unfortunately we need to stay competitive and fight in the competitions that are so much harder to win.
  16. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0
    He is better than anyone they have to play on the left so its still a positive signing for them overall.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. AussieHotspur Active Member

AussieHotspur
    Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0
    Not going to argue whether or not the fee is justifiable.
    However, speed is definitely not the only tool he has. His ability to beat players one-on-one is almost second to none. He's the type of player that opposing managers will tell defenders to double up on, opening up space for other players.
    As for his lack of assists/goals I think that can be improved in two ways.
    1. Improve his final ball. Whether it be slipping a late through ball or a decent cross.
    2. Putting a decent striker in front of him (something Palace have lacked)
  18. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +1,018 / 7 / -0
    I don't even think overall he's that much of a quick player, nothing compared to Lennon/Townsend Walcott etc anyway.

He was always known for his trickery to beat a man, look at this video :

Yes he beats men for pace every now and then but I would certainly say he beats them more with skill than pace (not saying he's slow by any means either)

Sorry I didn't see that you had put assists in there with the 247 minutes, that was my mistake! Although what I would add he was playing for a team that finished mid table (15th) and only scored approximately 1 goal per game... arguably you could say he should have contributed more if he was that good, but as you compared him to Lamela have a look at the following:

Bolasie only played 26 games last season scoring 5 goals for Palace which was approx. 13% of their goals (39 goals)
    Lamela played 34 games last season 5 goals for Spurs winch was approx. 7.5% of our goals (69 goals)

So arguably on paper Bolasie was more of a contributor to his team than Lamela.

And this is not me saying I would swap Lamela for Bolasie, because I wouldn't swap them as I agree Lamela has the potential to be a much better player. I'm just saying Bolasie is not a bad player at all, he was just in a team where chances were few and far between.
  19. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    I believe that from compilations it is easy to make someone look like footballing god...

And I also see the point in playing in a weaker side, but the approach weighing proportionally how much of the goals he contributed could make look very-very average players pretty good and favours crappy teams. While in big club you first of all have to fight to even get a chance to start a game, in your crappy club you could be undisputed starter.

He was not able to deliver in Championsip either btw. Though younger, but there he managed to assist or score once in 320 minutes. IN CHAMPIONSHIP. One could not ring the "weak team" bell either...

I give you that - time will tell who of us is right. I think that Bolasie is very-very overhyped player who has never been able to turn his strenghts into result and is not worth half for what he was sold for. I might be wrong and when he will blossom in Everton (oh, btw, if he tops "dribbles completed table" it does not count), then you were right :) .
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Airfixx Well-Known Member

Airfixx
    Ratings:
    +1,769 / 30 / -0
    From the CP games I've seen over the last two years, his "meh" performances faaar outnumber the "ooooh!" ones.

...Didn't want him when we were loosely linked to him last summer and certainly not mourning him now at £30m!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -0
    I have several mates who follow Palace, trust me they are laughing all the way to the bank!
    • Agree Agree x 5
  22. Achtung Spurs Well-Known Member

Achtung Spurs
    Ratings:
    +3,103 / 32 / -0
    Until they spunk it all on Benteke and start crying.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    Seems like only yesterday I was watching him tear up League One with Plymouth Argyle.

I say tear up.....Argyle got relegated and Bradley Wright-Philips was top goal scorer lol

Good times. Never looked like he'd ever be worth £25m. Still doesn't.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Harsh, Benteke would probably do well there. Could get around 15 goals for them. Most likely be worth it unless he gets crocked.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Haah, just heard that Everton is looking to offload him.

Think I was significantly outnumbered agaist ppl who thought buying Bolasie for 30 mil in summer of 2016 would have been brilliant addition. Weeellll, Sissoko transfer was not our best ones but buying Bolasie for same would have been much worse I think.

32 games, 2 goals 4 assists. Ofc, he was injured for the big part of his stay with nasty ligament rupture (from Oct 2016 until Dec 2017). But he still had more than half of the last season to prove his worth... but he did not. So where are all those superior skills that would have made him such an asset for us?

Zaha would have been this windows Bolasie (and there will be more and more and more) such one-dimentional, bang on average folks that ppl will wank over, only because of their pace I believe...
  26. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    Zaha is a top player. He’d be ideal for us
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    that one person was edmonds44